New A64 3400+ heart attack today....

Davenow

Gawd
So I get my shiny new chip and MB, I pop the proccy in, click the lever down, and seat the HS/fan
Then an hour later I get back from lunch, having went out and bought some arctic silver, and I unclip the hs/fan and it is sticking.
I wiggle it a bit, figuring it is just stuck in the black plastic framework around the hs area, and POP it yanks up out, PULLING THE PROCESSOR OUT OF THE CLIPPED DOWN SOCKET WITH IT :eek:

Luckily no pins were damaged it is working fine...

yeah, seems like people are learning the hard way that thermal paste is quite viscous, especially over a large surface area.
next time, twist and slide the hsf off while pulling up somewhat gently.

blark said:
yeah, seems like people are learning the hard way that thermal paste is quite viscous, especially over a large surface area.
next time, twist and slide the hsf off while pulling up somewhat gently.

no can do, the hs/fan fits EXACTLY into the black plastic frame. It cant move any direction but up and down

bleh, that's evil.. umm, i don't use the retention frame with my zalman, but is it possible to take it off without removing the motherboard? i know there's a backplate that's glued on that shouldn't come off unless some force is applied to it, but i forget if the screws were on the front or back side

That happened to me too. My cpu came out w/ the stock hsf when I was changing them out Christams morning. All is good though, thank god.

doesnt matter, if you can yank it upwards only in a straight direction, your proc wont get bent pins.

sounds good in theory, but in practice, it's very hard to do that. ;)
(or at least it is for me, but i'm clumsy anyway)

hah keep the TIM in lower amounts.. the amount needed for my a64 wouldnt prop up my CPU when i pulled my hs off. :) thiiin razor amounts. dont believe the arctic silver site its just for scrubs who cant use a razor or people who are too lazhy.

A good idea is to run your favorite benchmark a few times and the pull of the heatsink.

viccyran said:
thiiin razor amounts. dont believe the arctic silver site its just for scrubs who cant use a razor or people who are too lazhy.
no, the site is right. i tried both ways, and the small blob in the center gave better temps by about 2-3c

Back