New AMD for prep, for Vista

Confederate

Limp Gawd
Could some of you fine chaps Send me in the right direction to a new build that would be great for gaming and Vista ready, Like tell me what CPU ,Motherboard, Etc to use ,Ive build like 3 pcs but i am unaware of the Dual processors and such , Lets see some ideas !!!

Well, I'm running Vista build 5347 on an AMD K6-II and a GeForce MX4000 PCI 128MB (yes, thats right, it has 128mb of ram! WOW) and 64mb of PC66 (my dad said he doesnt want to buy me PC100 until I bring my grades up :( ) and it runs Windows Vista fine. I'm able to turn on clear type as long as I only have three windows open at the max. This is on a 4 gig Bigfoot HDD and a 24X Plextor (OH YEAH :cool:.) CD-ROM modded to 1X DVD-ROM with Snailbark's CD<->DVD dongle.

robberbaron said:
Well, I'm running Vista build 5347 on an AMD K6-II and a GeForce MX4000 PCI 128MB (yes, thats right, it has 128mb of ram! WOW) and 64mb of PC66 (my dad said he doesnt want to buy me PC100 until I bring my grades up :( ) and it runs Windows Vista fine. I'm able to turn on clear type as long as I only have three windows open at the max. This is on a 4 gig Bigfoot HDD and a 24X Plextor (OH YEAH :cool:.) CD-ROM modded to 1X DVD-ROM with Snailbark's CD<->DVD dongle.

Do they have any betetr games? 3D Solitare?

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
Do they have any betetr games? 3D Solitare?

Scorpion Solitaire. I am under NDA, so I can't show any screen shots of it, but lets just say that if you like Heavy Metal, Lithuanian Immigrants, and Quake 2, you'll LOVE Scorpion Solitaire.

Well i was hoping for a top of the line type, Not over the top thought,Look at my signature thats my everyday computer,I want somthing better than that, I was told the new Vista need Dual core cpu

Well I'm sure that on a K6-2 you won't be able to display any of the beautiful visual effects that Vista has to offer.

If you want to run Vista at its full potential, here are my recommendations:

Athlon 64 3200+ or better
1GB DDR SDRAM or more
Geforce 6 series or better (ATI equivalent is X800 series)

Confederate said:
Well i was hoping for a top of the line type, Not over the top thought,Look at my signature thats my everyday computer,I want somthing better than that, I was told the new Vista need Dual core cpu

im sure that vista will not need a dual core. i dont think microsoft is that effing stupid to shortchange out all the single core guys out there :rolleyes:

robberbaron said:
Scorpion Solitaire. I am under NDA, so I can't show any screen shots of it, but lets just say that if you like Heavy Metal, Lithuanian Immigrants, and Quake 2, you'll LOVE Scorpion Solitaire.

You are a bad, bad man.

Bona Fide said:
Well I'm sure that on a K6-2 you won't be able to display any of the beautiful visual effects that Vista has to offer.

If you want to run Vista at its full potential, here are my recommendations:

Athlon 64 3200+ or better
1GB DDR SDRAM or more
Geforce 6 series or better (ATI equivalent is X800 series)
I think the specs to see all that vista has to offer would be more like this.

Any modern CPU (Intel 2.6Ghz+, AMD Any A64 based processor)
1GB Ram hopefully more
Geforce 5 series or ATi 9xxx or better

Best budget build would be:
AMD Sempron 2600+(Runs games fine... Can be oced to 2.2+)
Biostar Tforce 754
6800GS or 7800GT
1 or 2 GIG G.skill DDR500 Ram.

Best midrange would be:
AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core
Socket 939 Nforce 4 mobo
6800GS or 7800GT

L1ght said:
Biostar Tforce 754
6800GS or 7800GT
1 or 2 gig cheapo DDR400 ram

Best midrange would be:
AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core
Socket 939 Nforce 4 mobo
6800GS or 7800GT
1 or 2 gig cheapo DDR400 ram

fixed. I think getting anything faster is a waste of money, its not worth the money for the 2% increase in speed. Better off spending the extra money to get a processor with a higher multiplier.

robberbaron said:

Your dad's rewarding your good grades with seven year old ram!? Why would you care? It's not going to be running games anyway. Also, why do you have such an old PC and yet you have a MSDN subscription?

EDIT: Ok, joke, I should read things more carefully.

I installed it on my computer (in sig, although its on an old PATA 40gb HDD) and it runs fine, with all the fancy animations and cool effects (I like the interface a LOT)

Interesting thing to note is that there's a 'system rating' in the control panel - my comp received a 3. I don't know what scale that is on.

Hmmm... with a 300, a 320, and a 40, maybe I should go home and get my old 6gb drive, just for statistic's sake

Cool thanks for the ideas, I liked the reviews the dual cores have been getting for gaming.

Confederate said:
Cool thanks for the ideas, I liked the reviews the dual cores have been getting for gaming.

Yeah, those are good, but an Intel 386 with a Math coprocessor is almost like a dual core. I mean, in the sense that there are two chips that do calculations. It can also run passively cooled, unlike that ultra-hot AMD crap.

robberbaron said:
Yeah, those are good, but an Intel 386 with a Math coprocessor is almost like a dual core. I mean, in the sense that there are two chips that do calculations. It can also run passively cooled, unlike that ultra-hot AMD crap.

lol....wtf? ;)

Careful, people are going to take you seriously. :D

I really hope they don't. That would be kindof sad to see newbs in the Intel forum saying "Dude check out my uberl33t 386!1!1!!. It's a dual core."

L1ght said:
Biostar Tforce 754
6800GS or 7800GT

Best midrange would be:
AMD 3800+ X2 Dual Core
Socket 939 Nforce 4 mobo
6800GS or 7800GT

Those specs are way overblown to run vista. We arent talking about gaming here, all you need is a moderatly fast processor, decent amounts of ram, and a video card that supports WGF1.0 (dx9).

My first pc was a Packard Bell 25 mhz ,I upgraded to 50 and installed a math processor in it , I bought 4mb of ram cost me$$ 185.00 :mad: PC was a SX to a DX

robberbaron said:
What kind of heavy metal? Like Sunn O))) heavy? :cool:

baldrik said:
robberbaron is obviously a liar. everyone knows theres no such thing as a k6
I have a K6! I want a cookie!

Dream Evil-The book of Heavy Metal, the first 5seconds where he screams METAAAAAAL :) should say it everytime you win.

Rofl-Mic-Lofl said:
Dream Evil-The book of Heavy Metal, the first 5seconds where he screams METAAAAAAL :) should say it everytime you win.

Unfortunately, we have to wait for Vista SP1 before we can "win" at scorpion solitaire. :(

You guys obviously don't know what Sunn O))) is then...

50 Cent/Eminem are rap, which is not heavy.

Vette5885 said:
Interesting thing to note is that there's a 'system rating' in the control panel - my comp received a 3. I don't know what scale that is on.

It's not a very good rating system IMO. It rates everything in my comp a 5.8 or 5.9... but my opteron a 2.something. It rates my system as a 2 overall. I'm sorry but I'll cry bullshit on that one... lol

AlmostEvil said:
im sure that vista will not need a dual core. i dont think microsoft is that effing stupid to shortchange out all the single core guys out there :rolleyes:

I think it will run fine on single core, but you DO realize that before long the only single core processors around will be the duron/celeron(or whatever they'll call them) type budget cpus? And eventually even those will go dual core and quad core will be very much available before too long.

I am sure vista will be made with multithreading in mind.

Borgschulze said:
You guys obviously don't know what Sunn O))) is then...

50 Cent/Eminem are rap, which is not heavy.

*psst*
There might be some satire/sarcasm in my posts, not sure. Afterall, I did say "Boy George" and "50 Cent" in the same sentence.

robberbaron said:
*psst*
There might be some satire/sarcasm in my posts, not sure. Afterall, I did say "Boy George" and "50 Cent" in the same sentence.
I don't know what Boy George sounds like, and I don't like rap, nor do I watch TV or pay attention to popular stuff.

I think if I adopted the use of "Smilies" I might not have so many people taking my posts the wrong way.

baldrik said:
karma chamelleon!
I grew up taking radios apart, any music I listened to was stuff like Black Sabbath, Nine Inch Nails, or The Ramones, none of which I still listen to (Except NIN), but I think we should get back on topic.

Back