Network speeds, laptop slower than desktops?

JAW

Gawd
I have 2 desktops and 1 laptop all with gigabit nics all connected through a router with 100mpbs ports using cat5e.

When I transfer files from desktop to desktop I get around 12MB/sec, however when I transfer files to the laptop from a desktop I am only getting around 1.5MB/sec. I know laptop hard drives are slower, but it shouldn't be this slow. The laptop has a 7200rpm hitachi drive in it. I am not using wireless on the laptop, it is connected via cat5e.

The desktops are both running windows vista w/ sp2 and the laptop is running windows 7.

Is there a setting or something I can change on my laptop to speed up the network transfers?

Have you tried updating the drivers on the laptop? Is the laptop using different AV or Firewall software?

yep, there's something wrong with your lappy hdd,

i am using a seagate 5200rpm which can do 5MBs (but never higher than 7MB)

try to use teracopy or something similar (i use this for my filetransfer needs) you can resume if gets broken.

My laptop can transfer ~8MB/s over my wireless network, so I'd say there's something fishy about your speeds. Really it's down to either your HD or your Network Adapter.

OP, are you sure your laptop has gigabit nic? I'm asking only because I made such mistake in the past: my laptop shows 1gigabit when disconnected but always limited to 100mbit when connected :)

dumb question but is the wireless card in the laptop turned on while the laptop has the RJ45 cable plugged into it?

if it's on and connected, the system might be using the wireless connection as the transfer medium...

or it might have a "bridged connection" of sorts which could be screwing things up.

usually when a PC sees two paths to the same server (wireless and wired) it will default to the one with lowest latency (wired). this is most likely not a network problem, as you are using about 10% of the throughput of a 100mbps connection. its probably hard-drive related. run some hard drive benchmarks, do defrag on all computers, then make a single 1 or 2 gb test file and transfer it around and record the speeds. speed also depends on the size, quantity and type of files being copied. could also be power saving settings on the laptop screwing with you.

usually when a PC sees two paths to the same server (wireless and wired) it will default to the one with lowest latency (wired). this is most likely not a network problem, as you are using about 10% of the throughput of a 100mbps connection. its probably hard-drive related. run some hard drive benchmarks, do defrag on all computers, then make a single 1 or 2 gb test file and transfer it around and record the speeds. speed also depends on the size, quantity and type of files being copied. could also be power saving settings on the laptop screwing with you.

good thoughts

not exactly. it's based on the PC's routing table, if the first thing to get connected is the wireless then the default route on the PC will be through the wireless card. When the wired gets hooked up, the route will be added to the table but the PC won't use it until the default route (the wireless) gets turned off and the route is removed from the routing table. It's not like the PC is running EIGRP...

Last edited:
Back