Never thought this day would come . . . I want a smaller case

PCMusicGuy

[H]ard|Gawd
I've always been a fan of big cases. I've been living happily for 4 or so years with my black CM Stacker 830. It has been a good case but I'm ready for something different. My main gripes with the stacker are related to the ease of working in the case. I didn't really realize how poor it was in that regard until I put together my work PC with a big Best Buy Rocketfish case. That thing was super easy to work with. It was easier to get all of the power supply cables hooked up for sure as there is no metal supports or partitions in the way.

So my short wish list for a new case is:
- Smaller than the Stacker 830 or Rocketfish (mid tower I would imagine)
- All metal (like the Rocketfish; the Stacker 830 has too much plastic)
- Very quiet (i can always swap fans if needed)
- Good cooling compatibility (I want to be able to fit the Noctua NH-D14)
- Powered USB ports front and top (not a deal breaker)
- At least two external 5.25 drive bays
- Internal room for four 3.5" hard drives (i'll likely use SSD anyway)

I would imagine a Lian-Li case would fit my wish list but I figured I throw this out here as it's been a while since I've shopped for cases. I'm open to all ideas. Budget is not really a concern. Thanks.

Bro, I've been there. I sold an Obsidian 800D with a fully custom water loop to a close friend, to downsize to a Coolermaster 590. I just don't want a full tower case any more, I don't want 12 fans in my computer (on top of the 4-6 on my radiators) and I don't want to lug a 80lb around the house etc.

I don't have many suggestions for you, as cases are a matter of personal opinion.

Corsair 650D would be my suggestion. There are several topics about it in this forum

Fractal Define R3 will be very quiet, but that will depend on how many fans you add.

Lian Li PC-A05 or A05N (newer revised model) sounds like it fits the bill perfectly, though if your list is what you'll actually be using, you won't be left for room for expansion (only has 2x5.25" external bays, 1x3.5" external, 3x3.5" internal). There's a pretty big thread dedicated to it. Newegg should have it listed for $90ish. I've personally owned 4 of em now and for various reasons I keep going back to em (small size, still fits full atx boards, simple to mod, decent mix of drive space, fairly simple cable management, sleek exterior, I could go on). I'm actually debating on picking up a 5th unless I find a deal on something else.

How about a VIA Artigo? Can't go much smaller. Just kidding, i guess that's more for freaks like me...

The Lian Li A05 is a very nice one from the design. Still too huge for me, but if it fits your needs you'll prolly love it.

Dude, hope this shortlist helps midtower: the amazing Corsair 650D just coming out! If you want to go a few inches smaller less room below and in front of the mobo go with a midi tower Cooler Master HAF 912 Advanced is very nice with 200mmX30mm fans and only $99. Other midis include the new Fractal Design Arc and the stripped down( in my opinion ) Bitfenix Survivor at $109. I have the CM Haf 912 Advanced you really get alot for the $99, it's a great deal, but nowhere near the build quality of the 650D, but it's twice the price!!! ;)

Bro, I've been there. I sold an Obsidian 800D with a fully custom water loop to a close friend, to downsize to a Coolermaster 590. I just don't want a full tower case any more, I don't want 12 fans in my computer (on top of the 4-6 on my radiators) and I don't want to lug a 80lb around the house etc.

I don't have many suggestions for you, as cases are a matter of personal opinion.

I know I'm not the only one to take this path.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I like what I see on the CM 650D and the Fractal Design Arc. The both look very light on plastic. I likely wait until the 650D shows up at the local Fry's and then make my decision. Until then, I'll keep looking.

Back