Network n00bie asking about remote desktop

Swordfish45

Limp Gawd
Hey guys

Ive become curious about networking lately, and i wanted to set up a remote desktop connection for my small home network. I have admin rights for 2 computers to access each others harddrives, but when i go to the name of the computer to logon to,

It claims that there is no workgroup server. Ive noticed that this is client software integrated into xp, where would i get some server software to make my computer the workgroup server?

Ive tried all sorts of forums and Microsoft support[as fun as sucking on 7 lemmons consecutively] but i cant find anything to help.

thanks in advance :D

First, you have to enable RD on each computer. My Computer properties, remote tab, check that bottom box. Make sure that the user account has a password.

Next, open the RDP software on another computer and type in the computer name (don't browse for it).

RDP won't let you enable if you don't have password, it will tell you when you try to enable...
you need xp pro or 2k3 by the way

you can also use computer IP address if your WINS broadcasts are being screwed up...

i'd just use whatever method you used to map your network drives or shares or whatever

if you've got home, look into VNC

Me love you long time.

But, seriously, thank you. :cool:

One other thing. It gets me to the remote computer's log on screen, but will not let me log on

What line of privelege do i need to have to get a remote connection, and how would i do that?

Thanks alot! :cool:

You have to make sure the user is part of the "Remote Users" group or some such. Also, make sure the account you're using has a password.

Thanks for that, but theres a wierd thing going on. My computer lists MSHOME workgroup with my computer and the other. But the other displays only its own. Any ideas?

Back