New build - need advice

Obiron

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Light gaming (I mostly game on console), maybe Final Fantasy XIV, Skyrim. Some video encoding, but not often enough to warrant an i7. Outside of that, very general use. Web browsing, MS Office, etc.
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$800-900. Trying to keep it low, but I'm willing to spend a little extra to get what I want.
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US. SLC, Utah.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
CPU
CPU Cooler
Motherboard
RAM
SSD
Video Card
Case
PSU

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Storage drives (2 x 1TB)
Optical drives (BD reader, DVD burner, both SATA)
2 Monitors (1980x1020)
KB & Mouse

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not to the CPU limits, but I intend to do a slight overclock
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1980x1020 x2. 23"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
No later than black friday/cyber monday
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
RAID, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s, eSATA
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Yes. Windows 7 Pro x64

What I'm looking at so far:
CPU - i5 3570K
Cooler - Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo
SSD - Samsung 830 256GB
PSU - Corsair HX650
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws X DDR3 1600 (PCs 12800)
Case - Xigmatek Midgard II
Motherboard - ASRock Z77 Extreme4
-or- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
Video card - Undecided. Maybe a 7850 or 7870

I've been wanting to replace my four year old PC for a while now, and a couple sales earlier this week finally gave me the push I needed. I've already purchased the CPU ($180), SSD ($160), and PSU ($108). So far I've been buying parts as they go on sale. I'm willing to wait as long as black friday watching for deals. If my build isn't done by then I will pull the trigger on the rest at full price if needed.

Any critique is welcome, but the main items I'm still not sure about are:
1 - Motherboard. I've read a lot of good reviews about the ASRock, and was almost sold on it. But I've bought six Gigabyte boards without a single issue, and I have zero experience with ASRock. I'm tempted to spend the extra money to stick with a brand I know (and I like the UD5H features better than the UD3H).
2 - Video card. I don't do very heavy gaming, and would probably do just fine with a 7850 1GB currently. But I expect this rig to last me for at least 3-4 years, so I'm thinking a 7870 2GB might be a better idea in the long run. I don't want to struggle to play a game I want in a year or two. If a good 7870 were to drop to $200 or below, I would probably jump on it.
3 - Memory. Not a big deal, I just chose this set because of the latency. Is it worth $10-20 to have 8-8-8-24 over 9-9-9-24-2N?

RAM: $37 - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333

The RAM you chose just costs too much.

Also go with the Gigabyte board over the ASRock.

Not a fan of that case, but it seems to have descent cable management, just seems a bit expensive.

Between those two motherboard choices, I'd go with the Gigabyte myself. As for the video card, definietly go with the HD 7850 2GB at a minimum. Aim for the HD 7870 2GB if possible. As for the RAM, that RAM is fairly overpriced and current Intel platforms do not benefit much from lower latency RAM. I recommend this RAM instead:
$40 - Corsair Vengeance CML8GX3M2A1600C9 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

The case is $74 on Amazon with free shipping, so that helped sway me on the cost. I'm willing to look at others, but it does look like it has decent cable management, and I like the USB 3.0 on the front and the SATA dock (I can think of multiple times I would have used this if I had it, so it wouldn't be a wasted feature).

I'm glad to see the Gigabyte endorsements. I've been happy with them in the past, and I do think I'll feel better spending the extra money for something I have more confidence in.

I'll change out the RAM, I figured it might not be worth the higher price tag. As for the video card, I think I'll just keep watching for a good sale and make sure I do at least get a 2GB. I've had my eyes on this one. If they would add a sale to that rebate I'd take it. But I have my eyes open for any other deals worth grabbing.

Thanks for the tips!

Back