New build, raid 1, need advice

Juardis

Limp Gawd
Finally installed the components in my sig last night, got into the bios, but I was tired and didn't want to mess around any further, so I went to sleep.

Tonight, I will attempt to install raid in raid 1 on my brand new SATA hdd's. I have downloaded the raid drivers from XFX (the mobo maker) and copied them to a floppy. I will install XP Pro (32 bit) once I'm finished.

In what order to these things need to happen?

1. Format hdd's (you guys recommend 1 partition or 2?)
2. Setup raid 1 in the bios
3. Provide the drivers off my floppy
4. Install Windows XP Pro.

You do not need to format the drives before configuring the RAID. That is a waste of time.

1. Setup the RAID array in the BIOS.
2. Begin XP installation, and press F6 when prompted.
3. Install the RAID drivers.
4. Partition the drive as you desire. (I prefer single partition setups personally)
5. Continue installing the OS.

Also, if you do decide to partition the drive, only create the C:\ partition during the initial setup and create all the other partitions later after Windows is installed. XP sometimes will install itself to drives other than C:\ if more than one partition of hard drive is present which will cause you some installation and program issues down the line.

You do not need to format the drives before configuring the RAID. That is a waste of time.

1. Setup the RAID array in the BIOS.
2. Begin XP installation, and press F6 when prompted.
3. Install the RAID drivers.
4. Partition the drive as you desire. (I prefer single partition setups personally)
5. Continue installing the OS.

Also, if you do decide to partition the drive, only create the C:\ partition during the initial setup and create all the other partitions later after Windows is installed. XP sometimes will install itself to drives other than C:\ if more than one partition of hard drive is present which will cause you some installation and program issues down the line.

ill add, that on some boards you only turn the RAID on in the bios then exit. the raid utility will then need to be access to setup the raid. its different for each board but its usually CTRL + something(I, E, etc).

ill add, that on some boards you only turn the RAID on in the bios then exit. the raid utility will then need to be access to setup the raid. its different for each board but its usually CTRL + something(I, E, etc).

True.

Thanks Dan_D, I recall from my last XP installation that the partitioning occurred during XP installation and not before, but I also recall having to format the drive prior as well. Maybe that was a SCSI thing? It's been 5 years though...

Back