Network and syncing files/apps

talley

Limp Gawd
I was wondering if there was a way to sync files automaticlly and simply over a network with windows computers?

I have several files on my work computer that I backup to my server. I use a batch file and schedule a task to run it.

well, i would like to sync several computers at home for documents and various programs data so they are all update in which version of the file they have for my not so computer literate parents. eventually id like to set it up so that all the computers they use just load apps and data from a server over the network(100mbs 16port smc router) so that everything is the same on all the computers to confuse them even less. also would make maintaining everything a lot easier. i have the summer to do this, so time isnt an issue.

edit - offline files sounds like the answer to what i asked originally. thanks a lot.

Here's what I'd do.

Re-direct the my documents folders to the same share on the network. Then, use offline file synch for any laptops, or if you have 0 laptops, pick a desktop. Offline files are really for machines that leave the network, IE laptops. But it also works as an ad-hoc backup, since you keep a copy of the share in the offline files on the client machines as well as the server.

This will make every machine look at the same directory for user data, uses my documents (making all the build in shortcuts pointing there usefull), and provides some backup for critical data. Good luck.

that would work fine for the data.

any suggestions or ideas as to what i would look into for the shared/centralizes application ting?

Google for EZ back it up. It is freeware and works great. The guy stopped development on it in November but it works fine as is. I set it up for my parents so that they can backup their docs and digital photos on their network to a NAS box I set up for them. I also use it at my house to back up my server and documents on several computers and laptops.

talley said:
that would work fine for the data.

any suggestions or ideas as to what i would look into for the shared/centralizes application ting?
Sharing applications is another can of worms. The process for each application can vary, can you explain more what you want to do and what applications?

Generally applications should stay installed on each machine's HDD and shouldn't be shared, just share the apps data (point data paths to network shares), not that app itself.

The kinds of applications are things such as quickbooks, anytimer, word, excel, photoshop, etc. the way your describing does sound a lot simpler and much more sensible. what about for the users profiles, is there a way to centralize them? also, i wouldnt mind and suggestions/links to search terms for information about centralizing everything as i'd like to learn about it and have no idea where to start.

talley said:
The kinds of applications are things such as quickbooks, anytimer, word, excel, photoshop, etc. the way your describing does sound a lot simpler and much more sensible. what about for the users profiles, is there a way to centralize them? also, i wouldnt mind and suggestions/links to search terms for information about centralizing everything as i'd like to learn about it and have no idea where to start.
As Phoenix86 mentioned above, your not going to be able to centralize applications. It's not feasible. As far as user profiles, you could use roaming profiles, but you'd need a dedicated server to handle this, and it's not really something to do in a home setting. I'm not trying to be an ass here, but if I was you, I'd take a step back, stop flying off after every buzzword you've read in other threads today, and take sometime to think rationally about this. I'm all for making things easier for non-computer-literate people, but there comes a point where what you want may not be feasible, and your best bet is to educate the users instead of setting up some enterprise-level configuration. I'm also all for learning how to do things, but you first need to slow down and decide what's rational and feasible.

Yes, and no.

Yes, it's possible with solutions like citrix/terminal server.

No, it's not really feasable for a home environment. Since you require a license/user or computer (depending on the EULA), centralized apps generally don't help with licensing (reducing # of licenses required) You are not going to be pressed for HDD space on your client machines, install the software locally. This will reduce network traffic, and make running program faster since the app data is local.

Why are you even considering centralized apps?

djnes said:
As Phoenix86 mentioned above, your not going to be able to centralize applications. It's not feasible. As far as user profiles, you could use roaming profiles, but you'd need a dedicated server to handle this, and it's not really something to do in a home setting. I'm not trying to be an ass here, but if I was you, I'd take a step back, stop flying off after every buzzword you've read in other threads today, and take sometime to think rationally about this. I'm all for making things easier for non-computer-literate people, but there comes a point where what you want may not be feasible, and your best bet is to educate the users instead of setting up some enterprise-level configuration. I'm also all for learning how to do things, but you first need to slow down and decide what's rational and feasible.

I agree that its probably not feasible for me to do much more then point the programs to a shared folder with the applications data in it. One problem that could pop up with that is that the users tend to end up using the same file at the same time, is there a way to set it so only one person can use the file at once? The roaming profiles would probably work for this, I haven't used them before. the network is about 6-7 desktops and 3 laptops connected together through a mixed wired/wireless network with about 15 other computers that end up on and off the network for various reasons. Not a huge amount of computers I know.

I'd still like to know what I could at least look up so I could learn about the other things, even if i can't actually use them. I've done many, many things trying to teach the users with little success over several years, it might be me, but this should simplify things greatly for them. Sorry if I sound a little cranky, and if I used any buzzwords to ill effect, although I don't spend a lot of time in this part of the forum. I like to ask questions here because I generally get good answers too them. thank you for tolerating me, later.

Phoenix86 said:
Yes, and no.

Yes, it's possible with solutions like citrix/terminal server.

No, it's not really feasable for a home environment. Since you require a license/user or computer (depending on the EULA), centralized apps generally don't help with licensing (reducing # of licenses required) You are not going to be pressed for HDD space on your client machines, install the software locally. This will reduce network traffic, and make running program faster since the app data is local.

Why are you even considering centralized apps?

The idea interests me as I sorta said above, basicly is the only reason that I can really come up with at the moment. Which I admit isn't a really good reason.

Well, there's nothing wrong with doing things just to learn, but when that starts costing $, well you fill in the blanks...

Do you have a server OS? Are you willing to fork out $ for one? Got a fairly high powered system you can dedicate for this use?

Here's some info on terminal servers.

Basically you setup the server with the apps you want to share, then you connect to the server and it gives you a terminal desktop with access to the server's applications. It takes some horsepower on the PC to run multiple logins (since each desktop connection's processes are run locally on the server) as well as licensing for the server OS.

Phoenix86 said:
Well, there's nothing wrong with doing things just to learn, but when that starts costing $, well you fill in the blanks...

Do you have a server OS? Are you willing to fork out $ for one? Got a fairly high powered system you can dedicate for this use?

Here's some info on terminal servers.

Basically you setup the server with the apps you want to share, then you connect to the server and it gives you a terminal desktop with access to the server's applications. It takes some horsepower on the PC to run multiple logins (since each desktop connection's processes are run locally on the server) as well as licensing for the server OS.

I have legal copies of windows 2000 server and advanced server from some school stuff I did. I have a old p4 1.6 with 1gb of rdram that I can dedicate, and I maybe able to borrow some more slightly newer stuff if I need to. would that be grossly underpowered for the task, I realize it isnt very powerful. the schools in the area i'm in normally have pretty good student programs for getting ahold of stuff cheaper, although not everything is.

talley said:
I have legal copies of windows 2000 server and advanced server from some school stuff I did. I have a old p4 1.6 with 1gb of rdram that I can dedicate, and I maybe able to borrow some more slightly newer stuff if I need to. would that be grossly underpowered for the task, I realize it isnt very powerful. the schools in the area i'm in normally have pretty good student programs for getting ahold of stuff cheaper, although not everything is.
Well, if your basically just "testing" you don't need performance so much. RAM is everything in these setups, so starting a 1GB is good. I'd consider that a minimum for this type of task, but actual memory requirement can vary greatly depending on the use.

W2K Terminal server info.

Learn to use technet, it's a god send for answering these kind of questions. If you're looking for "how to" kind of info search technet, if you want info on errors search the knowledge base (under the search field).

talley said:
Considering your desired usages, that PC would be more than plenty to handle it. I have Server 2003 running at work on a dual 550 Mhz server with 384 MB of memory. It's currently a file server, web server, print server, and ghost server.

Phoenix86 and djnes thank you both for answering my questions, this should be enough information to get me started with both projects for some time.

Back