New 1156 mini itx boards?

zer0gravity

[H]ard|Gawd
Really want to see some progress from big mobo makers but it seems like its slow incoming. Anyone know of any new boards that will hit the market?

Yeah the new Zotac revision is about the only "new" board out there since the Gigabyte. Haven't heard anything else.

Well imo the Gigabyte board is realy nice.

But what are you after? what is the Zotac and Gigabyte board missing??

But what are you after? what is the Zotac and Gigabyte board missing??
That's what I'm wondering. Some people seem to wish for the CPU socket to be moved to provide more clearance between the socket and the PCI-e slot, like J&W did with their H55 ITX board, but aside from that (and even that only would be useful with some CPU coolers I guess) there's not much left to be desired as far as specs go :)

Of course, more competition to drive down prices and give more options is never a bad thing.

Competition is always good :)

But i dunno if good ITX boards can get much cheaper than gigabyte (995 Skr / 99€)

Competition is always good :)

But i dunno if good ITX boards can get much cheaper than gigabyte (995 Skr / 99€)

Meh, lucky you over there if you really can get it at that price. Currently 118€ in Finland :( Was 115€ at the cheapest at one point. Seems to be over 110+€ even in Germany.

Well, when I do swap, hopefully I can manage a decent selling price for my mATX board to compensate (if I can bear selling it, that is.. haha).

No news on any mitx boards coming down the pipe. DFI had a nice board but bailed on us.

What we need is a mini itx board where they can put all the heat generating components on the top and place a heatsink on it (talkin about the fets here) and then move the cpu socket over where DFI had it. Finally add SATA III and USB 3.

Asking too much? I don't think so.

Well there is the Shuttle SX58j3. It is Mini-ITX compliant and has a board that is such. Sure you have to buy it with the case and PSU, but total costs aren't too high for the package. Hell that with a GTX470 or a 5870 would be quite nice.

The J&W board would certainly seem nice, but it gets expensive with shipping even within Europe, never mind those of you on the other side of the pond. No SATA III on it though, of course. Personally I can make do without, though. And should be able to make do with the Gigabyte board as well, since the Noctua NH-U9F that I have should fit it without too much trouble.

Just did some rough measurements based on images and given specs, and it seems the NH-U9F should indeed fit on the GA-H55N-USB3, but the clearance to the edge of both PCI-e and RAM slots is barely a few millimeters. It'll certainly be a close fit... :D Fitting something like my current HD 4670 would be impossible because most of the heatsink on it is on the "backside" of the card, and thus would directly interfere with a CPU cooler.

I guess I'm looking for a board very close to the DFI board just with SATA 6 / USB 3. Really onboard video isn't needed when you have a PCI-E open.

http://global.shuttle.com/product_detail.jsp?PI=1389

Mini-ITX Motherboard Support.
Shuttle expands the capabilities of its chassis, adding support for Mini-ITX motherboards(170 x 170mm or 6.7 x 6.7 inches). Now, the Shuttle chassis can go beyond the Shuttle motherboard. You can easily upgrade the motherboard to your desire.
The case is compatible with mITX, not the board. You could mount the Gigabyte board in the Shuttle case, but you couldn't transfer the Shuttle board to an SG05, at least not without modding it. Not that it matters, since Shuttle doesn't sell their boards on their own anyways.

The case is compatible with mITX, not the board. You could mount the Gigabyte board in the Shuttle case, but you couldn't transfer the Shuttle board to an SG05, at least not without modding it. Not that it matters, since Shuttle doesn't sell their boards on their own anyways.

The SG05 supports dual expansion slots so it'd be wide enough, so I imagine if any problems arise, it would be length. I am sure with the northbridge and the 3 RAM slots they would have to make it longer than normal.

The SG05 supports dual expansion slots so it'd be wide enough, so I imagine if any problems arise, it would be length. I am sure with the northbridge and the 3 RAM slots they would have to make it longer than normal.

I'll just leave this here.

eiihd.jpg

BTW- SG05 length: 276mm

Ah the mounting holes are different too. How retarded.

I should point out that is a picture of the motherboard from the older SX58H7, which is not mini-ITX compatible. The newer board in the J3, as far as I can tell from pics, has basically the same size and component layout... which still doesn't clear up whether the mounting holes on the board itself are mini-ITX compatible, or merely the ones in the chassis.

In any case (oh, pun!) the pic was more to show the unlikelyhood of fitting a shuttle board into a chassis designed for ITX, due to the extra length (+115mm).

Edit: Okay, it looks like the mounting holes on the J3 board are different:

DgPA5.jpg

The holes along the right edge on this pic look like they now line up with the mini-ITX holes, while on the left edge they appear to correspond to the mini-DTX mounting holes. The mini-ITX mounting hole just forward of the PCIe slot on ITX boards is occupied by the south bridge on the shuttle board though, and the rearward hole is missing as well. So you'd definitely need at least a mini-DTX compliant case to have a chance of fitting a shuttle board without having to drill some new mounting holes (and also because of the additional slot).

Last edited:
Any word if Intel is releasing a mini-itx with SATA3 and USB3? Onboard Raid would also be nice.

I still can't figure out why some mobo makers (Zotac) will put 6 sata ports onto a mini-itx mobo without raid. There is only a few mini-itx chassis out there that would hold 5 or more 3.5" or 2.5" hdds. Plus, who would run 5 or more hdds in a mini-itx and not fear data loss? Am i missing something?

WHS can mirror disks without RAID. In linux you can use dmraid or LVM. Also there is unraid. Many choices for the home user.

'WHS can mirror disks without RAID. In linux you can use dmraid or LVM. Also there is unraid. Many choices for the home user."

I was focusing on Win7 solution since I want to run Media Center. What redundancy solution do you know of for Win7 without hardware raid?

My ideal mobo would be:
SATA3
USB3.0
onboard wireless N
onboard RAID

I am still waiting for Intel to release something.

Intel RAID is a software RAID anyway.

Windows does feature software RAID since Windows 2000. It's good because if you change mobo or anything you can still use the array on another PC and with current processor power you don't lose really anything on performance.

It's called Dynamic Disks and is discussed here: http://www.techimo.com/articles/index.pl?photo=149

Back