new build, won't boot, very sad

gregory

n00b
motherboard: msi p35 platinum (socket 775)
cpu: intel e6750(sla9v) (socket 775)
power supply: cooler master 750w

i broke it down as far as i know possible, the motherboard is outside of the case on an anti-static surface, only the 24-pin board power, the 8-pin cpu power, the cpu fan, and the case's power switch jumper are connected

the cpu/cpu fan and 1 stick of ram in the first slot are installed

i hit the power switch on the front of the case, the cpu fan starts to spin-up, power shuts off, the whole thing takes about 1/2 second, very quick

any suggestions?

This has happened to me...twice.

Both times, it was a Heatsink problem. In both cases the Heatsink was not making much contact with the CPU. Thus, causing the CPU to get extremely hot, and the system to power off to prevent damage.

So, if you have debugged "Everything" as you claim, check and make sure your Heatsink is, indeed, seated correctly.

reset the cmos and give it another shot. i had to reset mine right out of the box when i got my mobo.

i had already tried clearing the cmos, my motherboard has a little button to make this simpler, anywho, i tried it again and got the same result --no boot

i reseated the heatsink/fan and again it would not boot, i even went as far as trying a different heatsink/fan, and still nothing

i'm really at a loss here as to what could be wrong, perhaps something simply is defective, but what? the motherboard, the cpu, perhaps even the power supply?

so how is intel about handling returns? i'm already past the retailers return policy.
do they have to get the old one before sending out the new one? is this going to take weeks?

i doubt intel is going to cross ship with you. I've never seen an DOA processor, mobo's, video cards, ram, seen it all come dead, but i find it highly unlikely its the processor, but i bet it takes a few weeks.

eat some pride and take it to a local PC shop, they can isolate the component for you, cost you a few pennies, but worth it if you don't have spares.

so how is intel about handling returns? i'm already past the retailers return policy.
do they have to get the old one before sending out the new one? is this going to take weeks?

You can always test the PSU in another box if you have on available. Anywho, without sounding rude, the lack of detailed information, I'd say it might just be your mobo that is just DoA. I know little about Intel returns as I have built 2 intel systems in my day, and both, thankfully, worked.

I'd search around their website then. If anything, like any delivery system, rush ordering more expensive shipping will determine if it is "going to take weeks" or days. I'd imagine if the part is just defective then they'd just ship out a new one 1-2 days after recieving your old one.

you could ... detach every component, more important the psu. and cmos don't reset it, remove the baterry, wait, then put it back. then put mobo + cpu/sink + 1 stick of ram, no hds or cds or video cards. and see what happens.

Back