Nehalem Interchange

dbu8554

Supreme [H]ardness
Alright guys looking to build a budget system for someone.

Do all of these processors interchange with each other on the board (obviously if a board dor no support it) But generally they should? I know it sounds stupid but I have not build or worked on a system for ages and I do not keep up with it so much.

Thanks again.

http://www.cpu-upgrade.com/mb-Intel_(chipsets)/X58_Express.html

Also maybe there is another way to check interchange on sockets and processors looking to hop into a setup that I can upgrade if needed but not upgrade everything because I am super cheap.

I'm not sure what you mean by interchange, but assuming the motherboard in question has a 1366 socket and an X58 chipset, then the list of CPUs you linked most likely represents the CPU options available for that motherboard. *You're always going to do best by looking at the CPU support list for a given motherboard.

Also maybe there is another way to check interchange on sockets and processors looking to hop into a setup that I can upgrade if needed but not upgrade everything because I am super cheap.

I suspect you'll find that some people will recommend an AMD AM3 socket system for maximum potential CPU options for a given board. Regardless of which way you go, I think you're going to find that your ability to upgrade is going to be fairly hindered by any given older platform. It may be advisable to look into something somewhat newer.

By interchange I mean if a computer is equipped one a 1366 socket can I physically install any other x58 based chipset.

Sorry for the confusion.

Also looking into AMD stuff but its much simpler and a whole lot less sockets to deal with. Thanks again for the help.

There is only one x58 chipset... not sure what you're asking.

I guess he mean to add any other 1366 socket processor to any 1366 board.. as example the board came with a i7 960.. then upgrade with a i7 970.. or a Xeon X5690.. both 1366.. if thats the case, then yes totally possible..

you really need to tell us what board, some OEM x58 boards won't work with Xeons as the bios on them are coded to only accept certain i7 chips.

so what board are you going with?

I guess he mean to add any other 1366 socket processor to any 1366 board.. as example the board came with a i7 960.. then upgrade with a i7 970.. or a Xeon X5690.. both 1366.. if thats the case, then yes totally possible..

Totally possible, yet completely impractical.

The 1366 platform is long dead. Finding any chip at this point to upgrade a 1366 box would be an exercise in futility since so few of them remain. Due to the low supply, the prices would be ridiculous. Even if you did find a cheap used one, it would be a side grade at best since newer, faster systems are so cheap and the x58 platform was pretty overclockable as it was.

Totally possible, yet completely impractical.

The 1366 platform is long dead. Finding any chip at this point to upgrade a 1366 box would be an exercise in futility since so few of them remain. Due to the low supply, the prices would be ridiculous. Even if you did find a cheap used one, it would be a side grade at best since newer, faster systems are so cheap and the x58 platform was pretty overclockable as it was.

Agreed. Most CPUs today are faster and cheaper, and run on motherboards that are much more fully featured than a typical X58 board. But, to better answer the OP's question, the scenerio with X58 boards is similar to that of X79/C600 boards. Motherboards that are designed to use i7s can sometimes use a Xeon as well and motherboards that are designed to use Xeons can sometimes use i7s. This ability is NOT guaranteed and is more likely to succeed on a higher-end board, like the Asus WS or Pro boards, and their ROG line. A Google search or manufacturer inquiry should help you identify whether or not a Xeon will work on a particular board, although the tech monkeys that work at many manufacturers will simply refer to their official supported CPU list and not what may actually work (although unsupported).

The only real benefit to a Socket 1366 Xeon is possible better overclocking and now the ultra cheap low speed Xeon hex cores that are coming available as old servers get parted out, which can be overclocked to the moon on a good X58 motherboard. As was mentioned above, this only really makes sense if you can get a good X58 motherboard for cheap (the good ones are becoming much more pricey now as they become more and more scarce). Top bin hex core DP Xeons (X5680s and X5690s) still command a huge price, as people still look to them to upgrade older servers.

Back