New 3DMark On Steam

HardOCP News

[H] News
While we personally do not use or endorse canned benchmarks, we thought we would post this today for those of you guys that enjoy tinkering around with 3DMark. As with all 3Dmark products, you get the watered down low-res test (1280 x 720) in the free version. If you want to run 3DMark at any higher resolution, you'll need to cough up $24.99.

So....now a canned benchmark not indicative of anything that will not even let you run at a modern day resolution unless you pay up $25? Great business model. :rolleyes:

I see they are given a 25% off discount till Feb. 11. Still not worth $18.74. I'll pass.

I can't even download it, so far steam support hasn't gotten back to Me yet, but then I just filed a report, so this might take a few days....

People (besides review sites) pay to benchmark their systems?

:confused:

Not like this is new... but really if you need software to tell you how long your epeen is ... :scared:

Hmmm... how many pixels can it push. That's life-changing.

No, wait...

We need to mainstream PPDs for reviews. ;)

3dmark is the most useless piece of software ever

Playing any game with FRAPS is the best benchmark you can do.

Omg must get need achievements
Total achievements: 11
You do not own this game

Red Hot
Can you handle Fire Strike Extreme?
27.8%

Brains
With your CPU you could do anything. That GPU is just holding you back.
16.7%

Free PC Upgrade
Submit a score that is at least 10% higher than your last score.
16.7%

Hydra
Submit a score from a system with 12 or more logical CPU cores.
16.7%

Brawn
Your GPU is ready to rumble, but your CPU doesn't want to play.
11.1%

Mystery Machine
Submit a result using new hardware that isn't recognised by 3DMark.
5.6%

You Devil
Submit a score that contains 666.
5.6%

Moar Graphics Plox
Submit a score from a system with 3 or more GPUs.
0%

OC Madness
Only experts should try to push their CPU more than 50% over stock.
0%

Leet Treat
Submit a score that contains the sequence 1337.
0%

It’s over 9000!!!
Fire Strike over 9000? There's no way that could be right.
0%

Downloaded the free version since in past 3dmarks there's been some cool stuff in there just to show to people.

This one is total crap. WAY too much "effects" going on. It's just overbloomed, fake looking garbage. I don't think Futuremark is even trying any more. :rolleyes:

Downloaded the free version since in past 3dmarks there's been some cool stuff in there just to show to people

exactly...I don't care as much about the final score as seeing the cool video/graphics in their benchmark...the last really cool video presentation was with the cyborg robot thing shooting at the guards and blowing stuff up which was 3DMark 09 I think

People (besides review sites) pay to benchmark their systems?

:confused:

Not like this is new... but really if you need software to tell you how long your epeen is ... :scared:

Well, it helps those trying to OC and those getting new video cards to check how much of a difference the second card or new Video card actually makes. Then again there are plenty of free ones like Heaven that do that...

I used to use their stuff all the time but i still have 2011 for what i need just stability testing, could care less what numbers it spits out at me..but i wont pay for it, usually you end up with free editions at some point with a video card or mobo or some purchase...pretty sure most of my steam library was just from that

I can see the full version being pirated more than ever now. Not going to put a reasonable price, not going to get a lot of legit owners.

The earlier ones were fun to watch. This is kind of blah.

Still reports my 7950's as only having 2048 of memory, and can't figure out the driver.
Haven't tried it on a system with an Nvidia in it yet. Not that I saw anything so far that prompts me to hurry and try it out on another system.

Hmmm, it used to be a big event when a new 3DMark came out. It's now just only a minor tool for tech sites to use when reviewing video cards.

I can't see this being around much longer, they have made it totally irrelevant with this release.

It should be free, 'nuff said

Basic versions graphics suck, sub-par resolution in the basic version

I miss the 3DMark 99/3DMark 99 Max/3DMark 2000/3DMark 2001 SE days

Last edited:
I play my PC games @ 1280x720 with 3D Vision glasses 2 along with a 100+ inch projector screen.

I'll use this bench to gage my next best up. 560ti is feeling its age after BF3/Metro.

I bath in your tears guys :D

The benchmark was meh ..... on my system that's in my sig, using 13.1 AMD drivers it was still buggy on a few of the benches. At the end of it, none of the benchmarks counted as I wasn't using an approved video driver.

Honestly, nothing really exciting to see here at least in my opinion.

The cat with laser eyes benchmark was a hell of a lot more exciting than this hacked / chopped benchmark.

Guys, remember, this benchmark was free at the beginning. All these guys came from the Amiga demo scene. They've tried to turn this demo / benchmark into a business model which is a tough sell in my opinion.

A lot of their success was done solely on the end user downloading their software, running the benchmark and allowing them to use the data provide by, the end user. NOW, they are taking that success and locking people out of any real functionality in their new demo / bench. I say forget them.

The benefit to canned benchmarks is not in the benchmarks themselves, but the ability to test GPU overclocks for stability and artifacts. A more stressful test will show a too-high OC more quickly and the fact that the test is identical at each run makes it easier to see when something is not right.

I think the bigger deal is the ("coming soon") Android and iOS support, so we can directly compare GPU performance of different phones/platforms against each other, which is pretty neat.

Can't even run it to try out..get an error that the GUI stopped working. Oh well I just run these things for the eye candy factor anyway, I'll stick to scene.org stuff which actually works and doesn't come bloated with a 2GB install size.

My score on Firestorm running (free version on Steam): 8776

Graphics Score: 11682

Physics: 8840

Combined: 3052

My score on Firestorm running (free version on Steam): 8776

Graphics Score: 11682

Physics: 8840

Combined: 3052

Clearly you're not in the spirit of the thread :p

3DMark. Of no relevance since 2001.

you guys take things way too seriously...nothing is wrong with running 3DMark...yes Frap'ing your favorite game is a more accurate real world benchmark but nothings wrong with comparing 3DMark scores for kicks

Clearly you're not in the spirit of the thread :p

3DMark. Of no relevance since 2001.

Didn't they have people cheating their scores even way back then?

Regardless, it's hilarious that anyone would still pay $25 for what is nothing more than a tech demo(and not even a particularly good one) of crap flashing around on the screen to get a score that really amounts to nothing. I'd rather buy 2 $10 games and still save a couple bucks in the process.

I ran the free version, and my first thought was, "This looks like crap!" Wasn't until after I finished it that I realized it was for "mobile devices and entry-level PCs". Had to wait through Ice Storm and Cloud Gate to get to the one made for "High Performance Gaming PCs". Couldn't skip any of the demos without paying for the full version. Another solid Meh. I do like how it fits in with the new look and feel of Windows 8, though.

Results:
Untitled-2_zpsf53f2616.png

(i5-3570K, 16GB, GTX690, all stock)

3dmark 11 is a really impressive graphics demo and is very taxing. Before that, 3dmark Vantage looked pretty amateur.

130529 ice storm
14376 cloud gate
4373 fire strike

apparently it doesn't like the GeForce 310.90 drivers. Even though they're WHQL, 3DMark is claiming invalid results due to 'Graphics driver is not approved' .

I can't even download it, so far steam support hasn't gotten back to Me yet, but then I just filed a report, so this might take a few days....
Try a few weeks. Thats how long it took steam to get me a missing game when I bought a package recently. I love steam, but DANG their customer support SUX.

As always awesome show. To pay to unlock resolutions that is funny.

Run this once to see pretty, then delete and DON'T support this business model.

I would give them a buck to unlock. No more, no less.

113535 Ice Storm

15884 Cloud Gate

5174 Fire Strike

7870 OCed 1150 Core and 1325 ram
8 gigs ram
AMD Phenom II Hex Core overclocked to 3.7GHZ (I think the stock clocks on this one is 2.8 GHZ)

The Fire Strike demo reel, before the tests, was a slideshow on my system.

Didn't they have people cheating their scores even way back then?

Regardless, it's hilarious that anyone would still pay $25 for what is nothing more than a tech demo(and not even a particularly good one) of crap flashing around on the screen to get a score that really amounts to nothing. I'd rather buy 2 $10 games and still save a couple bucks in the process.

I guess, but at least the utility itself was built on an actual in use game engine at the time (MaxFX). Hell they even had little mini game versions of the scripted sequences for testing game play.

Back