New Canon 5d3 Firmware

jonneymendoza

Supreme [H]ardness
New firmware for canon 5d3 is out and about.

officially out April 30

AFAIK, the following is what they are updating:

✔ Uncompressed HDMI Output Support
When shooting video, HDMI Output makes possible the recording of high-definition uncompressed video data (YCbCr 4:2:2, 8 bit) from the EOS 5D Mark III to an external recorder via the camera’s HDMI terminal.

✔ This enhanced capability facilitates the editing of video data with minimal image degradation for greater on-site workflow efficiency during motion picture and video productions.

✔ Video being captured can be displayed on an external monitor, enabling real-time, on-site monitoring of high-definition video during shooting.

✔ Improved AF Functionality – Even when the EOS 5D Mark III is equipped with an extender and lens making possible a maximum aperture of f/8, the firmware update supports AF employing the camera’s central cross-type points (currently compatible with maximum apertures up to f/5.6).

✔ This firmware update will allow users to take advantage of AF when shooting distant subjects, benefitting sports and nature photographers, particularly when using telephoto lenses.

Word on the street is that "Canon 5D Mark III firmware update will also come packed with several bug fixes. One of them will allow the camera to focus faster when using the Speedlight AF Assist Beam, while other details remain unknown for now".

http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php?topic=14354.30

Small issue with third party batterys

Just to report on the latest firmware 1.2.1 for 5D3, looks like it's no longer able to detect the 3rd party LP-E6 battery level anymore.

When I put my 3rd party LP-E6 (bought from eBay) into the camera, there's a warning screen that says:

Communication with Canon LP-E6 battery is Irregular. Continue to use this battery?

If I choose Cancel, the camera will turn off instantly. If I choose OK, the camera will turn on & run as normal, but the battery level will stay at 100% all the time & I can no longer register nor delete the serial number.

This is kinda bummer for me as I just bought 18 DSTE-branded LP-E6s & I'm expecting it to arrive next week. If the DSTE-branded LP-E6s can't show the battery level, I'll be very disappointed.

Anyone else have this problem as well?

attachment.php

Link to firmware

http://www.fileswap.com/dl/tHc7Wh9sU9/

Not tried it yet. need to buy a plug adapter as i lost my one :( my charger is from HK so no UK plug

Back