Netbook or Celio Redfly?

Ashton

2[H]4U
I want a device I can leave in my car for answering email and posting on forums. These two seem to be in about the same pricerange (internet will be wifi or bluetooth to my cell)

Because I'm not realy looking for much more than 'net surfing (and text mostly) these are both very tempting. I'm looking for opinions on which is better (and keep in mind this will get banged up pretty good. either left in a car or thrown in a bookbag full of junk)

Any thoughts?

EDIT:
Or shoulc I just save longer and get the HTC Raphael? (I'm thinking the thumbboard will get very old very fast when used often for posting and email)

The Redfly requires that you have a Windows Mobile device already. It is not a standalone machine. I would personally go with a netbook. The Redfly really is very much a niche product.

The Redfly requires that you have a Windows Mobile device already. It is not a standalone machine. I would personally go with a netbook. The Redfly really is very much a niche product.

if you look at my signature line, I have an Axim X51v (612mhz, 54mb ram, WM6.1) and plan to upgrade to a TouchPro, but I'm leaning towards a netbook as those seem a hair cheeper...

if you look at my signature line, I have an Axim X51v (612mhz, 54mb ram, WM6.1) and plan to upgrade to a TouchPro, but I'm leaning towards a netbook as those seem a hair cheeper...
Ah, well, I have signatures disabled. I personally would much rather have a netbook over my Touch Pro for browsing the internet (even more so over an old Axim). It isn't exactly fast compared to a netbook.

(that was supposed to be "64mb ram" for any nit-pickers reading this... cant half type on this keyboard)

well the Axim is a RISC processor @600mhz and most netbooks are standard X86 @ 900mhz or less (most performing under that mark in RL tests), so I assumed speed wasnt a real issue...

(that was supposed to be "64mb ram" for any nit-pickers reading this... cant half type on this keyboard)

well the Axim is a RISC processor @600mhz and most netbooks are standard X86 @ 900mhz or less (most performing under that mark in RL tests), so I assumed speed wasnt a real issue...

An x86 will beat the Axim hands down for web browsing. With an x86 netbook you get a full desktop web browser with full Flash 9/10, Java, etc. support.

True RISC is slower clock for clock than CISC. Additionally, x86 processors in netbooks have several times more cache on the processor and faster memory buses. Add in several times more RAM on top of that, and you get a much richer web experience than an Arm based Windows Mobile device can provide. You trade off battery life and size for that power, though. You also wouldn't have to carry two devices, as you would with the RedFly.

An x86 will beat the Axim hands down for web browsing. With an x86 netbook you get a full desktop web browser with full Flash 9/10, Java, etc. support.

True RISC is slower clock for clock than CISC. Additionally, x86 processors in netbooks have several times more cache on the processor and faster memory buses. Add in several times more RAM on top of that, and you get a much richer web experience than an Arm based Windows Mobile device can provide. You trade off battery life and size for that power, though. You also wouldn't have to carry two devices, as you would with the RedFly.

Who said I was going to stop carrying my Axim? untill we have instant-on UMPCs (almost, but not quite) I cant beat it for jotting down notes or looking up contact info. My only real gripe is it doesnt have a keyboard. Yes, I can get a BT keyboard and I did, but it's very awkward to use, especially when I sit down in a chair for only 2 minutes and want to sent an email or want to check up on a thread on a forum. (yes these can be done wiht the on-screen keyboard, but much more than 2-lines of email/post (which is mostly mispelt) it becomes awkward and tiresome...

This would be for times between PDA and Laptop (I really dont want to lug my 2.0ghz Tureon64 X2 laptop everywhere I go - partly because it's expensive!)

How do netbooks handles being left in the car on a hot day?

How do netbooks handles being left in the car on a hot day?

Last I checked very well. Lots of companies are giving them to service people (I know for a fact about a guy that goes out to climb power poles and leaves his in his truck all the time)

I have a Redfly and have been meaning to sell it but just haven't gotten around to it. It sucks ass. I was thinking it would be able to replace a netbook but it just can't. There is too much lag over the USB connection to even type a document up in Word Mobile. You can't even use some browsers with the damn thing either. Unless it's my phone being slow (Palm Treo Pro), avoid at all costs. It's a cool idea, especially being able to use it over Bluetooth so you can keep it in your pocket, but the execution sucks.

Netbook for the win. Avoid the redfly
signature_distory.jpg

Who said I was going to stop carrying my Axim? untill we have instant-on UMPCs (almost, but not quite) I cant beat it for jotting down notes or looking up contact info. My only real gripe is it doesnt have a keyboard. Yes, I can get a BT keyboard and I did, but it's very awkward to use, especially when I sit down in a chair for only 2 minutes and want to sent an email or want to check up on a thread on a forum. (yes these can be done wiht the on-screen keyboard, but much more than 2-lines of email/post (which is mostly mispelt) it becomes awkward and tiresome...

This would be for times between PDA and Laptop (I really dont want to lug my 2.0ghz Tureon64 X2 laptop everywhere I go - partly because it's expensive!)

A netbook would certainly fit in that space. The EEE PC 900 --Celeron M 900MHz CPU, Linux model-- I have can boot in 30 seconds, and not much longer beyond that is needed to connect to a wifi router.

I've seen the 4GB internal storage 1.6Ghz Atom EEE PC 900 go for around $150 in various sales. Chuck a 16GB SDHC in the internal slot and you a pretty decent machine that you could afford to loose or break. The keyboard takes some getting used to, but most people get the hang of it fairly quickly.

A netbook would certainly fit in that space. The EEE PC 900 --Celeron M 900MHz CPU, Linux model-- I have can boot in 30 seconds, and not much longer beyond that is needed to connect to a wifi router.

I've seen the 4GB internal storage 1.6Ghz Atom EEE PC 900 go for around $150 in various sales. Chuck a 16GB SDHC in the internal slot and you a pretty decent machine that you could afford to loose or break. The keyboard takes some getting used to, but most people get the hang of it fairly quickly.

I used the old eee 701 series and expected waaaaay too much out of it. Now that I ahve the option of taking my real laptop if I need it, or taking a netbook, my expectations are much lower (email, forums, possibly movie or two, and some music)

I'm watching a few eee-s on eBay right now. It's scary how other brands (HP, Acer) cost 2x-4x as much for the SAME SPECS on the netbooks!

Back