New 2500k, high temps

tpfaff

2[H]4U
I have an Asus motherboard that has one of those automatic OC switches(It's called tpu mode or something) Normally I overclock it myself but this was just way too easy and I don't have a cooler other than the stock one at the moment. So the question is, why is this thing so hot? Can the stock cooler just not keep up with the 1.32v that the mobo's auto feature sets the cpu to? One of the cores hit 98C in prime 95 and then I decided to shut it down. The cpu shoots up about 20 degrees RIGHT when any benchmark is started.

MxqL6.jpg

I wouldn't attempt any kind of overclocking on a stock cooler, personally.

I previously had water cooling but my block doesn't fit now obviously. I always read that these things can oc on stock coolers really well but that doesn't seem to be the case. The cooler it came with is a tiny piece of junk really so it's not really surprising I guess.

I honestly dont own any of the new sandy bridges, but for a healthy overclock, stock cooling, and 4 cores running super pi, this doesn't look that bad to me.

I figured that those temps were getting to the point where it might be harmful to the cpu. Whether thats true or not I have no idea though :confused:

You'll probably get mixed messages as to whether this is harmful or not. Personally I don't like my computer running that hot, but it is really up to you. On a stock cooler those temps are pretty much average for being overclocked (from what I've read anyways).

If your looking for something cheaper than watercooling, the coolmaster hyper 212+ works quite well. I get a max of 64 degrees with it running prime95.

I'm about 10C cooler then you at 4500 mhz 1.35V with a Corsair H70. I'd say what you got there is alright. Your chip doesn't run that hot unless your constantly maxing it out anyways. I'd say if you run into some extra money just get a nice $50 aftermarket to bring down the temps a bit if you're ok with that overclock. Anything over 4 ghz is just overkill anyways.

Interesting, I got a BSOD while playing Crysis last night and my only guess is that it overheated. Could that be the case?

my laptop begins to error/randomly shut off at 100C intel core 2 duo if that's any indication of anything to you.

I took a look at your screen shot. Your V-core isn't too high, but it's certainly a little high for a lackluster 4.3GHz overclock. Before you worry about anything else, including BIOS setting, get better cooling!

The Sandy Bridge CPU's I've played with do get hot, very hot, and a lot of them have stopped working, basically died all together. You really want to keep it under 70c at full load, trust me. Some people will disagree, and say 80c is fine, but that's just way to close to the TJ Max for me. Some overclockers don't care, as they get all kinds of free CPU's to play with. Free or not, I care about my stuff, and I want these babies to last a long time. Also remember that with the SB, between 1.3v-1.4v is when things start to get really hot... the 32nm tech is more sensitive to voltages and there will be a huge difference between the idle temp and full load temp. When playing games, doing lots of stuff, you don't want your CPU to get that hot....

Check out some cheap water-cooking kits on newegg, or just get a better heatsink.

Tweak!!

Last edited:
I'm about 10C cooler then you at 4500 mhz 1.35V with a Corsair H70. I'd say what you got there is alright. Your chip doesn't run that hot unless your constantly maxing it out anyways. I'd say if you run into some extra money just get a nice $50 aftermarket to bring down the temps a bit if you're ok with that overclock. Anything over 4 ghz is just overkill anyways.

Why not try a simple 4.0 overclock on stock and see if you can get it to a reasonable temp/ voltage without spending money? You won't notice a single difference from 4.0 to 4.3ghz. Even though that 's almost 10% overclock on the cpu, that never translates to 10% faster computer. I would turn your load line down, keep your voltage below 1.2V and try 40 multiplier. Bet you can stay in the low 70's, high 60's with that stock cooler.... People are overkilling their systems with 5.0ghz overclocks. I can boot into windows at that high and only thing that is faster is benchmarks.

I don't have one, but from what I've heard the stock cooler runs pretty warm even at default speeds. I wouldn't recommend any overclocking on the stock cooler that involves voltage increases.

Why not try a simple 4.0 overclock on stock and see if you can get it to a reasonable temp/ voltage without spending money? You won't notice a single difference from 4.0 to 4.3ghz. Even though that 's almost 10% overclock on the cpu, that never translates to 10% faster computer. I would turn your load line down, keep your voltage below 1.2V and try 40 multiplier. Bet you can stay in the low 70's, high 60's with that stock cooler.... People are overkilling their systems with 5.0ghz overclocks. I can boot into windows at that high and only thing that is faster is benchmarks.

Well at stock voltage with no overclock I'm hitting 80C in Bad Company 2 after about an hour. :( By the way what IS the stock voltage on these things? I can't find it anywhere and it seems as if my mobo just picked a voltage for me.

Well at stock voltage with no overclock I'm hitting 80C in Bad Company 2 after about an hour. :( By the way what IS the stock voltage on these things? I can't find it anywhere and it seems as if my mobo just picked a voltage for me.

If you are running stock clocks seems like you should be able to go into BIOS and manually under volt gradually to find a lower voltage setting to keep temps lower.

If had one of these I would water cool with nice block or go with a Corsair H60. Looks like a great cpu for gaming.

If you didn't touch anything your motherboard is probably over-volting your cpu. I watched it with the auto overclock utitlity on my Asus P8Z68V-Pro and for the turbo it was going up to 1.32V. That's almost the voltage I use for 4500mhz. If you manually tune it even just with turbo on, you can probably get the voltage way down.

I would consider the possibility that your stock cooler is janky. One of the pushpins or something. I personally refused to even touch the stock cooler that came with my 2500k. I will say this again: all props to AMD for not using some kind of retarded pushpin system with their stock HS -- AMD stock coolers might not be great, but at least their mounting system is better than the 775/1156/1155 pushpin "hope this shit is on right" system.

my laptop begins to error/randomly shut off at 100C intel core 2 duo if that's any indication of anything to you.

I believe thermal protection kicks in at that level and causes the chip to basically shut off all processing until the temperature falls. What winds up happening is that the chip will shut off / turn on rapidly until you can get it cooler.

100C inside a laptop isn't good for it. I'm surprised you're not burning your lap.

If you're hitting 80c with stock clocks... you shouldn't hit 80c with just more voltage, unless it's peaking around 1.5v, which wouldn't be good. Even with the stock cooler. Unless it isn't on right. It would just take one of those sorry-ass push pins to not be on right to result in a massive temp increase. The SB processor just kinda picks it's own voltage depending on the circumstance. On a turbo load my processor will apply about 40mv above whatever the processor will decide to run, but I have my top turbo multi set to 46. During gaming it gets warm, but not hot, with a Noctua with one 120mm fan. The temp sensors in the processor aren't even remotely reliable. Some say they're accurate to +-5c but I say its never even that accurate. I think it'd be more accurate to say that a 1155 cpu makes a wild-ass guess.

Back