New build finished, what now?

BoogerB

Limp Gawd
Excuse my ramblings but it's been a while since I've been the board. I thing I registered somewhere around the time of ata/66 introduction back in the day... My old Abit IC7 Max 3 and P4 3ghz died on me a few weeks ago. I think the motherboard bit the bullet as graphics worked and mem did too. Searched around on here for a while at new projects and different setups and bought a few things. I'm not a hardcore gamer but plan to play more now as I got tired of it for a while and my old BFC 6800 OC GT wasn't going to cut it. Suggestions on a few games wouldn't hurt either.

Just curious what your thoughts are on this build I just completed. I'm running the stock OEM HSF but will upgrade that soon after I do more research on what will fit and work best. I plan to switch to another harddrive soon, along with adding in the others I have. Also what can I do with the horrible amounts of cabling on the PSU from corsair? shove it on the right side of the case behind the motherboard tray?

Asus P5Q Pro
MSI R4850-T2D512 (from hardocp review)
Corsair 750TX
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR2 1066
WD 640GB
Vista 64bit
Shoved in the "old" Coolermaster Wavemaster case
w/ old ide dvd and burner (need to order sata drives, suggestions?)
Original WD Raptor 30gb and 200gb regular WD

Any tips? Any on getting windows xp to not require authentication if I plug the old hdd in and boot from it, or is that just part of the game? I need to retrieve my FF bookmarks and a couple other things. If I can do that without booting from it, exporting them and saving them I'd love to.

- Just shove the PSU cables somewhere.
- Recommended games to play:
  • Portal
  • *Team Fortress 2
  • Company of Heroes
  • Command & Conquer 3: Kane's Wrath
  • Bioshock
- Just add the Raptor as a secondary drive. Vista should see that drive and let you access it. No need to boot from the Raptor drive. The Firefox bookmarks are stored in C:\Documents and Settings\(your username)\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles

But yes, you would most likely have to reauthenticate if you try to boot the Raptor drive.

thats what I figured... I think I'm going to look for a bit wider case and use this for other purposes soon.

I did get it to boot to the raptor of course with about 14 different "new found hardware messages" and backed up the bookmarks. I couldn't navigate to the application data section.

I'll see if I can find a few demos of the games you listed and try them out.

Back