New 92% color saturation 22" TN LCD panels from AUO and Samsung

Mofongo

n00b
Hi everyone.

When I first noticed on Samsung Semiconductor's LCD panel website that they were coming out with a new 22-inch widescreen TN panel that had 92% color saturation, I thought that this was a misprint. The model in question is the LTM220M2.

Most LCDs have 72% color saturation, and this is a limitation of the cold-carbon fluorescent lamps (CCFLs) that nearly all LCDs use as a light source. Newer CCFLs have been developed that enable an increased color gamut. However, they are typically used in higher-end large (28" and larger) panels, not lowly 22" TN panels. But today, I discovered that AUO has also just released a 22" TN panel that also claims to have a 92% color gamut: the M220EW01 V1. So it looks like maybe the better CCFL technology is finding its way into 22" panels after all. What I find bizarre is that many MVA and PVA panels that have been coming out recently do not have the better CCFLs.

I started this thread in the hopes that we could also spread information and rumors regarding these new panels and what monitors they might end up in and when. I am 99% certain the new Samsung 226BW does not have the new CCFL. Therefore, Samsung must be working on a successor to this that will have it. It doesn't really seem like it would be that difficult for them to develop a model with the new panel, since it as identical specs to the one in the 226BW except for the backlight.

Mofongo

Cool. I guess that models ending in "C" will have the "super CCFL". That's good to know.

Yet another reason to wait to buy my new LCD monitor. :)

Mofongo

Well, there's different kinds of "good colour". One component would be precision which is what 8-bit (or more) buys you. You get better gradients, more detailed controls of midtones. Another would be gamut, how much of the colour spectrum something covers. One does not imply or require the other. You can make a monitor with a good gamut but poor precision if you want.

With TN, you have one of the poorest viewing angles of any LCD screen. This means you have a huge amount of color shifting, thus poor color accuracy. You have dithering, which especially affects your gradients. Its still an LCD, which means the closer you get to black, the more inaccurate your colors become. Your GPU does not even support 92% color gamut. 92% gamut on a TN panel is surely a joke.

With TN, you have one of the poorest viewing angles of any LCD screen. This means you have a huge amount of color shifting, thus poor color accuracy. You have dithering, which especially affects your gradients. Its still an LCD, which means the closer you get to black, the more inaccurate your colors become. Your GPU does not even support 92% color gamut. 92% gamut on a TN panel is surely a joke.

How does a GPU "not support 92% color gamut"? Color gamut is completely independent of anything that comes out of the graphics card. Please explain.

Mofongo

So is % color gambit and number of colors different? Because that panel and the 226 BW have the same number of colors.

Your video card (atleast modern current generation or even last gen) support a full 12-bit color range reproduction. Not sure where you get your information from..

From talking to users who deal with high end graphics and photography they had nothing but bad things to say about the Samsung 931C which supposedly covered 97% of the gammut.

So is % color gambit and number of colors different? Because that panel and the 226 BW have the same number of colors.
From the research I have done, gamut refers to the range of colors (in this case, it's a triangular area). Number of colors is the number of colors within that range that are displayed. Ideally, you'd like to be able to display each and every color within a gamut, but there are limitations with today's hardware. So displaying 16.7 million colors (true 8-bit) within a 72% of NTSC (which is sRGB I think) means a smaller gradient between colors than 16.7 million colors of 92% NTSC (which is RGB I think) but you'll be able to see colors in the 92% space that you could not see in the 72% space (mainly, those colors outside of the sRGB gamut).

At least, that's my limited understanding.

Back