New build after 5 years

DemisE

Limp Gawd
Well I decided it's time to take the plunge and build a new PC. This Q6600 has served me well but it's time to move on. This is what I got. I am going to reuse my eVGA 560's for the time being.

1 x Corsair Obsidian Series 800D CC800DW Black Aluminum / Steel ATX Full Tower Computer Case
2 x CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
1 x ASUS SABERTOOTH Z77 LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
1 x Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
2 x Intel 520 Series Cherryville SSDSC2CW240A3K5 2.5" 240GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
1 x Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
1 x CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX1200 (CMPSU-1200AX) 1200W ATX12V v2.31 / EPS12V v2.92 SLI Certified 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Active PFC Power Supply

What do you think?

the 1200W PSU looks a little overkill, why not 850W? It would handle a GF680 with no problem, unless you are planning some heavy SLI

the 1200W PSU looks a little overkill, why not 850W? It would handle a GF680 with no problem, unless you are planning some heavy SLI

It is overkill for sure. However since I am not upgrading the video cards at this time I expect I will in a year or two at which time the 1200W should sill be enough power for whatever I get at that time.

well if you have the money, go for it

2 x CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 15000) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9
For current Intel platforms, they do not benefit that much from higher speed RAM. In fact, with current Intel platforms, you wouldn't notice a performance difference between DDR3 1333 RAM and DDR3 2400 RAM. So drop down to DDR3 1600 RAM and you'll be fine:
$47 - G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

1 x Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I72600K
Two questions:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) Why not wait for Ivy Bridge?

It is overkill for sure. However since I am not upgrading the video cards at this time I expect I will in a year or two at which time the 1200W should sill be enough power for whatever I get at that time.

Are you planning on triple/quad Crossfire/SLI? Thats really what you need that 1200W PSU for. Even for just regular SLI for most GPUs, you need just a good quality 850W. With that said, if you have the

Even 850W is overkill for this setup. Just get a Corsair HX750W and your good assumming you don't add more HDDS and another GPU. Save your money and buy some proper food after you finish your rig. :)

For current Intel platforms, they do not benefit that much from higher speed RAM. In fact, with current Intel platforms, you wouldn't notice a performance difference between DDR3 1333 RAM and DDR3 2400 RAM. So drop down to DDR3 1600 RAM and you'll be fine:
$47 - G.Skill Ripjaws Series F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

The RAM I picked was only $12 more so I am not too worried about that.

Two questions:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) Why not wait for Ivy Bridge?

1) Gaming, Web Browsing, Work
2) My original plan was to wait for Ivy bridge but in the end I don't think I will notice a huge difference in what I got and what Ivy has to offer in the next 2-4 weeks.

Are you planning on triple/quad Crossfire/SLI? Thats really what you need that 1200W PSU for. Even for just regular SLI for most GPUs, you need just a good quality 850W. With that said, if you have the

I want to try triple SLI but it would require a large purchase on my end. I would either need to get a third Apple Cinema Display or find a new brand all together which means 3 new monitors as well as 3 GPU's.

I know the PSU I picked is well over what I currently have. However if I do decide to do triple SLI or need to add a bunch of hard drives for whatever reason I don't want to have to worry about supplying enough power to the unit. I had a system blow up on me due to not having enough power in the past and I don't want to revisit that again. House smelled bad for a month and my wife still yells about it. lol

Even 850W is overkill for this setup. Just get a Corsair HX750W and your good assumming you don't add more HDDS and another GPU. Save your money and buy some proper food after you finish your rig. :)

3 squares a day

I think you are spending too much money for the ~1% of performance increase you'll get by saving the money and putting it towards something else.

What's your budget?

I want to try triple SLI but it would require a large purchase on my end. I would either need to get a third Apple Cinema Display or find a new brand all together which means 3 new monitors as well as 3 GPU's.

I know the PSU I picked is well over what I currently have. However if I do decide to do triple SLI or need to add a bunch of hard drives for whatever reason I don't want to have to worry about supplying enough power to the unit. I had a system blow up on me due to not having enough power in the past and I don't want to revisit that again. House smelled bad for a month and my wife still yells about it. lol

That IF should be your main concern because I was in the same situation as you. I wanted to get the biggest and baddest components in a way to future proof my rig. But let me tell you within a year, I was already trying to sell my SUPER RIG for a much cheaper and more practical rig. It really boils down to if you are certain that you are going to SLI/Crossfire and add more components. Just a friendly advice, be certain of what you want and stick with it and don't look to the unknowing future. Also if you are going to crossfire/sli get the 2011 boards, which would best serve your purpose. However, if you aren't then just get the SB, or if you can wait, get the IBs.

Last edited:
I think you are spending too much money for the ~1% of performance increase you'll get by saving the money and putting it towards something else.

What's your budget?

Not quite sure I understand what you are getting at here. I didn't have a budget when I bought this setup...

Not quite sure I understand what you are getting at here. I didn't have a budget when I bought this setup...

Well if you already bought the setup, why ask for build help now? :confused:

There is no such thing as future proof with computers.

Exactly. That's what I found out. I'm just passing it on to you. Bottom line is that you don't need to get more than what you MIGHT be getting in the future. Again, if you are 100% sure you want to go the Crossfire/SLI route , then by all means go get the 1200W. If not, just get the 850 Watt and it will be more than enough.

I wasn't really asking for help. Just general thoughts on the overall build. ;)

Topics such as this usually don't end well. :eek: Which is why I try to avoid them. Had I known you already bought the parts, I wouldn't have responded.

Topics such as this usually don't end well. :eek: Which is why I try to avoid them. Had I known you already bought the parts, I wouldn't have responded.

If the OP already bought the parts why is he/she even asking? If he has the 1200 already, then there should be no problem whether he is going to Crossfire/SLI in the future or add more HDDs. :confused:

Actually, newer systems will draw less and less power per given level of performance. In fact, the way things are progressing new high-end desktops 4 years from now will draw no more than 250W at even maximum load. Thus, 1200W will be even more stupidly overkill 4 to 5 years from now than it is today. As a result, you've just wasted money on such a high-wattage PSU that you are not likely to utilize even one-third of its maximum even five years down the road. Future-proof, schmuture-schmoof.

Last edited:
JW... i'm planning on building my first computer and i understand what needs to be done... but after watching a youtube video of unboxing the fan (Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler)... It is so huge... SO the question is:

Does that fan fit in fine with ram that has heat fins on them in all 4 slots?
How to find the right size case for it too? ---> Would this work? (Rosewill THOR V2 Gaming ATX Full Tower Computer Case)

Please start your own thread instead of hijacking this one.

Back