NEW 8800GTS 512MB 65nm CONFIRMED...

What do you guys think the noise is going to be on this thing compared to the 8800GT?

the heatsink will be larger, so cooling should be better...However, from the picture, you have a dual slot heatsink being cooled by a single slot fan....and that gets me wondering. We all know the best thing to happen to stock cooling was when the 8800 dual slot cooling cards came out. Quiet and with a long life....Moving to a smaller fan to push a larger heatsink sounds like a bad move...A stupid move...and I suspect that the card in the pic may not be the final product or an outright fake.

I think it also has something to do with the shader clock as well as even when EVGA and BFG released a second gts with 112 SP it didn't beat out the gt because they didn't push the shader clock, with that said the new new GTS has it's shaders clocked at 1625 MHz stock (ignoring pre overclocked versions) compared to the gt's 1500 MHz stock ( again ignoring pre overclocked versions), so assuming this information is accurate, should be very good

Yea actually I agree the shader clock also helped.

What do you guys think the noise is going to be on this thing compared to the 8800GT?

The new GTS will at least match the current GTX however no one can prove it yet, but I have made up my mind as we have enough info to make a educated guess. It may struggle against the current GTX in a handful of games like like World in conflict at very high resolutions where the 512MB has proven to be not quiet enough, but that is nit picking.

Id love to see a direct comparrison between the new GTS and my current over clocked XFX GTX. Im trying to decide whether to go SLI with another GTX or to buy two new GTS's. The price seems to be fairly close too.

Shader clocks provide huge boosts in modern games

My 8800Ultra OC'd shaders up to 1728 was huge difference compared to stock 1512 clocks

Id love to see a direct comparrison between the new GTS and my current over clocked XFX GTX. Im trying to decide whether to go SLI with another GTX or to buy two new GTS's. The price seems to be fairly close too.

If I was you i would do one of two things.

1. Hock off your current card and probably get close to the money back for a new GTS and then buy another GTS for SLI . This will be around $200 cheaper than than buying another GTX for you current card and be at least as fast and I believe a bit faster. (unless you can pick up a cheap GTX from somewhere).

2. Wait to see what new flagship is coming, probably the 9800GTX which for now is speculation, but there has to be a new top card, you cannot sell a current 8800GTX for more than the new GTS, its common sense.

Woot! Thank the lord I didn't upgrade my 7900GT to the 8800GT so now I can get a better version for the same price ($300) and I can still have 3 full months to wait for a new flagship to upgrade when I need! Thats assuming the new cards do come out within 3 months from December :(

the heatsink will be larger, so cooling should be better...However, from the picture, you have a dual slot heatsink being cooled by a single slot fan....and that gets me wondering. We all know the best thing to happen to stock cooling was when the 8800 dual slot cooling cards came out. Quiet and with a long life....Moving to a smaller fan to push a larger heatsink sounds like a bad move...A stupid move...and I suspect that the card in the pic may not be the final product or an outright fake.

Given the clocks ,I believe it only needs the single slot , but since it will use more shaders making a dual with heat exhaust is the only additional cooling edge it will need imho

The GT needed a dual slot. 2nd card runs @ 100% when installing XP! Of course removing it solves the problem, but the cooler...

1. keeps hot air in case
2. too loud when over 50%

cant wait for some proper benches..... i like how the new nvidia cards since the ultra cover the caps and stuff... i remember when i was taking a GTS out of a PC and was hoping to god my hand didnt slip and knock any off lol

so DEC 3'RD They are released. I could wait till then. If anyone remembers the 8800GT was going for retail on newegg when it was just released.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Maybe it's just because this is rumoured to be "new hardware" but to me that thing looks sexy. I kind of like the fact there are no graphics...

This is a prototype test card, not the final product. The one you buy next month won't look like this.

It will be a dual slot cooler. It just won't be a generic ugly cooler like the one pictured. If it's a test model, they're not going to waste time trying to make it visually appealing is all.

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=4300&Itemid=34

Nvidia won’t launch Geforce 8800 GTS 512 cards based on G92 on the 3rd or 4th of December as many implied. The new date is the middle of the month, between 12th and 14th.

Geforce 8800GT 512MB is still hard to get and we doubt that the situation will get better anytime soon, as the card is great and the demand is massive.

The new sort of high end card has every chance to be faster than 8800 GTX or even Ultra, but it will be crippled at some ultra high resolutions due to its 256 bit memory interface.

It will be there right before Xmas and we can just hope that there will be enough of them for everyone.

I like the look. I much prefer black, sleek looking cards instead of bright red plastic or stickers of CGI women with guns and swords. No one sees that crap anyway, it's upside down facing the ground about 3 inches away from the metal bottom of a case.

I like the look. I much prefer black, sleek looking cards instead of bright red plastic or stickers of CGI women with guns and swords. No one sees that crap anyway, it's upside down facing the ground about 3 inches away from the metal bottom of a case.

I totally agree, this card looks great. Too bad it's going to be covered in some ugly stickers.

I'd say if this is true, it should beat out the GTX and the ULTRA way more shader power and even tmu are clocked higher arn't they? the only - is the mem bandwidth, we saw how much that helped the Radeon HD2900 vs 3870 ^^

Supposedly $300-$350. We'll have to see if street prices match it this time, or if it will be similarly in short supply and thus have much higher prices. I suspect the latter, as if it manages to stay at MSRP, the 8800 GT prices nearly that high now will have to go down, and the etailers won't like that. ;) Hopefully I'm just being cynical though.

Mine ends on the 7th. :p

My back-up plan? Step-up to a 8800GT and sell it on eBay for $300. That's what they are going for, then use the cash to buy a G92 GTS with a fresh 90-day step-up.

Mine ends on the 7th. :p

My back-up plan? Step-up to a 8800GT and sell it on eBay for $300. That's what they are going for, then use the cash to buy a G92 GTS with a fresh 90-day step-up.

that's an option i've been considering too. the only downside is that you'll probably be wating in queue to get your 8800GT for a couple months. i'm too damn impatient for that. i may forego the step up program all together with my current card and just sell it for $ to put towards the new GTS.

I love how this fellow cites no sources and doesn't even bother to reference unnamed sources or background sources.

What is his position, an industry insider? What credibility does he have such that any date he throws out there can be taken seriously one way or the other? Any track record?

I refuse to update to a new card unless they're released with a black PCB. Hear that nVidia?

Joins the club !! :D Seriously,I HATE the green pcb on these cards,looks like shit,period.

Won't this thing be framebuffer size limited just like the 8800GT? That card could barely beat the old GTS once you cranked up the AA and resolution at the same time.

Yuppers,just as the GT is.

I just keep wondering what we'd be seeing now from Nvidia,or better yet,using right now,IF,AMD,had come out with a R600 that truly had teeth.And not the dentures it
arrived with.... :( :mad:

I love how this fellow cites no sources and doesn't even bother to reference unnamed sources or background sources.

What is his position, an industry insider? What credibility does he have such that any date he throws out there can be taken seriously one way or the other? Any track record?

He flat out lies most of the time anyway.Take any and all that Theo writes with a massive block of salt. :)

Back