new 8600 info.

so an overclocked 8600gts is slower than my stock 7800gt in my two favourite games :confused: .

Those are actually horrible compared to my lowly 7600gt. I get only 1 fps worse average in FEAR with those settings and all max settings. I used fraps on Quake4 awhile back on my Windows XP machine and also got much higher fps even on a 7600gs and athlon 2400. :confused:

you really get better than that with a 7600gt at 4xAA at 1280x res?

Still, not impressive really, considering how much the 8800's completely dominate. If they sell for $250 online they'll sell, oh, I'd say about zero.

This isn't a standardized test I want to see the timedemos so we have a baseline to compare too that is the point of benchmarks. :) Subjective testing isn't a good idea to gauge performance.;)

you really get better than that with a 7600gt at 4xAA at 1280x res?

Still, not impressive really, considering how much the 8800's completely dominate. If they sell for $250 online they'll sell, oh, I'd say about zero.

The 8800's are the flagship line of course they should dominate, the 8600 should only represent an improvement over the 7600 GT at the minimum.

The store I work at part time has a bunch on order(55+),but they dont come in until I think Monday,and as far as I know we are not allowed to sell them.

Enjoy the new toy Neist ! :) Always cool to get new hardware.

Those are actually horrible compared to my lowly 7600gt. I get only 1 fps worse average in FEAR with those settings and all max settings. I used fraps on Quake4 awhile back on my Windows XP machine and also got much higher fps even on a 7600gs and athlon 2400. :confused:

so your saying that a 7600gs is better then the 8600gt? :confused:

so your saying that a 7600gs is better then the 8600gt? :confused:
Im saying i got better fps in Quake4 with a 7600gs and athlon 2400 than he did with a 8600gts. Of course his benchmarks could be in completely different part of the game but under 40 fps with no AA is a joke for a new 8600gts. ;)

EDIT: I just ran several Quake4 benchmarks using Fraps on my current rig in sig. The lowest I averaged on 1280x1024 no AA all high settings was 58 fps. That also included lots of firefighting and thats way higher fps than he got. Until I see some better benchmarks for the 8600gts I will hold off on my final verdict but it doesnt look impressive so far.

Im saying i got better fps in Quake4 with a 7600gs and athlon 2400 than he did with a 8600gts. Of course his benchmarks could be in completely different part of the game but under 40 fps with no AA is a joke for a new 8600gts. ;)

So i still have hope that I will see an improvement with a 8600gt(running fsx since there will be a patch for it to be dx10) compared to my ATI Firegl x3 256 mb(which is the top of the line agp ati card :) ) ? Thanks.

with all the benchmarks I've seen, the 8600 series is very disappointing. These cards should equal or surpass last generation GPUs, just like the 6600 series and 7600 series did.

Very disappointing :eek:

with all the benchmarks I've seen, the 8600 series is very disappointing. These cards should equal or surpass last generation GPUs, just like the 6600 series and 7600 series did.

Very disappointing :eek:

same, well we never know this guy could change the numbers up to make nvidia look bad allthough I doubt that he would do something like that. Lets wait for the Tom'shardware to get a benchmark of this card :/

Here are some benches of the 8600:

http://www.ocworkbench.com/2007/nvidia/8600gts/b1.htm

I was considering getting one of these, but I am going to hold off for now to see what the final results are.

This is what I expected given it only has 32SP compared to the 8800 GTS 96, 45% of the performance sometimes lower sometimes higher.

Unfortunately it looks like your much better off getting something like a 7900 GT/7950GT 256 as opposed to this card. :(

Hey, Im suprised that no one has came up with this question and that I didn't thought of it till now, how well does this card overclocks. Niest(I think) are you willing to overclock your 8600gt and void your warrenty to give us some results? xD

Realize guys that I dont have the full version of the game, and this was during the demo. The first part of the demo has some moments that it actually drops down pretty low, but it usually averages around 45-55 fps. It just had some dips that lowered the average. Its this indoor very dark zone with a lot of steam and sparks.

Once I got outside I just about never dropped under 50.

Also have to realize that I have absolutely everything stock, using onboard sound no less. I'm sure a lot of you guys can get just as good performance with lower cards with slightly more tricked out systems. The OC on the card itself isnt even all that great. I wouldnt be surprised if its one of the lower factory OC'ed cards available.

Hey, Im suprised that no one has came up with this question and that I didn't thought of it till now, how well does this card overclocks. Niest(I think) are you willing to overclock your 8600gt and void your warrenty to give us some results? xD

No. :p Sorry. I'm too poor to get another if it dies on me.

This is a conclusion quote from the ocworkbench review:

The benchmark results are truly impressive for this mid range DX10 card. In a number of benchmarks, we see that the scores comes close to the current ATi high end DX9 cards. If synthetic benchmarks are not be a good gauge, game benchmarks show that the performance level of this card is between a ATi X1900XT and X1950Pro or between a NVIDIA DX9 cards 7900GS and 7900GT.

That's not really where I was hoping this card would be :mad: I was hoping this card would perform above x1950pro and 7950gt levels. I can't believe the performance gap between the 8800gts and the 8600gt. I think I'll wait for the price of the 8800gts to drop to around $200 before I go the dx10 route.

This is a conclusion quote from the ocworkbench review:

The benchmark results are truly impressive for this mid range DX10 card. In a number of benchmarks, we see that the scores comes close to the current ATi high end DX9 cards. If synthetic benchmarks are not be a good gauge, game benchmarks show that the performance level of this card is between a ATi X1900XT and X1950Pro or between a NVIDIA DX9 cards 7900GS and 7900GT.

That's not really where I was hoping this card would be :mad: I was hoping this card would perform above x1950pro and 7950gt levels. I can't believe the performance gap between the 8800gts and the 8600gt. I think I'll wait for the price of the 8800gts to drop to around $200 before I go the dx10 route.

Then I guess it won't be a good plan for me to get the 8600gt since my card is way better and more expensive then a x1950 pro ;) but the question is, since flight simulator x is going to be dx10 will I see a difference in fsx when I patch it with the dx10 between my current high end dx9 card and the nvidia 8600gt? Thanks.

Then I guess it won't be a good plan for me to get the 8600gt since my card is way better and more expensive then a x1950 pro ;) but the question is, since flight simulator x is going to be dx10 will I see a difference in fsx when I patch it with the dx10 between my current high end dx9 card and the nvidia 8600gt? Thanks.

At this point its anyone's guess. We really dont know for sure what sort of performance drop or gain you'll see with DX10 cards, since theres really no DX10 games out yet.

At this point its anyone's guess. We really dont know for sure what sort of performance drop or gain you'll see with DX10 cards, since theres really no DX10 games out yet.

As I said fsx is a dx10 game, well till m$ comes out a patch for it. I guess ill be getting a 8600gt and take the risk during the summer time(when its time to do a comp upgrade), or actually I will wait for the r600 to come out and see its performance and the price . RIght now I dont believe any benchmarks/pricing out there since r600 is the most rumoured card out there :/

As I said fsx is a dx10 game, well till m$ comes out a patch for it. I guess ill be getting a 8600gt and take the risk during the summer time(when its time to do a comp upgrade), or actually I will wait for the r600 to come out and see its performance and the price . RIght now I dont believe any benchmarks/pricing out there since r600 is the most rumoured card out there :/

It will be a DX10 game, but only after its been patched. :p

As of RIGHT NOW, theres no DX10 running games out, so its really impossible to say what the performance will be. In fact you could arguably say that we wont really know the full effects of DX10 until a game that fully utilizes it comes out. Something like Crysis.

It will be a DX10 game, but only after its been patched. :p

As of RIGHT NOW, theres no DX10 running games out, so its really impossible to say what the performance will be. In fact you could arguably say that we wont really know the full effects of DX10 until a game that fully utilizes it comes out. Something like Crysis.

:rolleyes: :D. Im still kind of wondering why nvidia has made dx10 cards if theres nothing that uses dx10:confused: . I know I can google this but can someone answer me? Whats new about dx10? *feels dumb* I know its better then dx9 but how? more graphic features?:confused:

:rolleyes: :D. Im still kind of wondering why nvidia has made dx10 cards if theres nothing that uses dx10:confused: . I know I can google this but can someone answer me? Whats new about dx10? *feels dumb* I know its better then dx9 but how? more graphic features?:confused:

Whats capable before DX10.
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/792/792287/img_3876938.html

Whats capable after DX10.
http://media.pc.ign.com/media/792/792287/img_3876940.html

Also:
http://www.driverheaven.net/articles/dx10/

This isn't a standardized test I want to see the timedemos so we have a baseline to compare too that is the point of benchmarks. :) Subjective testing isn't a good idea to gauge performance.;)

Will do if I can figure out how to use a time demo. My google-fu is strong.

I think it has to be optimized for each card gen, because I just got a bunch of blanks for the info. *shrug*

Got some more Benchmarks.

Fear
1280x960
4xAA, 8xAF, High Quality
Frames, Time (ms), Min, Max, Avg
6032, 193361, 6, 143, 31.196

Quake 4 Demo (Indoors)
1280x1024
No AA, High Quality
10083, 359075, 6, 62, 28.080

Quake 4 Demo (Outdoors)
1280x1024
No AA, High Quality
5226, 95520, 9, 62, 54.711

Not bad. These werent preset demo's either, they were of actual gameplay.

Would you mind downloading and installing this benchmark?
http://dl.square-enix.co.jp/taru/FFXiB3Setup.exe

It's the benchmark program for Final Fantasy XI, just run the benchmark mode at high detail if you please!

The weird thing about this benchmark is that you have to watch the numbers the whole time because it doesn't give you a readout at the end.

FFXI is very CPU limited but I'm still interested. on my overclocked E6400 and 7800GTX I rack in 8427...

I've been playing this game since 2002...

Would you mind downloading and installing this benchmark?
http://dl.square-enix.co.jp/taru/FFXiB3Setup.exe

It's the benchmark program for Final Fantasy XI, just run the benchmark mode at high detail if you please!

The weird thing about this benchmark is that you have to watch the numbers the whole time because it doesn't give you a readout at the end.

FFXI is very CPU limited but I'm still interested. on my overclocked E6400 and 7800GTX I rack in 8427...

I've been playing this game since 2002...

Sure, I could do that. Will have to wait until later this evening though when I get off work/class, but it will happen. :)

LMAO....i strolled into BB today......

2 8600gts cards...

reference PNY & the bfg 8600gts OC.......268.00 each:eek: :eek:

thats freakin insane......287.00 for a reference evga 8800gts seems like a far better deal.....

only a 21.00 difference for far less performance?????

the egg should have a fair price on these.....

LMAO....i strolled into BB today......

2 8600gts cards...

reference PNY & the bfg 8600gts OC.......268.00 each:eek: :eek:

thats freakin insane......287.00 for a reference evga 8800gts seems like a far better deal.....

only a 21.00 difference for far less performance?????

the egg should have a fair price on these.....

Something tells me that the manager of that store is being greedy.

whats the price supposed to be???

I paid 249.99 for my BFG 8600GTS OC from BB. My guesses thats around MSRP from most of the rumors floating around.

I tried running Quake and Fear again last night toying around with some settings to get the feel of the card. Once you crank down some of the eye candy (but keep a decent resolution and still High quality), it performs MUCH better.

The 128bit bus does hold it back a bit, but if you can live without the eye candy, I think this is actually a pretty decent card. I was putting around most of the Quake demo with around 50-60 fps (with all settings under advanced video turned off). Everything still looks pretty decent, besides for peoples faces. o_O

I think I will be keeping the card after all. I can take the extra 60 bucks or so I was going to spend on a decent XFX 8800GTS and get a PPU or a new monitor.

Just not worth it when you can get a pny or evga 8800 gts 320 for the same price after rebate.

Just not worth it when you can get a pny or evga 8800 gts 320 for the same price after rebate.

1. I wouldnt touch a PNY card. :p
2. I honestly prefer BFG or XFX.

But theres a bunch of other issues too. Its single slot. Its MUCH cooler on your case. My main computer is a SFF box so size and heat are pretty big issues. Besides, unless your a huge FPS fan (or have a gigantic monitor), you dont really need a terribly strong GPU.

The heat isnt just worth it to me. Same reason I wouldnt touch a 2900XT.

I paid 249.99 for my BFG 8600GTS OC from BB. My guesses thats around MSRP from most of the rumors floating around.

I tried running Quake and Fear again last night toying around with some settings to get the feel of the card. Once you crank down some of the eye candy (but keep a decent resolution and still High quality), it performs MUCH better.

The 128bit bus does hold it back a bit, but if you can live without the eye candy, I think this is actually a pretty decent card. I was putting around most of the Quake demo with around 50-60 fps (with all settings under advanced video turned off). Everything still looks pretty decent, besides for peoples faces. o_O

I think I will be keeping the card after all. I can take the extra 60 bucks or so I was going to spend on a decent XFX 8800GTS and get a PPU or a new monitor.

yeah...249.99 + tax = 268.00

newegg ....evga 8800gts @ reference speeds + 287.00 after tax an shipping

i dont count rebates becuase they are BS...what will a $20 rebate buy????

im really debating....i dont think i have enough 12V current to run or the space for 8800gts 320...

the res used would be 1440x900

@Neist
Can you please run the two fill-rate tests of 3DMark2001SE?
This numbers can maybe solve the big question mark about the hardware units of the 8600GTS-core(G84).:)

http://vr-zone.com/?i=4883&s=2

:) the 8600gt beats the 7900gt in bf2142 (which I sometimes play) so I will probibly be getting a 8600 and also its dx10(will be great for fsx) I wonder if there would be any difference between 7900gt and 8600gt in sli?

yeah...249.99 + tax = 268.00

newegg ....evga 8800gts @ reference speeds + 287.00 after tax an shipping

i dont count rebates becuase they are BS...what will a $20 rebate buy????

im really debating....i dont think i have enough 12V current to run or the space for 8800gts 320...

the res used would be 1440x900

My monitors native res is 1440x900 and my 8800gts runs everything at that res like a dream, I just picked up C&C 3 the other day and the game just looks awesome ;)

Back