Need: Very reliable wireless (Point to point?) 500 feet

TechieSooner

Supreme [H]ardness
Just need something reliable. Being 500 feet between these buildings, I don't think an omni-directional anything would work too well.

So a couple of uni-directional point to point antennas was what I was thinking I need, correct?

That said, what antennas do you recommend (this is direct line of sight- no obstructions)? Basically once it gets to each location I just want to plug it into a switch or something... The only reason I can't do wired is there is nothing but concrete between these buildings.
What other equipment would I need?

Lightning also comes to mind, would whatever the solution be protected against that?

Mainly, I just need this to be a reliable link. Not streaming video or anything like that, but it does need to be reliable!

Many outdoor wireless bridges are just "paddle shaped"...so they're directional...you only have 500 feet of clear shot....don't need to go with some massive dish. Check out some of DLinks biz grade ourdoor AP/bridges. PoE ones would be easier to setup too.

Sounds like a couple yagi antennas are what you're looking for, very direction, and high power. http://www.fab-corp.com/home.php?cat=258

Here's another yagi: http://www.hyperlinktech.com/productfamily.aspx?id=311

And if you really wanted to do this on the cheap, you could get a couple of linksys wrt54gl routers, loaded DD-WRT or Tomato on them. You're looking at around $200 for APs and antennas.

I like these tube Yagis, the fact they are all enclosed. Do I need to worry about lightnight with these at all?
And then all I have coming down from those is what, an ethernet connection and power supply?

Price isn't too much an objective (as long as within reason), my main thing is something reliable and simple.

I like these tube Yagis, the fact they are all enclosed. Do I need to worry about lightnight with these at all?
And then all I have coming down from those is what, an ethernet connection and power supply?

Price isn't too much an objective (as long as within reason), my main thing is something reliable and simple.

You'll want some APC NetProtect units to isolate these. I'd also go with fully certified outdoor grade AP/bridges. Granted DD-WRT is fun and gives a little life to the old wrt54gl jobbers...but I'd not want those in a business production environment...I'd also not want them connected to something with an antenna outdoors....physically the little 70 dollar Linky units are not very robust.

What is your budget for this project?

I have used the Cisco 1300/1400 bridges with much success doing point-2-point and point-to-multi-point links up to 5 miles with LOS. I think they both come with 20dBi antennae built-in. Connections are rock-solid, they have to support Voice and do it very well. These particular bridges are already weather proofed and come with grounding but you would probably also want to put some surge arrestors on the coax.

I don't know what your requirements are but you might also want to look into point to point wireless fiber if you need more bandwidth than 802.11 will provide

Nah this is just for data, not voice or anything like that. But it still needs to be reliable (would fog interfere with this at all???)

hmm I would assume fog would have some impact on data rates but I have no idea on how drastic it would be. If you don't need gigabit + bandwidth I'd say stick with 802.11, the last time I check point to point fiber was pretty expensive.

I know you said that theres concrete between the buildings but you don't have to bury fiber, they also make aerial fiber that you can string up between masts but that would probably add some construction costs...all depends on bandwidth needs.

As a side note, fog will affect 802.11(or any radio waves) as well. Any type of water(rain, fog, tree leaves) that gets in the way of the two antennas will absorb the signal. I can't give any numbers but I doubt it would be anything noticeable.

OK Good (masts would be too much trouble)

Thanks for the input on this stuff.

What kind of connection do these Yagis have (How do I turn it into Ethernet)?

Can you give me an example of a Certified Grade AP/Bridge that could be used for this purpose? My main thing is it'll almost have to be PtP.

I can't give a recommendation on equipment, you might want to give Cisco a call. As for connecting the antenna to the AP you just need to get an AP that supports an external antenna and get the correct cable to go between the two. The antenna will have an N connector of some sort and then you just have to figure out the type of antenna connector is on the AP

My recommendation on equipment would be the Cisco 1310 wireless bridge. A little expensive but you get what you pay for. Has built-in 20dbi antenna so you don't have to mess with external antenna. Comes with everything you need to weather seal it. You can even buy a kit from cisco that has wall-mount masts and stuff if you need it that is specifically made for the bridge. Very professional looking and complete.

I have set these up to link schools and businesses togther, rock solid in every case.

The Procurve 530 AP and an external Yagi would be a good option as well, should be a good bit cheaper than the Cisco solution if price becomes an issue.

Plus, it comes with a lifetime warranty.

Back