New BF3 Rig recommendations

pillbub

Weaksauce
This is my current rig:

Quad core Q6600 Processor
8800 Ultra Ge Force
4 gigabites SDRAM.
Windows 7 64 bit.

What mainstream components would I need to buy and upgrade in order to run High to Very High settings at 1920x1200? I have been out of the pc components loop for 2 years so I'm looking to spend no more than $700 to get BF3 looking as sexy as possible. Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
you didn't state a budget, but off the cuff i'd say:

CPU - i5-2500K
RAM - 8GB of whatever strikes your fancy
PSU - to be determined after you've pieced everything together
GPU - first and foremost, more than 1GB vram. BF3 is a vram junky and even at that moderate res you'll chew through 1GB in no time. i'd say SLI GTX 580's or CF 6970's.

This is my current rig:

8800 Ultra Ge Force
4 gigabites SDRAM.
Windows 7 64 bit.

I am the kind of person that its all or nothing if I cant play on Max settings Ultra OR Very High settings with a minimum of 1920x1200 res I flat out wont play the game. Its a quam I have I am completely aware the game is fucking amazing on medium graphics I have to play the game at max however.

What mainstream components would I need to buy and replace in order to achieve Very High settings at 1920x1200? Thanks in Advance.

I went from almost your exact same rig to the rig in my signature, however I'm running at 2560x1600. A single 580/6970 may be enough at that res, but from what I see other's saying SLI/Xfire is still required if you want high AA and all eye candy on even at 1920x1200. In that case, you should be OK with 570/6950 SLI/Xfire rather than 580/6970.

Maybe I was a little over ambitious lol. I definatley want to spend less than a grand and still be able to run at 1920x1200 on High settings.

I thought the only 2 components I'd need to replace are graphics card and possibly the CPU (even though it recomends quadcore and I already have 4gigs ram and a q6600).

Would just buying a HD6970 or GTX 570 and nothing else get me to 1920x1200 on High? or would I need to replace the cpu too..if so which cpu would you recomend I've been out of the loop on the past 2 years of pc components. Again, looking to spend around $700 for both graphics card + cpu.

What is your Q6600 clocked to? I think if you have it OC'ed to 3.2GHz+ those things still have a lot of juice left. Putting in a 6970 or 570/580 should definitely show an improvement, BF3 seems to be more GPU capped than CPU capped, though it is a heavy CPU user.

My Q6600 isnt oc'd because I've been mostly a wow junkie for 2 years so there isnt a need to boost it until now where it sits currently at stock 2.4GHz.

I also tried oc'ing it to about 2.8ghz+ but I think i started freezing up even though I have several fans ect.

A i3 2100/GTX 580 combo MAY work I'm not positive it could handle 64 player online though....

My Q6600 isnt oc'd because I've been mostly a wow junkie for 2 years so there isnt a need to boost it until now where it sits currently at stock 2.4GHz.

I also tried oc'ing it to about 2.8ghz+ but I think i started freezing up even though I have several fans ect.

Sounds like you don't have an aftermarket heatsink? At stock, I don't think you would be too happy about it's performance, but once you break into 3.0 - 3.4 territory, it makes a huge noticeable difference. When I first got my Q6600, even just playing CS:S, I've never noticed such a perceptible difference after OC'ing when I went from 2.4 - 3.2. Grab a Zalman, worked great on mine, and go nuts.

Would just buying a HD6970 or GTX 570 and nothing else get me to 1920x1200 on High? or would I need to replace the cpu too..if so which cpu would you recomend I've been out of the loop on the past 2 years of pc components. Again, looking to spend around $700 for both graphics card + cpu.

A 6970 or 570 should get you High (with FXAA but no MSAA) with no problem at that resolution. A GTX 580 would get you mostly Ultra to Ultra (again with FXAA but no MSAA) at playable framerates. SLI/Crossfire 560s or 6950s would be another option.

This is my current rig:

8800 Ultra Ge Force
4 gigabites SDRAM.
Windows 7 64 bit.

I am the kind of person that its all or nothing if I cant play on Max settings Ultra OR Very High settings with a minimum of 1920x1200 res I flat out wont play the game. Its a quam I have I am completely aware the game is fucking amazing on medium graphics I have to play the game at max however.

What mainstream components would I need to buy and replace in order to achieve Very High settings at 1920x1200? Thanks in Advance.

the system in my sig is running this game flawlessly on high settings for 64 conquest. however, i am not using vsync / AA / AO as i never liked vsync on fps's (feels floaty for some reason), never thought AA added too much for me personally at 1920x1200 or higher resolutions, and thought AO might give me a slight disadvantage in multiplayer as i thought it would make it harder to spot people hiding in shadowy areas.

i pumped everything up to ultra to play through the campaign and it ran without a hitch. to be honest, i'm quite surprised by how well the q660 and 5870 is running the game.

A 6970 or 570 should get you High (with FXAA but no MSAA) with no problem at that resolution. A GTX 580 would get you mostly Ultra to Ultra (again with FXAA but no MSAA) at playable framerates. SLI/Crossfire 560s or 6950s would be another option.

According to [H], the 6970 and 580 are pretty even with Ultra Settings.

you didn't state a budget, but off the cuff i'd say:

CPU - i5-2500K
RAM - 8GB of whatever strikes your fancy
PSU - to be determined after you've pieced everything together
GPU - first and foremost, more than 1GB vram. BF3 is a vram junky and even at that moderate res you'll chew through 1GB in no time. i'd say SLI GTX 580's or CF 6970's.

He doesn't need sli 580's.

OP if you can tell the dif between these 2 screens: http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1037927002&postcount=1

and want the one with 45FPS, by all means sli up, 1 x 580 is fine to play this game and it still look amazing.

Keep your CPU. Easiest way to overclock teh Q6600 to 3.0ghz is 333mhz x9. Shouldn't require a voltage increase. If your mobo displays the FSB as QDR it would be 1333mhz x9

Back