Netgear wireless Router for 9.99 after MIR!

Just spotted this one too....sooooo cheap.
anyone know anymore about it...easy to setup/use etc...

I hate mail in rebates; why not instant rebate. Save more time and money for the retailers. :confused:

lazyman said:
I hate mail in rebates; why not instant rebate. Save more time and money for the retailers. :confused:

only about 10% of people send in MIRs, so no it doesn't same them money.

I bought this router in August for my sister going back to school. The setup is a breeze, functionality is good, performance is good. No complaints about the product.

The rebate company Netgear uses blows chunks..

They require (for this one) that the rebate be sent in 30 days after purchase. My rebate was 10 days after purchase (from the time you get the order submission form). No problem, it was in the mail ASAP.

The rebate company denied my rebate because of insuficient documentation. I went the F!@# off. After I composed myself I called up the company to ask why it was denied. They said it was lacking a receipt. I calmly said this was an online purchase, I received only 1 physical piece of paper (the packing list) which I sent (original) and the copy of all emails from 'egg about the order, and the confirmation screens which I printed out. I asked them what more could I provide to prove to them the purchase date and price without having a physical paper receipt? They hemmed and hawed until they agreed that this was an online purchase and now my documentation was sufficient. I ended the call feeling OK. 6 weeks from my purchase (5 weeks from when I sent the forms off) had now passed.

To this day, the rebate company has not sent me my check in the mail. The rebate was submitted to them on 15th of August and here it is 11 weeks later for that 6-8 week rebate.

www.wheresmyrebate.com is the outsource netgear used then and the address for the current rebate is the same.

Screw netgear rebates.......my 2 cents... :D

Mine arrived on Saturday. Sent the rebates in yesterday. I hope I don't have the same headaches that Bullitt had. I've got my fingers crossed.

I purchased this router months ago and the first one that came was DOA. I had to send it back at $10 shipping(half the rebate). The second was OK for 2 days, then it kept dropping the connection. I was on the phone with some guy in INDIA for over an hour trying to get this thing working again. After about 5-6 hard resets, it picked up an internet connection for a while. Then 15 min later it dropped again. I ended up ordering a Linksys and I've been very happy with it for over a month. I gave the Netgear to my fiancee's father. He had it working for a while, then it lost connection again. No more Netgear for me. Just a head's up. I'm sure others have used this router with no problems, but my opinion is... it's crap.

Yep, sure did. I had forgotten to when I installed it, but the support guy had me do it when I called. That didn't seem to make any difference.

I'm gonna pass on this one...thanks guys...Pain in the ass rebate + problems with the router = me waiting for another deal....there seems to be deals on wireless routers every week maybe i can get a no rebate deal.

I have that very same router, its pretty nice, but sometimes the link between it and my DSL modem dies, don't know what that is about, I mean, I restart the router and everything is fine (Don't have to touch the modem). The other thing I'm not a fan of is whenever you change a single setting in the configuration the router needs to reset, kinda a pain in the ass if you are trying to port forward. Other problems are that the Wireless ablitity takes a while to start up (I don't see the router on any of my machines with wireless cards for a good 3 minutes).

But, for $9.99 I'd definatly say do it, everything else on this router works fine.

for how much is the rebate? The pdf says "$10" at the top, the list at the bottom shows "$20" and the website (newegg) says "$30"? Which one is right?

I got a 614 last fall with a similar rebate and it came quite a while after i made my purchase. But it came :)

BBowermaster said:
Hmm, haven't had those problems, I have MR814v2, do you guys have the older revision?

My version is about a year old now, it may very well be the MR814v1, I'll have to check when I get home from work. If this is an updated version please disregard the problems I stated in my first post as they have mostly been fixed.

I haven't had any major problems with the Netgear rebate system after sending in about five in the past three years. All have arrived usually on the tail end of the 6-8 week period.

I did have problems with the MR814v1 freezing with a typical traffic load but only after flashed with a later firmware. After flashing back to a previous version it no longer froze and is currently still in operation at my sister's place.

According to the rebate site, my rebate has been mailed 11/9/04. I have not seen it in my mailbox yet, but I'll take it on good faith it was sent out.

Purchase date : 8/9/04
Rebate mailed: 11/9/04
Woo hoo... Drinking money for the weekend (I hope)

According to the reviews I'm reading online a lot of people are having connectivity problems with this router. I was stoked about this deal but after reading the reviews I'm looking for something else. Just something to think about.

Yeah... this rotuer is crap. The range is sooo bad. Especially if you have even the slightest amount of concrete in your walls. Max range on this was lower than my bluetooth USB dongle... About 30 feet.

I mean... look at it! It's ugly and it looks like it wouldn't even do 30 feet...
33-122-011-17.JPG

I'd stay away from this... even with the rebate.

I disagree, the router was good and for the price I paid ($70 for router and PCMCIA adapter before rebate) it was a fair deal. With the rebate, it was better.

The performance is on par with my Asus WL500g router and I have it transmitting from 2nd floor, through 4 walls one of which is brick. I got similar signal quality and strength with this netgear model (I made sure it worked before I boxed it up to send to my sis).

Netgear has consistantly been in the upper tier for soho 802.11 gear for range and speed, thats one of the reasons I suggested it. If I were to buy another wireless AP/router, I'd have to get another Asus WL500g, linksys, or netgear in those orders. I wont part with the asus for the features and reliability.

I had the MR814v2 until just a few days ago (traded it to my brother for an 8 port switch since I had the 4 port router filled up).

Range was decent, I could use it from 50 feet away in the dorm, thru 4 concrete walls. In my house I used it from up to 70 feet away, and I once did an open-air test over a range of 275 feet to my neighbors house, but that was with the router in a window at my house and me hanging out the window with my laptop at the neighbors house.

You do absolutely need the latest firmware with this. The one that came on mine (purchased a year ago) worked with my old Prism2 based miniPCI card, but would regularly choke with the Broadcom 54g card in my new one. Updating the firmware made it work perfectly for the last 5 months, until my RA decided to fire up his D-Link AP, and both of our APs would regularly fight, even though they were on different channels. If one was on, the other wouldn't stay working.

Overall, I was happy with this, and would recommend it, especially at the price offered here. I have since upgraded to a WRT54GS, and think that Linksys' Linux-based models are the way to go for higher end setups, but for the price, this AP can't be beat.

I'm using this thing, picked it up for $40 two years ago on ebay, 10/100 switch is fast, wireless seems even snappier on web pages.

Easy to setup, easy use. Even with 512bit WEP enabled (4x 128bit keys)

I'm using the wireless with cheapo Fry's Friday Ad Special Airlink+ cards, 1x802.11b PCMCIA in mom's compaw laptop, and one Airlink+ 54G PCI-Card with a +6db gain external antenae to get the Tx'er up off the floor and get hella sweet pings (lower then my 3com onboard NIC to the switch brought me).

Highly reccomend: if you want 11mb/sec at ranges over 100ft just slap a +6db omni-directional antenae on this beast, and keep the firmware updated.

Plenty of pages on broadbandreports.com about this lovely little gem.

Hooligan said:
Yeah... this rotuer is crap. The range is sooo bad. Especially if you have even the slightest amount of concrete in your walls. Max range on this was lower than my bluetooth USB dongle... About 30 feet.

I'd stay away from this... even with the rebate.

I'm using it at around 55ft through 5 walls at full 11mb/sec, with a $15 PCi NIC and a $20 booster antenae. I think your problem is diagnosable as PEBCAK.

Got mine, and who ever said this is crap either go a bad one (happens with all companies) or cant set shit up right (but the directions are clear as day)

My bridge to my XBOX is about 100ft away, through 4 or 5 walls and a main wet wall. Plus this house is at least 90 years old with thick walls. You sir need to retry your set-up or just admit you were wrong.

my two cents...

I have used Netgear for years with zero problems. I recently upgraded from this router we are all discussing and it never skipped a beat. I would've kept it for a stand-by unit if I hadnt sold it to fund Half-Life 2, Halo 2, NFSU 2, etc.;)

btw amazon has a offer which basically is a 30 usd rebate on a 36 usd netgear m814 router so u'd land up paying 6 usd for the router.. ordered it and am gonna send the rebate tomorrow..

cheers

wazzup said:
btw amazon has a offer which basically is a 30 usd rebate on a 36 usd netgear m814 router so u'd land up paying 6 usd for the router.. ordered it and am gonna send the rebate tomorrow..

cheers

i didnt see the rebate on amazon ....

link>?

Amazon link

ok turns out they've increased the price by 3 dollars.. so with the rebates its gonna come upto $9.94..

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Back