Network certs

icor1031

[H]ard|Gawd
Are there any certifications that do not Require work experience, that do not expire?

Thanks.

As I've said 20 times. Don't concern yourself with expiration on entry level certs. In 3 years if you're still relying on those certs you need to look at what you're doing career-wise.

Ditto on what NetJunkie said.. I know guys that got A+ when they were in high school.. 12 years ago. I don't think that sort of lifetime degree should stand for anything.

NetJunkie, I want lifetime because I'm going into business for myself and it's nice to have on the wall, so people know I'm not a complete hack.

My business is PC repair & builds, but this is still nice.

NetJunkie, I want lifetime because I'm going into business for myself and it's nice to have on the wall, so people know I'm not a complete hack.

if someone examines a cert on the wall close enough to see that it is expired than they will be more of a headache then they are worth as a customer.

Schnell, did you even read my thread? Why did I ask about ones that don't expire?

Schnell, did you even read my thread? Why did I ask about ones that don't expire?

Question is, did you read his response?

Nail meet hammer.

Would you feel differently if you saw your teachers got thier education 8 years ago or 40? Point being you got it.

One of us isn't getting it.
I asked about certifications that DO NOT expire.

Schnell brought up the expiration, not the age.

Sorry but the irony (Comptia snobbery) made me laugh out loud. :D

I recommend you look at Microsoft and at least one Mac cert, that will help you get into small businesses. Take it from me, home users are more hassle than they are worth. Local businesses will provide a stable income and less pain. On a side note it would think very carefully about starting up a business solely fixing pc's, I don't think this market is going to be around much longer as PC's/ Laptop's become more disposable year on year and support gets cheaper.

MAC cert, from microsoft? I'm confused.

I'm specializing in building gaming PCs, Wise.. but yes, I know what you mean. Hopefully I'm not out of a job too soon. :(

I wasn't trying to be a snob.
I said 'complete hack' because I know it's not worth much. That said, it means I know a little and most people coming to me won't know the difference.

I recently learned that the MS certs don't really expire. The way it works is you certify on a certain product, so say, windows 2003. That particular cert does not expire. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that's what someone told me and it makes the MS once much more attractive to take as let's face it, Windows 2003 is STILL mainstream so if I had taken the cert 7 years ago, it would still hold some value today. Though starting to study on the 2008 certs would probably not be a bad idea.

I too, am discouraged that most certs expire. It takes years of studying and reading and taking many tests to get them (most of them require like 10 or even 20 tests), yet they expire in only a few years. I wish I had taken all the compTIA's as well but just had no will power. :p That's a lot of studying and when I get home after a day of work, the last thing I want to do is study and try to memorize lot of stuff. The whole cert system is a big money maker more then anything but sadly we just have to follow the system as that's what lot of managers go by.

Oh and if it's your own business then I would not even worry about expiry. Have it on your wall while you're tying to make customers, and by the time you need to take it down you'll have a customer base more or less and it will probably be easier to get new customers with word of mouth and so on if your work is good.

Red, that sounds pretty good if you're right about the microsoft ones.

With what Wise says, I might need to start doing that so I have work in the future. :(

I was thinking you may as well get a mac cert to the list since they are becoming more popular and virus writers are targeting them more, which means more work for you.

No, I was being the snob :) With my total disregard for the A+, they only way I see you getting any value out of it would be to fold it up and throw the aeroplane out of a window, at least that would raise a smile. A Microsoft client OS cert, would make you an MCP, Network+ does have some value to it, and and a Mac cert; Those three would make you look well rounded and cover your bases.

MS cert's don't expire, they are tied to technology and become obsolete with it. But you can call yourself a Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP) forever.

MS certs don't "expire"

But they are "retired" when the product you are certified on has reached end of life and is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Microsoft calls this end of life "end of mainstream support"
If someone touted to me the fact they are certified MCSE on 2000 I would laugh because it's useless. The 2003 track is only good for another 2 years at which point it will "expire" when MS ends mainstream support for server 2003 and xp.

Nice. Microsoft offers a network cert, right? There's my cert that doesn't expire. ;)

I'm unsure why you seem to be stuck on this whole "doesn't expire" thing.
It doesn't really matter.

Even a Network+ is good for 3 years. And lets say you do nothing else for those 3 years and someone walks into your office and looks at your mounted and framed network+ cert (which is kind weird by the way to mount and frame such an entry level cert) and says "hey, your cert expired! I don't think you know what you're doing anymore. Nevermind that for the past 3 years I believe you did know what you were doing, but now because we are 2 days past the expiration date you no longer have any of the skills that I think you need to work on my computer".... is that something you REALLY think is going to happen?

MS certs don't "expire"

But they are "retired" when the product you are certified on has reached end of life and is no longer supported by Microsoft.

Microsoft calls this end of life "end of mainstream support"
If someone touted to me the fact they are certified MCSE on 2000 I would laugh because it's useless. The 2003 track is only good for another 2 years at which point it will "expire" when MS ends mainstream support for server 2003 and xp.

Makes sense, but at least that's more then 3 years. So you are probably good if you go get certified every say, 7 years, instead of 3 like Cisco certs and what not.

But for your own business I would not worry much about certs. You are the boss, you make the rules. 99% of clients wont really care about certs, but the quality and price of the work.

If you are going to be working on home computers what you should really do is go and get the manufacture certs from Dell, Gateway, HP, Emachines, etc. Then you can order parts and not worry about voiding your customers warranties.

I'm not sure what good a Network+ cert would do for you building gaming machines, but hey, your business.

my answer makes perfect sense. No one worth your time will give a crap about an expired cert so neither should you. Every since comptia changed their certs all computer certs expire in one way or another, either by date or by the technology being fazed out. The simple truth is that no one cares if the cert is expired because its not like you forget everything you learned the day it expires. I will remember not to help you anymore as it is clear you do not care about what happens in the real world.

Microsoft certs don't expire because you're certified on a certain piece of technology, like Windows Server 2003. The test you passed does not change over time. Certificates like the ones CompTIA and Cisco do are on general concepts that change over time. Building a PC or setting up the backbone for a high rise building isn't the same today as it was ten years ago. A lot of groups have been doing this for awhile. CompTIA changed their certificates so they could pass regulations for ISO and the like.

If people don't realize how fast this industry moves and hire a hack with a 10 year old A+ cert, they are just asking for trouble. And an A+ isn't worth hanging on the wall anyway.

The expiration on a cert doesn't matter, all that matters is if you were smart enough to pass the test in the first place. If you can't BS your way out of that, you won't make a good salesman anyway.

If you want it just for looks you can always just Photoshop a certificate you find with Google Image Search..

(I'm being sarcastic)

Back