Need your help! FAST!

dr_dirtnap

Limp Gawd
I am about to put an order out for some equipment and I am really undecided at what to do... Maybe someone will convince me one way or the other, I hope...

Situation, I am comteplating with 2 Athlon 64 3000+ boxes, or one dual opteron system with 2 246(2ghz) processors.

I really haven't seen any performance benchmarks for folding between the Opteron's and the A64's, I would think they would be pretty close.

Which do you think would be a more productive folding solution?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure my American Express with thank you.... ;)

Dont know about benchmarks, I am just partial to duallies in general. only need one psu, graphics card and hardrive and your folding with 2 instances. Just my 2 cents worth. :D

T-3

The TCO of the dualie in the long run is going to be cheaper, mainly because you dont have 2 hdds, 2 psu's, 2 vid cards etc etc etc.

Less duplicated stuff, less power bill. Power seems to be what is keeping alot of people from folding with everything that they have right now.

wraieghaeien said:
The TCO of the dualie in the long run is going to be cheaper, mainly because you dont have 2 hdds, 2 psu's, 2 vid cards etc etc etc.

Less duplicated stuff, less power bill. Power seems to be what is keeping alot of people from folding with everything that they have right now.
I say go dually....lower cost over time and much more to brag about
:D

I haven’t run any 64-bit duallys, but my single 64/3200 is sweet it just isn’t that much faster then an XP 3200. A tad faster yes, but only you can decide where the comfortable price per WU is.

I won’t discount the “cool factor” of duallys, I have a bunch folding and I love them. Cheapest way to go for sure.

Of course, Dually 64s have the ultimate “cool factor” at the moment and I really do understand the value of that.

A man is measured by the price of his toys. He who dies with the most toys wins. ;)

BillR

My Tyan K8W with dual 250's, 4 Gig PC3200, GeForce6800GT, Twin 74 Gig Raptors, Etc, Etc is my latest folding box. :cool:

On a Points per Hour per Ghz basis it folds Gromacs about 15% faster than my MP's.
It folds Tinkers no faster than my MP's.
And it cost about 5X more than my MP's to build.
Far Cry, Etc look fantastic on it but I cannot play most of the latest games as you need TWO hands to control your character.
The only game which is not as good on it is Microsoft's Dungeon Siege. But that would figure.

Luck......... :D

snip
Tigerbiten said:
...but I cannot play most of the latest games as you need TWO hands to control your character.

Man that sucks TB, I hadn't though of that. Stupid tigers. :mad:

And I vote for the dually too. :)

pageian said:
snip

But if it wasn't for the tiger, we might not have met our friend.
I wish he still had two arms, but I'm damn glad he came around.
He's [H]ard as nails and has got a story nobody can top.

For folding dual opterons is rather expensive, a pair of socket 754s in two systems would be a whole lot cheaper and probably just as effective. It'd take quite a while to pay for the price difference with the electric savings.

Of course if you've got the cash to burn....might as well burn in on a pimped-out folding rig. ;)

dr_dirtnap said:
I am about to put an order out for some equipment and I am really undecided at what to do... Maybe someone will convince me one way or the other, I hope...
What's the prime focus of the systems ?
How many users ?
Situation, I am comteplating with 2 Athlon 64 3000+ boxes, or one dual opteron system with 2 246(2ghz) processors.

I really haven't seen any performance benchmarks for folding between the Opteron's and the A64's, I would think they would be pretty close.

Which do you think would be a more productive folding solution?

Thanks in advance, I'm sure my American Express with thank you.... ;)

Dual Opterons CPU's going for about $900,
two A64's 3000+'s going for $300 plus extra PSU etc.
And two XP 3000's going for $200 plus etc.

If these are or folding AND YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY 64 BIT APPS.

AND YOU DO NOT HAVE ANY PROGRAMS THAT USE DUAL PROCESSORS!!!

And you mention American Express - get 1 XP3000 with a good PSU case etc. NOW. Put it together. Upgrade in 6 months and make a blade with another PSU.

I've got APPS that use dual processors, I've got apps that use 64 bit, I don't have any apps that I've got to run that use both.

Also realize that (from google):
SUNNYVALE, CALIF. -- June 14, 2004 --Today AMD (NYSE: AMD) announced a technology milestone with the completed design of its AMD64 dual-core processors. AMD plans to deliver high-performance dual-core products to the x86 server market in mid-2005 and introduce dual-core solutions for high-end client PCs in the second half of 2005.
So a dually AMD 64 is an end of life product.
Save your American Express unless this is a money making requirement.

Bit the bullet today.....

I had to order something, so I order 2 A64 3000+, 1 A64 3400+, and 1 XP 3000+.

Thanks for your help, hopefully soon their will be a little bump in my F@H production... Still waiting on the two CPU's relic sent.

dr_dirtnap said:
Bit the bullet today.....

I had to order something, so I order 2 A64 3000+, 1 A64 3400+, and 1 XP 3000+.

Thanks for your help, hopefully soon their will be a little bump in my F@H production... Still waiting on the two CPU's relic sent.
well g4u :) i'm sure that your production will skyrocket :D

pageian said:
snip

holy shit, Tigerbitten, you really were bitten by a tiger? I thought it was just some sort of joke...story time?

I'm Tigerbiten because I'm Tiger bitten.
16:45 ish, 25th February 1998.

Luck...... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

we need story time! genmay doesn't have anything good to read at the moment :p

but gosh that'd be quite the thing to tell your kids...

"what happened to your arm daddy?"

"a TIGER BIT IT OFF RAAWWRRRR"

Heh, at this rate we are gonna almost have to sticky a what happened to Tigerbitten thread up at the top.
8)

Back