Network Engineering

Garzilla04

Limp Gawd
I have recently got accepted to Johnson and Wales in Providence RI and plan on attending to become a Networking Engineer once I graduate HS in June. Im interested to know about Network Engineering as a whole. Also in general....what kind of fields can I expect to get into once I get my degree? Good pay? What courses would I need....calc...physics..etc?

Any reccomendations or helpful info is much appreciated...thanks.

I think of network engineering as coming up with solutions for companies. Like what servers/routers/firewalls/whatever to bring up and how to set them up in their environment. Then perform any surveys needed then installing it.

forget physics and all that crap. just get some experience and IT classes and get the degree over with quick so you can get some real experience. But do take advantage of any good lab type classes.

good luck

I'd say you could expect anything from a Network Administration job to working for a vendor and designing entire networks for companies.

As for classes...if you're going into Networking, really the only class you'd need is College Algebra. If your school offers a class called Discrete Structures, that will teach you just about everything you need to know for networking. There are some subjects in networking that require some calc-level math to really understand. Those subjects aren't numerous though, and it doesn't really justify taking all the way through Calc 3.

However, if you're getting an "engineering" degree, you'll probably HAVE to take everything from College Algebra, to Thermodynamics, statics, calc 1-3, all that good stuff. Most colleges I've seen require a TON of math for any engineering degree.

Sweet, thanks for the info. I guess I got an edge since im already taking AP Calc and AP Physics in HS.

Originally posted by Boscoh
There are some subjects in networking that require some calc-level math to really understand. Those subjects aren't numerous though, and it doesn't really justify taking all the way through Calc 3.

Out of curiousity, what are those subjects? Any examples?

I ask because I'm almost done with a Network Engineering degree (in fact, I already have the certificates, which is the degree minus the general ed) at a local community college. The highest math I was required to take was Intermediate Algebra. I was kinda surprised that there was ANYTHING that would be Calculus related.

Hah...dude that is awesome. I figured that I'd be taking all kinds of high math in college for NE. That rocks, gettin Calc. over with in HS anyways. Oh and by the way, how was the whole process of getting your degree. Did you enjoy the course? What kinda stuff did you learn?

Cryptology is the best example I can think of.

Some of the stuff gets pretty deep, although much of it is simple algebraic functions.

Bosch,

Oh yeah, gotcha. I've read parts of Bruce Schneiers' "Applied Cryptography". Very deep stuff, and lotsa math. I dont know how much that a Network Engineer would have to know the deep-down details of how the algorithm's work as much as they have to know the process of encryption and the concepts of things like Public-Key cryptography and such. But yeah, I do see what you mea.

Garza,

Keep in mind that I'm only attending a community college, and it is only an Associate of Science Degree in Computer Network Engineering, but....

honestly, a lot of my classes havent really challenged me. There were many people I was taking classes with who werent what I considered to be really geeky, but they found the classes challenging. I started off with the 'Intro to Computer Science' which was SOOOOO boring, but gave an overview of computers in general. There we did a little of everything from Word, to Access, to C++, etc.

From there the classes got a little more specific. I took an Intro to LAN class, a Data communications class which went a little deeper into the OSI model, as well as cabling. We learned about all kinds of obsolete technologies like ThinNet and ThickNet, saw BNC's and all that crap.

Most of the rest of my classes were Windows 2000, starting with the basics of Pro, then moving on to the basics of Server. I had 3 semesters on Server that covered the basics up through Active Directory. I also took an Exchange class as an elective. The requirements for the degree have now been expanded in my college district to include security classes and such, but I'm exempt cuz they werent requirements when I started. I am going to take a whole year of the Cisco Academy at a neighboring community college after I finish this.

If you want to see the current requirements, you can click here.

I took all the fun classes early on, so now I'm stuck finishing my General Ed classes like Math and History and so on. Overall though, if you're here, and you consider yourself a geek, the classes will be easy.

This is a really good example of what kind of work a Network Engineer does (its from a job offer I recieved this morning :D ).

Position Name: Network Engineer

Description:
Support the XXX contract to provide life cycle systems integration support for communications elements and segments within NIMA. The XXX contract is a multi-contractor program; therefore, candidates should be comfortable working with a diverse set of contractors and all grades of customer personnel. This individual will provide lifecycle project management, perform hardware, software, and technology evaluations, solution development, planning to support multiple enterprise networks, user communication requirements analysis, and communication architecture design. Additionally this individual will need expertise in TCP/IP networks, Gigabit Ethernet migration, and ATM LAN/WAN technology.

Extensive writing required defining requirements and performing analysis to develop LAN/WAN architectures and interfaces, to generate engineering documentation, project plans/schedules, weekly reports, forward plans, engineering design documents, and engineering orders (EOs) to ultimately support the transition into an operational environment. This individual would report to the Infrastructure Requirements Engineering (IRE) Team located at the Herndon, VA office.

Additional responsibilities include identifying and managing risks, reviewing Request for Changes (RFCs) for infrastructure and block/increment plan impacts, developing cost estimates and BOMs, coordinating architecture implementation, and preparing and delivering written presentations in support of customer meetings.

Required:
· Bachelors of Science or equivalent experience
· Years of Experience: 15
· Working knowledge of TCP/IP, ATM, Gigabit Ethernet, LAN/WAN networking
· Experience with Cisco and Marconi network equipment
· Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications and Windows XP/2000
· Strong interpersonal, problem solving, organizational and multi-tasking skills
· Excellent written, verbal, and presentation skills
· TS/SCI security clearances; NIMA level 6 and 7

Desired:
· Cisco and Marconi training/certifications (CCNA, CCNP, ATM LAN/WAN Certification)
· Knowledge of SIPRNET, JWICS, GIG BE
· Knowledge of the NGA organizations and associated programs
· Team lead experience

Originally posted by BobSutan
This is a really good example of what kind of work a Network Engineer does (its from a job offer I recieved this morning :D ).

Wow... 15 years experience? That's pretty high...

Actually I'm currently taking a break from studies and working as a more general computer guy in a friend's company, and I will be doing my final year in Network Engineering... Getting plenty of practice here wrestling with despotic ISPs :p

Anyway from the looks of it, seems just like what I wanna do, so that's all good!

Originally posted by Garzilla04
Im really wonderin about the pay...any ideas?

Salaries can fluctuate greatly depending on location, experience, etc. For example, the job I posted earlier payed $75K-$90K in DC, but in Atlanta it might be $65K-$75K.

Most worker-monkey positions pay $45K to $60K depending on the variables listed above. Some go higher and some fall under. Like I said, It all depends.

Salaries can fluctuate greatly depending on location, experience, etc. For example, the job I posted earlier payed $75K-$90K in DC, but in Atlanta it might be $65K-$75K.

Most worker-monkey positions pay $45K to $60K depending on the variables listed above. Some go higher and some fall under. Like I said, It all depends.

Unless you work in Louisiana, then pull 10-15k off the top of all those numbers and thats how much you make.

as a fellow DC-area working stiff i'd like to point out that the cost of living here is through the roof. $40K a year is like barely getting by.

Yeah, that's true. I should have pointed that out earlier. That's why in my example above that Atlanta would pull in a bit less than DC--Cost of Living.

Originally posted by Garzilla04
Im really wonderin about the pay...any ideas?

just get the ccie, $120,000/yr easy. good luck passing the 2 exams tho, a buddy of mine did and said the lab was the hardest, most strenuous, and stressful thing he ever went through. last i read the ccie lab had a 80-90% failure rate i think.

have fun!

Not to mention the test, lab, prep materials, and travel expenses can easily run you $3000+ (depending on your travel arrangements).

While it does depend heavily on where you live, don't expect to make tons of cash right off the bat out of school. Well, the economy will probably have turned up strongly by the time you are out of school. For those of us who just graduated, if you get 40-45k you are doing pretty damn well. Heck, for alot of people if you can find a job you are doing well. Right now there is a abundance of heavily experienced, qualified people willing to work for a fairly low amount, which is hitting the new graduate market pretty hard. The only real reason I got a job easily is that I had interned for my company for a year before I graduated, and even then it took VP level approval to open a job req. to get me a permanent job.

Which brings me to another point: get as many internships as possible. Almost everyone I know who had a solid, long-term internship got a job, usually with the company they interned with. People I know who do recruiting for entry level jobs say that internships are probably the top thing they look at right now. If they don't have to train you as much, you are much more likely to get hired.

Originally posted by Darkstar850
Which brings me to another point: get as many internships as possible. Almost everyone I know who had a solid, long-term internship got a job, usually with the company they interned with. People I know who do recruiting for entry level jobs say that internships are probably the top thing they look at right now. If they don't have to train you as much, you are much more likely to get hired.
true. it's a great way for college students to get the experience to supplement their knowledge. the other thing it does for you is get your foot in the door. it's not what you know but who you know that counts is something you will learn in the working world. both of the jobs i've had since graduating college 5 years ago came from knowing someone at the company on a personal level. they tipped me off about the job, recommended me, or otherwise helped get me in the door. i did the rest.

people networking is as important to your career as the computer networking.

Originally posted by big daddy fatsacks
people networking is as important to your career as the computer networking.

I will highly agree with that. While its (hopefully) your ability that gets you hired, its usually your contacts that get you the notice of the job and/or the interview.

Back