New Box, What to Run?

myounage

Weaksauce
I've just .. err .. suddenly started using the following as my primary computer instead of my i7 rig:

3.2GHZ P4
>>>512MB DDR<<<
Intel IGP of some form or another

This thing is seriously driving me mad. I want to throw it (and the expensive paperweight across from it) out of a window. However, I'd like to not do that. I'm sure there are some great games this could run if given the chance. I went ahead and loaded Steam onto it. Downloaded Civ IV and Torchlight so far. I'm sure Civ IV will work ... not so sure about Torchlight. Then again Torchlight has "netbook mode." Netbook mode sounds promising! Then again most netbooks outperform this system. I've already been through Fallout 1 & 2 multiple times (played 2 for 2 weeks straight on the i7 system, felt err ... weird.) As well as a lot of other classics. Guess I did never finish HL:S. Anyway, just what can I run on this thing?

i say throw it out the window.. but thats just my inner destructiveness coming out.. honestly 512mb of ram isnt enough for most modern games.. stuff pre 2006-2007 you can probably get away with running on 512mb of ram..

hell you might even be able to get RTCW:ET to run on that thing with the intel IGP..

The CPU isn't that bad and would probably be good enough for more games than you might expect. 512mb is actually good enough for most older games. Using integrated graphics on the other hand...

Galactic Civilizations 2 had low system requirements, and I liked that game.

Start looking at http://www.gog.com for classics that you missed.

The original Counterstrike and other GoldSrc based games (anything Source is going to rape that system without a dedicated GPU of some sort).

Quake Live

Tiger Woods Online (I have played that successfully on a similar system)

Basically anything from before 2000 should be golden.

Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 will give you weeks worth of play time even if you play hours a day. They are seriously mad long games. Simple graphics but amazing story and game play.

Don't throw it out the window put it on craigslist lol...

I was going to say Torchlight before I even saw it in your post!

DosBox + Daggerfall and Arena. Both free on the elderscrolls site.

BF1942 with Desert Combat mod
MOHAA and expansion packs (though it depends. how bad is the Intel IGP? I remember running this game with a TNT2)
RCT2
Simcity 3000 ( SC4 would eat that machine for lunch due to RAM requirements)

If you're feeling really adventurous, throw a copy of Windows 98SE on there and, like one of the previous posters mentioned, install some pre-2000 games. A lot of users on here will cringe at the idea of using Windows 98 however some pre-2000 games, if not most, run best on that archaic OS.

I've just .. err .. suddenly started using the following as my primary computer instead of my i7 rig:

3.2GHZ P4
>>>512MB DDR<<<
Intel IGP of some form or another

This thing is seriously driving me mad. I want to throw it (and the expensive paperweight across from it) out of a window. However, I'd like to not do that. I'm sure there are some great games this could run if given the chance. I went ahead and loaded Steam onto it. Downloaded Civ IV and Torchlight so far. I'm sure Civ IV will work ... not so sure about Torchlight. Then again Torchlight has "netbook mode." Netbook mode sounds promising! Then again most netbooks outperform this system. I've already been through Fallout 1 & 2 multiple times (played 2 for 2 weeks straight on the i7 system, felt err ... weird.) As well as a lot of other classics. Guess I did never finish HL:S. Anyway, just what can I run on this thing?

Going from an i7 to that. :eek: I can't even imagine. I feel your pain.

Baldur's Gate 1 or 2 will give you weeks worth of play time even if you play hours a day. They are seriously mad long games. Simple graphics but amazing story and game play.

Ooooohhh ... you're right. I haven't played either, and I need to. Thanks. I'll look at other recommendations too, but I think these are going to be the winners.

ED: Know what else I just thought of? Arcanum.

Get some cheap video card from eBay or whatever. Old Intel IGPs are just... eww.

I'd fire up the old classics. System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Warcraft II, original Half-Life, GalCiv2, MOO, Sword of the Stars (no system battles and you'll be fine), X-com, Soldiers:HoWW2, Doom, Quake, Quake II, Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, Heretic, GTA2. I'd have plenty of games to play on systems like that. X-com alone would keep me busy until new parts arrived, or whatever it is you're waiting for.

Not sure how successful you'll have running source on an intel igp. Not well enough to enjoy counter-strike I imagine. Though I'd have to be pretty damn desperate to play that anyway.

heh INTEL IGP new = bleh old intel IGP = damn good luck play a sega emulator or somthing

I remember when I went from an i7 to a Pentium III. Fun times... Emulators and the games from 99-02 were my friend.

Crysis?

Sorry..... Couldn't resist....

What about Unreal Series? Those are some of my old time faves.... not sure it they are still being played online though...

Crysis?

Sorry..... Couldn't resist....

What about Unreal Series? Those are some of my old time faves.... not sure it they are still being played online though...

lol crysis wouldnt even start with the intel IGP though it would be funny to see it at minimum settings 640x480 at 1fps :p

btw the person that asked how bad the intel IGP is.. the TNT2 would probably rape the shit out of it.. :p thats how bad it is.. its not designed for gaming its designed just to display basic crap..

btw the person that asked how bad the intel IGP is.. the TNT2 would probably rape the shit out of it.. :p thats how bad it is.. its not designed for gaming its designed just to display basic crap..

I have two systems with IGPs and their max res is 1600 x 1200.

I've been doing at least 2048 x 1536 since the turn of the decade. Never owned a TNT2, but I'm willing to bet it could do 2048x1536.

So, even in 2D the TNT2 would be better...

Armed and Dangerous
Giant: Citizen Kabuto
Sacrifice
Spellforce
Rune
Breed
Chrome

Hi, it was me who asked.

Wow, I didn't know it was that bad. I do have an old PIII machine that has an Intel i810 (I think) but I don't have a TNT2 card for comparison. All I know about the IGP other than its awful performance is that it doesn't support 32-bit color or widescreen resolutions. Hell, even when I throw in a Knoppix CD I am forced to select a video mode before boot.

Actually, you're right; these IGPs are fucking terrible. I would take a TNT2 over an Intel anyday. If I were the OP I would hit the FS/FT forum or ebay for a cheap, dedicated GPU that supports at least DX9.0, whether it be AGP or PCI.

edit: OP, if you decide to get a dx9 card, get some old games that support glide and google for dgvoodoo. It's a great 3dFX card emulator and IME it works best on DX9 chipsets. I've got an old machine with a 9800 pro and it eats glide games for lunch, even at 1600x1200 4xAA 4xAF. :p

Last edited:
I cringed at the dead grandma comment. Anyway, the i7 box is up and running again, albeit with a GT 210. It wasn't POSTing due to a dead 275 :\.

I'd fire up the old classics. System Shock 2, Deus Ex, Warcraft II, original Half-Life, GalCiv2, MOO, Sword of the Stars (no system battles and you'll be fine), X-com, Soldiers:HoWW2, Doom, Quake, Quake II, Duke Nukem 3D, Hexen, Heretic, GTA2. I'd have plenty of games to play on systems like that. X-com alone would keep me busy until new parts arrived, or whatever it is you're waiting for.

ALL OF THESE!!!! specially DN3D!!

Back