NES PC Build Project

DaBuddMon

Limp Gawd
Hello all! I haven't posted much in [H]ard lately, but figured I'd take the time to show off a project I recently finished. If this isn't the right forum to post this in, then my apologies and please move appropriately.

Now this isn't a new idea - many people have already done NES PC mods in the past. But I've always been a little disappointed with the other mods I've seen because they act and look too much like a PC. Now yes, I know, they ARE a PC, and I'm not trying to belittle those other builds, but I wanted to make a true NES Arcade box that only has one purpose - play NES games. I've always been an avid Nintendo fan because of the NES, and to be able to build this box and finish this project, and to share it with the online community means a lot to me. The NES I used as the case was non-working, and the NES case was repainted because it was so beat up. Here are some pics of the finished build:

5072411674_8f56929218.jpg

5071809375_cb6b7b0f75.jpg

5072411110_ff10a0136e.jpg

5072410794_dfbec5c856.jpg

To get a better idea of the box, and the project as a whole, here are youtube videos that documented the progress. The part 1 video's quality is very bad - but part 2 and part 3 make up for that:

NES PC Build Project - Part 1
NES PC Build Project - Part 2
NES PC Build Project - Part 3

Let me know what you think!

Wow that's pretty sweet. What kind of emulator are you running?

This is amazing, dude. I saw what you did to modify the windows 7 startup and was blown away. How exactly did you get it to do that? I'm sure it's a long story but I'd love to learn how to do modifications like that so if you could give me a push in the right direction I'd be stoked.

Saw the startup and said "wow". You virtually hid the entire windows UI

@ynih

I'm using VirtuaNES. Nestopia suffers from input lag when vsync is enabled, or else I would use it instead. But I've had no issues with VirtuaNES.

@Bdonedge

It involves some dll "hacking" (for lack of better term) to change the startup messages and remove some of the images you would normally see. Look up authui.dll, basebrd.dll, and winlogon.exe.mui - there's also some youtube videos that show this stuff, which was how I started to learn.

Love this. You thinking about making these to sell?
Im very interested in building my own as well. I was thinking Snes but im not sure how to go about it.
Could you show me a list of components in this build? Are you using a zotac ion?

Love this. You thinking about making these to sell?
Im very interested in building my own as well. I was thinking Snes but im not sure how to go about it.
Could you show me a list of components in this build? Are you using a zotac ion?

No, I don't think I would sell this one or make another one unless maybe for a friend. If you are interested in which components to use, watch the videos - you'll get a pretty good idea of what you would need if you wanted to build your own.

BTW, forgot to mention that the reason the Part 1 video is so bad in quality is because I'm using an old Olympus camera in that one. Plus I didn't really edit the video much at all. Parts 2 and 3 were filmed with a Vado HD. The only downside with the Vado is that it doesn't have any focus feature to it - at all. So if you see some shots in parts 2 and 3 that look a bit blurry, that's the reason why.

looking good, looking good. I love your video editing style, at least in part (KHAAAAN) two.

I agree on the 'keep it stock' game plan. While there is merit in the non-stock NESPC, there's nothing like the old school.

If you want to try something different for stiffness, I would suggest running your standoffs all the way through the NES, and putting a sheet of 3/16 or even 1/4 steel outside the NES. With appropriate nuts on the standoffs, you could have the NES stand off of the steel, giving you the first Floating NES PC.

That's an impressive (and even comprehensive!) mod!

I'm going to have to agree with you (and Wiregeek) on keeping it as stock as possible. Nothing like almost not being able to tell there's a PC in there! I was hoping you'd be using the controller ports as I watched, and you certainly didn't disappoint.

Your intro video on boot, as well as the style you presented them in really made it top notch :D

Hey Ladic,

I think after the paint, wetsand paper, miscellaneous other hardware, and PC hardware, it probably came around to $400. However, I also had to buy a dremel and solder station (I had never used either before), so that adds on to it. I also ended up getting the Vado HD camera so I could make better videos, but I was in need of a new camera anyway.

Good job man. As a finishing touch, you should wire up a random event timer to cause the system to reset every second just as the original did when things weren't quite perfect between the cartridge and lockout chip.

Awesome build! What do your temps look like with that CPU cooler being upside-down?

If you haven't already been there, take a look at Ben Heck's Website

He's portabalized and modded just about every system out there.

Awesome build! What do your temps look like with that CPU cooler being upside-down?

If you haven't already been there, take a look at Ben Heck's Website

He's portabalized and modded just about every system out there.

My temps were running above 60 degrees celcius on full load (Prime 95) until I had fitted nylon spacers on the original feet to give the box more clearance. Amazing that the small difference made a huge difference in temps. I tested the box for 2 days with Prime 95 on full load and it never went above 55 celcius. The good thing is that, playing the roms, you'll never get near full load potential, so it usually sits around 35-45 degrees celcius.

I've actually seen Ben Heck's stuff, I think it was shown on Hardocp's front page one time.

Top notch man! I would def buy one! Im currently playing NES on a Gamepark Wiz :) Now thats dedication playing on a 2.8" screen :eek:

Thanks for the kudos all. Tomorrow is the NES's 25th Anniversary (can't believe it has been that long). Would be a great front page headline for the occasion. ;)

Funny you said that - it was scheduled to be on our news section tomorrow :)

I think I might add a segment on NES mods over the years.

That's pretty awesome how you got the controller to work over usb. It makes me want to try this as well.

Nice job! I'm impressed!

Was this your first modding project? (I only ask since at the end of part 3 you said you had to learn to do quite a few things to get this project done)

Nice job! I'm impressed!

Was this your first modding project? (I only ask since at the end of part 3 you said you had to learn to do quite a few things to get this project done)

I've done PC mods before, but nothing like this. So I would say yes, it's my first.

Oh, forgot to post it here:
http://www.thatsitguys.com/articles/25th-anniversary-of-the-nintendo-entertainment-system

I didn't bother browsing through the thousands of projects. Since yours happens to be made for just this occasion ;)

Well, that and your last video is pretty epic - I'd love to actually get a mame setup like that. Unfortunately, Gauntlet Legends / Dark Legacy doesn't play too well.

Oh sweet, thanks Meleniumshane90. That's an awesome cake. :D

Recently I bought some an old NES and after a a few days of researching about modding them, I stumbled upon your modded one and hands down it's the best one that I've seen. Prior to your's all I found was htpc's and my goal was to have a make shift MAME machine that could also handle nes games.. Hyperspin seems to be a perfect solution except for it wouldn't allow more than 2 players and I have a few MAME games that I would like 4. Any how, my question is how were you able to retain the stock nes controller plugs with doing the coversion to usb on the inside? Does the retrousb's nes controller kit work from the other side of the plug?

Back