New Bios update EVGA 680i P23 BETA

nugzo said:
Major SATA/RAID issues 1150mhz and above Memory Frequency.

If you set your machine for DDR 2 800MHz speeds, do you still have the SATA issues?

I have very bad SATA issues with P23B1 - I have a RAID-0 and whenever I try running diskcheck in Windows ( the most basic one, wihout file system of bad sector fixes) the system is very likely to freeze/crash - harddrive activity just stops in the middle of the scan. Upon reboot, there is extremly severe data corruption that requires array rebuild and complete drive reformat.I hope that P23B2 fixes this.

If anyone still hates the board, feel free to IM me and Ill buy it, I need to build a new machine and Conroe still looks like the best way to go till amd gets their game in gear.

my board runs great, but i flashed the new bios anyway just for shits and giggles. so i leave my machine on while i go out for a few hours, and when i come back and try to run coretemp, i get a raid error message (first time at any speed) down near my system tray. didnt stop coretemp from running tho, and no errors showed up in the disccheck. so i am back to p21.

nugzo said:
Major SATA/RAID issues 1150mhz and above Memory Frequency.

A friend of mine still had issues with RAID 0 above 900 on the ram,so we tryed my ram and his issues are gone completely,same board as I have,I am not saying your ram is the cause but could it be a posability??
I have Buffalo Firestix 2X1gig and so far stable to 1160 MHZ,he had some Corsair from NewEgg,he is sending them back for a set of these.

vanilla_guerilla said:
my board runs great, but i flashed the new bios anyway just for shits and giggles. so i leave my machine on while i go out for a few hours, and when i come back and try to run coretemp, i get a raid error message (first time at any speed) down near my system tray. didnt stop coretemp from running tho, and no errors showed up in the disccheck. so i am back to p21.

Back with old BIOS (p21), my system would sometimes go 4 days without a single RAID error, and then throw up 15 of them in a hour. Chances are, even if you stay with P21 they will creap up sooner or later - with timing problems, you never know when you'll get just the right signal combination to trigger it.

Anyway, eVGA posted a new version (P23B2) today and it fixed the horrid RAID contoller crash. I highly recommend anyone running RAID-0 with NCQ to get this one ASAP!

Im getting BSODs after a while of flight simulator X, could it a SATA issue ?

Siconik said:
Back with old BIOS (p21), my system would sometimes go 4 days without a single RAID error, and then throw up 15 of them in a hour. Chances are, even if you stay with P21 they will creap up sooner or later - with timing problems, you never know when you'll get just the right signal combination to trigger it.

Anyway, eVGA posted a new version (P23B2) today and it fixed the horrid RAID contoller crash. I highly recommend anyone running RAID-0 with NCQ to get this one ASAP!

i think i am ok. ihave run 2 raid 0 arrays on this board since nov 11, and only that one error. actually, over 2 boards. i blew my first one up (totally my mistake)and got an advance rma 2 days later new retail box, and no errors of any kind on either board.

Dave65 said:
A friend of mine still had issues with RAID 0 above 900 on the ram,so we tryed my ram and his issues are gone completely,same board as I have,I am not saying your ram is the cause but could it be a posability??
I have Buffalo Firestix 2X1gig and so far stable to 1160 MHZ,he had some Corsair from NewEgg,he is sending them back for a set of these.

I guess its possible. I've subjected this ram to every stability test i can think of (Memtest86, Window Memtest, Orthos, Super Pi, Rightmark) and it's always been error free @ 1266 5-5-4-15 2.4v. It's not even warm. Never a hickup. The only issues i ever get is DISK/CDROM/ATAPI. It Does the exact same thing that this system did before p23beta, but it did it before at any memory frequency. I RMA'd my Raptor and 4 Hitachis to new egg in the beginning when i thought they were bad. I have another new Raptor and a new WD 400GB. Exact same issues now, only over 1200mhz. It's Kingstons new 9600 hyper-x ram that is gauranteed 1200mhz. Ive tested this ram on AMD platform with all same tests and all error free. I have another kit NIB i will try tomorrow. It is the same Memory. I really dont think its the memory though b/c no other issues at all. Please suggest more ways to test memory, I'd love to give it a try. I'd hate to think i've talked so much dookie and it's been my memory the whole time. I have had other memory pre beta p23 (mushkin redline, crucial ballistix, gskill hz, corsair dominator) but none of it went above 1200 stable. This Kingston is ROCK solid. I haven't been able to test new beta 2 bios as of yet, running leak test overnight. Another reason i dont think its the memory is because so many other people are still having SATA issues, and nvidia is still throwin SATA related bios at us.

I just nailed 17070 3DMarks in '06, and the system threw no errors after running PCMark '05 for 7 hours. I still have plenty of headroom using stock voltages on everything except the memory (2.25 volts)! Thumbs up here. Looking forward to a final release, but I'm perfectly content with my current results.

Memory: 1066
FSB: 1140
Multiplier: 12

Just ordered two of these boards, so I'm hoping that they turn out alright. Or at least, that they end up being able to fix all of these issues. If this thread is continuing after I build my system (could take a bit) I'll post results here as to whether they're working or not. Not going to overclock until I'm sure the system is stable enough from a stock point.

Thankfully I never had any of the SATA problems, only the X-Fi cracking one that was fixed in the previous bios release. Good to see EVGA / Nvidia working hard to resolve these issues.

nugzo said:
Works great @ 800

So you don't have the SATA issues at 800MHz? Then I'd say you don't have a storage controller issue at all. You have a problem with memory writing back bad data to your drives, or reading data into memory with errors. That has similar symptoms, but is a whole different problem.

Pulsar said:
Thankfully I never had any of the SATA problems, only the X-Fi cracking one that was fixed in the previous bios release. Good to see EVGA / Nvidia working hard to resolve these issues.

While I agree that it is great that NVIDIA is working so hard with eVGA to solve these issues, I don't think that a board should have been released with so many outstanding issues. Granted not every board has these problems, but it seems that far to many do. I know Intel would never release a chipset with problems like these The boards would have been close to perfect as possible before being released to the public.

NVIDIA chipsets and other non-Intel chipsets for that matter have FAR to many growing pains the first couple of months that they are on the market. I find that deplorable and it should stop. Companies don't take enough pride in their products. I think they just feel like it doesn't hurt anyone to release hardware that's in beta form at best, and they can always fix it later.

Above all else, this is why I have always said that Intel makes the BEST motherboard chipsets in the world. They are almost perfect from day 1. Exactly as computer hardware should be.

Anyone have any insider info on when we might see a final version of P23?

I heard we'll see the final BIOS today from a source VERY close to nVidia and EVGA. Not sure if there will be any changes from the Beta2, though.

GodFodder said:
I heard we'll see the final BIOS today from a source VERY close to nVidia and EVGA. Not sure if there will be any changes from the Beta2, though.

Fantastic, because my eVGA 680i board is coming in today at 6 PM, and I want to make sure that the first thing I do is install the P23 Final BIOS to dodge the bullet on all of these SATA problems. I've got a ton of data that I don't want to be corrupted. ;)

Dan_D said:
So you don't have the SATA issues at 800MHz? Then I'd say you don't have a storage controller issue at all. You have a problem with memory writing back bad data to your drives, or reading data into memory with errors. That has similar symptoms, but is a whole different problem.

Thanks for help dan. I had the IDENTICAL problems with p21 bios at any mhz (800, 900,1000) After beta bios its only over 1150ish. Memory passes EVERY test thrown at it @1266 5-5-5-15 2t. Not 1 error, ever. If you can suggest any test i can run other than memtest86, memtest(windows), Super Pi, Orthos Blend & Large fft, Rightmark, 3dmark03-06, or PCmark05, I'd love to try it. I hope it is my memory, thats an easy fix,( well actually i hope its not, its $1100 worth of memory) but i have 4gigs http://www.betanews.com/newswire/pr/Kingston_Technology_First_With_Fastest_12_GHz_Memory/35961 of it here and it gives me the same erros if i use 1 gig (tried all 4) or 2gb (tried all combinations) I've tested the memory on friends striker and it works great at same speeds. My observation is that beta bios has helped a lot. It's just not fixed completely yet. I've been speaking with jacob @ evga on the phone concerning these betas, and after explaining the issues, nothing was mentioned on their end about bad memory. EVGA http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23243 forums are full of people still having SATA issues after the beta bios. There's just not that many running their memory over 1200mhz for me to compare to. I actually havent seen anybody with memory running over 1200 here, evga or XS. If anybody is please let me know if you are error free on the reference boards. Dan i also wouldn't mind sending you 2gb of this memory for you to test for me, as long as you send it back :p After all, this is suposed to be the worlds fastest memory. :D

Dark_Legacy said:
Fantastic, because my eVGA 680i board is coming in today at 6 PM, and I want to make sure that the first thing I do is install the P23 Final BIOS to dodge the bullet on all of these SATA problems. I've got a ton of data that I don't want to be corrupted. ;)

How do you for sure that you will have a SATA issue? I've read on eVGA forum that some are having SATA after they flash with the P23 Beta 2 BIOS, where they didn't have issue prior to that. If you have a ton of data that you don't want to lose, I would not stick those drives into the board until you are certain that it does not have the SATA issue.

Waterboy said:
How do you for sure that you will have a SATA issue? I've read on eVGA forum that some are having SATA after they flash with the P23 Beta 2 BIOS, where they didn't have issue prior to that. If you have a ton of data that you don't want to lose, I would not stick those drives into the board until you are certain that it does not have the SATA issue.

My data isn't corrupt right now. I'm going to flash the motherboard with the hard drives disconnected, and plug them in after the flash is done to make sure that it doesn't corrupt my data on the first boot up.

nugzo said:
Thanks for help dan. I had the IDENTICAL problems with p21 bios at any mhz (800, 900,1000) After beta bios its only over 1150ish. Memory passes EVERY test thrown at it @1266 5-5-5-15 2t. Not 1 error, ever. If you can suggest any test i can run other than memtest86, memtest(windows), Super Pi, Orthos Blend & Large fft, Rightmark, 3dmark03-06, or PCmark05, I'd love to try it. I hope it is my memory, thats an easy fix,( well actually i hope its not, its $1100 worth of memory) but i have 4gigs http://www.betanews.com/newswire/pr/Kingston_Technology_First_With_Fastest_12_GHz_Memory/35961 of it here and it gives me the same erros if i use 1 gig (tried all 4) or 2gb (tried all combinations) I've tested the memory on friends striker and it works great at same speeds. My observation is that beta bios has helped a lot. It's just not fixed completely yet. I've been speaking with jacob @ evga on the phone concerning these betas, and after explaining the issues, nothing was mentioned on their end about bad memory. EVGA http://www.evga.com/community/messageboard/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=23243 forums are full of people still having SATA issues after the beta bios. There's just not that many running their memory over 1200mhz for me to compare to. I actually havent seen anybody with memory running over 1200 here, evga or XS. If anybody is please let me know if you are error free on the reference boards. Dan i also wouldn't mind sending you 2gb of this memory for you to test for me, as long as you send it back :p After all, this is suposed to be the worlds fastest memory. :D

I don't have any reference boards. Kyle has all of them. I returned my eVGA 680i board to the store where I bought it. You are also running all the right tests. Memtest86 is one of the few I've found that actually works and detects errors. Prime95 and Orthos are good tests because they stress the motherboard, memory controller and ram.

I'd look into RMA'ing your board at this point. I couldn't solve my issues in 2 weeks of testing and hardware swapping. After replacing this board with the Striker, everything has been good.

Is the SATA issue happening only when you have a RAID setup? Or is it for any SATA drive that you are using?

Thanks.

Burnout01 said:
Is the SATA issue happening only when you have a RAID setup? Or is it for any SATA drive that you are using?

Thanks.

RAID as well as Non-RAID, unfortunately.

Well, I just recieved my 680i, built my system, and re-built my SATA RAID-0 array with the new BIOS.

I'm glad to be the one to say this, but I've experienced no problems AT ALL.

Go get the motherboard while it's hot guys! :D

GodFodder said:

Pop over to the eVGA forums and under mother boards you will a "patch" for the latest beta bios. No need to reset the cmos, just run the patch.

Worked for me, no error logs etc, of course I'll be doing a fresh install of Windows again.

After the patch you will see in the boot screen the beta notation is gone. Feedback seems positive atm

If this is off topic please just let me know or refer me to a place where my question can be answered (though I dont think it's OT) I have just bought this board and built my new comp with it (a pretty good one I might add) and while reading up on what I have purchased I have heard the evga nvidia 680i be called the "flagship" board numerous times from a number of different parties. I know its a good board and it is still pretty new, but what is SOOOO good about it that it could be called the flagship. Believe me I love it and it is doing everything I ask and more, but this is the first computer I have really built all myself, and I wanted to know what exactly sets this one apart from any other board I may have purchased in its stead. Thank you for your time.

mabemjolnir said:
If this is off topic please just let me know or refer me to a place where my question can be answered (though I dont think it's OT) I have just bought this board and built my new comp with it (a pretty good one I might add) and while reading up on what I have purchased I have heard the evga nvidia 680i be called the "flagship" board numerous times from a number of different parties. I know its a good board and it is still pretty new, but what is SOOOO good about it that it could be called the flagship. Believe me I love it and it is doing everything I ask and more, but this is the first computer I have really built all myself, and I wanted to know what exactly sets this one apart from any other board I may have purchased in its stead. Thank you for your time.

The term "Flagship" is used by many companies in many fields to denote the best of what they make, or even the best of what ever on the market.

Enjoy the new toy ;)

I too am about to upgrade to a Core Duo E6700/6800 and was about to place my order when I stumbled across this forum!! I was sooo gung ho to get the overpriced but much hyped STRIKER when the eVGA came up when I googled the reviews.

I am gonna just stall a tad longer now!

Dan_D said:
While I agree that it is great that NVIDIA is working so hard with eVGA to solve these issues, I don't think that a board should have been released with so many outstanding issues. Granted not every board has these problems, but it seems that far to many do. I know Intel would never release a chipset with problems like these The boards would have been close to perfect as possible before being released to the public.

NVIDIA chipsets and other non-Intel chipsets for that matter have FAR to many growing pains the first couple of months that they are on the market. I find that deplorable and it should stop. Companies don't take enough pride in their products. I think they just feel like it doesn't hurt anyone to release hardware that's in beta form at best, and they can always fix it later.

Above all else, this is why I have always said that Intel makes the BEST motherboard chipsets in the world. They are almost perfect from day 1. Exactly as computer hardware should be.

Oh yes, I completely agree. But whats done is done and it was nice to see them handle these issues very well and in a timely manner.

The p24 bios was released on 1/12. What are you guys experiencing now???

I really am thinking about buying this board and I just want to make sure it's running top notch!

The p24 bios was released on 1/12. What are you guys experiencing now???

I really am thinking about buying this board and I just want to make sure it's running top notch!

I built a machine with one about three weeks ago. It has P24 on it and I didn't have any problems. Overclocking was good and it was rock solid.

Back