New 30" Monitor gaming rig.

Rhyme

Limp Gawd
I decided to start my own thread. However, I've been heavily inspired by this post:

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1650832

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc

Gaming. Web browsing. (Skyrim, Diablo 3, Torchlight 2)

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?

Under 1300 dollars because I have many components already.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.

Rochester, NY

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.

I need CPU, RAM, Video cards, Memory, power supply, heat sink.

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.

I will be using the following items that I have on hand.

large lian li case
1 TB hitachi sata drive
1 Intel G2 SSD
2 sata dvd burners.

6) Will you be overclocking?

yes

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?

Dell 2560x1600

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?

In the next week, looking to take advantage of black friday deals...

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? etc.

Crossfire support, esata, usb 3.0, Sata 6 Gb/s would be nice.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?

Yes, I have technet... plan is to use 64 bit windows 7.

I'm pretty much stealing Danny Bui's build with a couple questions (these prices may have changed -- all from newegg):

$215 - Intel Core i5-2500K CPU
$145 - MSI P67A-GD55 Intel P67 ATX Motherboard
$45 - G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM
$560 - 2 x XFX HD-695X-CDFC Radeon HD 6950 2GB PCI-E Video Card
$26 - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus HSF for LGA 1366 and LGA 1156
$165 - Antec High Current Pro HCP-850 850W Modular PSU

Open to suggestions on changes to memory, power supply, and motherboard.

I noticed that there is a combo deal with the i5-2500k that takes 20 bux off of the Asus Maximus IV Gene Z68 motherboard that brings the price right down to the same level as the MSI. Wasn't sure if the Asus is worth the switch or not. I'm not planning on taking advantage of the SSD caching. My intel G2 SSD will be the boot drive. I believe it's 120 gig or so. I realize the Asus board is a MATX board but I'm not seeing any real loss in terms of ports from going to the smaller board from the MSI P67A-GD55.

My real concern is support on the motherboard as I've seen a lot of angry asus customers lately on these forums.

If i can take advantage of combo deals to take the price down that would be great but my main concern is quality over small price savings.

Thanks everyone.

The biggest issue with mATX boards is the PCIe x16 slot spacing for CrossFire. You want as much space as possible between the slots to help the card cooling. I think that Asus has the slots pretty much back to back for double slot cards like the 6950s, so it is not a good choice.

Pretty much what Forceman said: If you look at the MSI mobo, it has an extra slot between the PCI-E x16 ports. That will allow for additional airflow between the two cards and therefore better cooling.

Which Lian Li case do you have?

Is it really worth unlocking them? Wouldn't that void your warranty?

Back