Netflix Ditches Five-Star Ratings in Favor of a Thumbs-Up

Eh time to cancel.

That was it for you? The damn ratings system?? Holy shit, that did not take much..

AS in for the Iron Fist show, I actually like it.. Its fun and being i'm totally unfamiliar with it I don't have this premonition of how "exactly" I think it should be .. So its a fun show to watch, but I guess everyone wants more crap that is a carbon copy of the same ol shit on OTA tv so they can continue to feel miserable about their lives and have warrant to keep bitching about every damn thing while crying that Trump won even though soo called experts declare he didn't have a chance in hell..

We have become a nation of cry babies.. We deserve to have our asses whooped on for a while.... smh fussing over a god damn rating system.. Honestly, with the dumbing down to not "offend" americans, i'm amazed we are even allowed to do the thumbs up or down system without someone going off the deep end

That was it for you? The damn ratings system?? Holy shit, that did not take much..

AS in for the Iron Fist show, I actually like it.. Its fun and being i'm totally unfamiliar with it I don't have this premonition of how "exactly" I think it should be .. So its a fun show to watch, but I guess everyone wants more crap that is a carbon copy of the same ol shit on OTA tv so they can continue to feel miserable about their lives and have warrant to keep bitching about every damn thing while crying that Trump won even though soo called experts declare he didn't have a chance in hell..

We have become a nation of cry babies.. We deserve to have our asses whooped on for a while.... smh fussing over a god damn rating system.. Honestly, with the dumbing down to not "offend" americans, i'm amazed we are even allowed to do the thumbs up or down system without someone going off the deep end
It was probably the breaking point for him at the end of a long road of decisions Netflix made that he didn't like. Which is how most people get turned off, I would imagine.

And you're looking at it from the wrong perspective. The rating system was dumbed because someone got offended, and it wasn't any of the millions of paying subscribers.

it depends on what era of ironfist you look at.. they picked the era of the comic where ironfist was a westerner, before and after that ironfist was an asian. while people aren't happy about it it's the only ironfist that actually has a legitimate origin story line they can use, the other ironfist's don't.. basically ironfist follows the same concept that deadpool does where the hero isn't the same person over it's history, deadpool dies and comes back multiple times as different people and ironfist is the same. but besides that they actually did a really good job with the show and it's definitely worth watching whether or not some ones mad about the main character race choice.

Deadpool has always been Wade Wilson just as Danny Rand has always been Iron Fist. Danny the American kid from NYC. Been that way since the early 70s and is still that way even with the multiple universe mash-up Marvel just did in their comics.

Frankly, I don't care about ratings because I don't care what other people think about a show. Or music. Or any other form of art. I know what I like. I cherry pick what looks to be the best to me, depending on the subject matter and who was involved (actors, directors, writers, etc.), and then take a look. If I don't like it, then I stop watching and go on to something else. That eliminates 99% of the material out there. Do I miss some good stuff that way? Sure, but I also miss a lot of crap. Given the little free time I have, I still can't keep up with the few shows that I consider worth watching, let alone the stack of books I have waiting for me to get to.

In my eyes, anything that was less than 4 stars in the past is now going to be a thumbs down. I wonder how Netflix rationalizes that.
Well I'd go as low as 3.5, but only after I worked my way through the 4* moves/shows and I'm not close to getting through those.

Frankly, I don't care about ratings because I don't care what other people think about a show. Or music. Or any other form of art. I know what I like. I cherry pick what looks to be the best to me, depending on the subject matter and who was involved (actors, directors, writers, etc.), and then take a look. If I don't like it, then I stop watching and go on to something else. That eliminates 99% of the material out there. Do I miss some good stuff that way? Sure, but I also miss a lot of crap. Given the little free time I have, I still can't keep up with the few shows that I consider worth watching, let alone the stack of books I have waiting for me to get to.
Again ratings in Netflix are not what other people think. Red stars are based on your yellow stars.

Again ratings in Netflix are not what other people think. Red stars are based on your yellow stars.
Yep. Common misconception. The stars are not a running average of how all Netflix users ranked the film.

I think it's a worse system, but I can understand why.

I'm a big believer in that actions speak louder than words. And I believe that most people don't consciously know what they really like and dislike. We like to believe that we're more superior, either morally, intellectually, etc., but often our actions say otherwise. In the end, if you learn from watching The Lion King more than you'd learn from Hamlet, isn't that a good thing? Why should we have to pretend that boring is good, when we're not going to watch anyway?

I think the reason this move looks stupid is because it IS stupid. The ratings aren't there for netflix, they are there for the viewers. Putting what netflix is interested in or runs their algorithms off of front and center for the viewer, or worse tryign to dumb it down to a single vector, is an exercise in stupidity. The viewer already knows that a 3 start documentary and a three star comedy don't mean the movie will be equally enjoyable. That's why one was filed away under documentary and one was filed away under low brow comedy.

Back