New build freezing/rebooting

asmielia

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I just built myself a new Ivy Bridge rig and I'm having massive issues with system instability and I'm running out of ideas as to what's causing it.

The system is freezing hard, and sometimes following that up with a reboot, usually within seconds of turning it on. Sometimes I can make it into the BIOS for up to a minute, but it always freezes pretty soon.

I've unplugged everything from the motherboard except for the CPU and 1 stick of RAM. So far what I've tried:
-3 different sticks of ram individually
-manually setting voltage/timings on ram to specs
-removed GPU, unplugged all hard drives and DVD burner

None of these changes have made any difference whatsoever.

My initial thoughts were that it was either a RAM or a PSU problem, but given that I've tried 3 different sticks of RAM and the PSU was in my previous rig for a year without any issues, my only remaining thought is that it's the motherboard. If anyone has any other ideas as to what I could try, please let me know.

Here are the system specs:
Gigabyte Z77X-UD5H
Intel 3570k
2x4gb Patriot Viper Extreme 1866mhz
Antec Trupower 650

Did you try disabling LPM? Seems like you'd have to have at least one drive for an OS to boot :). Also could try running a Linux Live CD to see if the problem repeats there?

I'm not even getting to the stage where I can install an OS. It's freezing within seconds of bootup, with or without any hard drives attached.

What voltage is that RAM rated at?
Which Trupower 650W is that? New? Trio?

What the other three different sticks of RAM that you tried? I.e their model numbers or their voltages.

The RAM is rated at 1.65v. I tried both sticks individually, as well as another random DDR3 1333 stick I had in another machine.

The machine detects the RAM as 1333mhz and 1.5v. I tried manually boosting the voltage to 1.65v, and set it to 1866mhz with the timings specified (9-11-9-27), but it didn't make any difference.

Sorry, I made a mistake with the PSU, it's a Corsair TX650.

First and foremost, you should return that Patriot RAM or see if it can run at DDR3 1333 at 1.5V safely for long periods of time. Intel recommends RAM rated no more than 1.5V as voltage higher than that can and will damage the CPU.

Was that DDR3 1333 stick you tried also 1.65V or 1.5V?

1.65V is definitely pushing it to the limit of what the chip is designed to take.

I really don't think this is a RAM problem. The system has had issues no matter what settings I use. I'm leaving the voltage/frequencies/timings on full auto for the Patriot sticks and a random generic DDR3 1333 stick.

I didn't say it was a RAM problem. I'm saying that the RAM is gonna be a problem in the future.

Have you tried resetting the CMOS?

If that doesn't work and you refuse to return the RAM or test to see if it can run at 1.5V well, go ahead and RMA the motherboard.

It could be a bad CPU. I built my friends computer recently and had trouble just getting into bios. If we were lucky we were able to start windows installation but then the screen would freeze and become distorted. We tried everything and finally narrowed it down to a bad CPU. Swapped the CPU and problem was solved. The store was trying to say we did it...haha..won't be going back there again...I think they re-sold a bad CPU trying to pass it off as new after somewhat tried to OC the shit out of it, fried the CPU and brought it back.

Back