Riddlinkidstoner

Supreme [H]ardness
Specs:

AMD X3 445
MSI 790X-G45
Kingston HyperX DDR3 4GB 1333
XFX ATI 5770
Corsair 600w

I went to Fry's earlier this week to pick up some parts for my friends system. I did some minor research before this trip and asked the sales associate for some advice. He recommended getting the MSI 790X-G45 plus the Kingston HyperX DDR3 1333 memory since it was only a few dollars more than the cheapest 4GB kit. I opted for it among some other things and went on my merry way home.

When I assembled the system it wouldn't post after removing the memory, swapping the CPU with a known working AMD cpu, removing the video card and reinstalling it, removing the hard drive, resetting the CMOS, reset the heatsink, etc everything I could possibly think of it still wouldn't post. I ruled it as a DOA motherboard and went back to Fry's to exchange the motherboard. I also exchanged the memory just in case because my other computer uses DDR2 so I couldn't swap that out to verify.

Upon assembling the computer once again, it still wouldn't post. Frustrated at this point I flip through the manual to see if I was missing something. I noticed the board states it only supports up to 1200 DDR3 memory.

So my question is that if I pick up some lower speed DDR3 to make the board post will I be able to change the BIOS settings to support the memory I currently have or should I go back to Fry's and kill the sales associate who recommended the two together?

I noticed the board states it only supports up to 1200 DDR3 memory.

So my question is that if I pick up some lower speed DDR3 to make the board post will I be able to change the BIOS settings to support the memory I currently have or should I go back to Fry's and kill the sales associate who recommended the two together?

You might as well return the DDR3 1333 RAM set and go for DDR3 1066 RAM. Since this is for a friend, I doubt you'll want to troubleshoot his system again should the motherboard one day just forgets all the settings you did to make it support that RAM in first place. Go for native support. And not to mention that it'll probably won't work anyway.

And that's why you don't listen to Fry's associates on their words alone. Can't believe how many of those Fry's associates that tries to recommend shitty Apevia PSUs to their customers.

And that's why you don't listen to Fry's associates on their words alone. Can't believe how many of those Fry's associates that tries to recommend shitty Apevia PSUs to their customers.

most make their recommendations based on what the daily/weekly/monthly commission item is, what's worse is that some companies hold contests to see who can sell the most junk and reward their employees for it. best advice is to never listen to a sales associate ever it's their job to get money out of you (I hated doing this work so much and doing it in the marin county area just made it worse, buncha fukkin' ignorant yuppies), do your research before heading out or put that smart phone to use.

in this case though ::shrug::, guess not much ya could really do throwing together a quick cheap build and not wanting to look too into parts, lol. is it possible that fry's got a bad batch of boards? lol

most make their recommendations based on what the daily/weekly/monthly commission item is, what's worse is that some companies hold contests to see who can sell the most junk and reward their employees for it. best advice is to never listen to a sales associate ever it's their job to get money out of you (I hated doing this work so much and doing it in the marin county area just made it worse, buncha fukkin' ignorant yuppies), do your research before heading out or put that smart phone to use.

in this case though ::shrug::, guess not much ya could really do throwing together a quick cheap build and not wanting to look too into parts, lol. is it possible that fry's got a bad batch of boards? lol

Thanks for the insight in Fry's sales practices!

Wouldn't be out of the question for a bad batch

Back