New card or wait?

///AMG

2[H]4U
Havent been gaming too much on PC lately and havent followed the news on graphics card either. But I did just buy a 34" 21:9 3440x1440 monitor and wanted to play some games on it like the Witcher 3 etc.

I have CF 290s but I really hate using CF because it rarely works correctly so this time around I am looking for a single card solution. Also looking to buy a 4k TV with 4:4:4 Chroma so the card has to support HDMI 2.0. I don't really care from which side just needs to play most games at either 4k or 3440x1440 at high settings or better.

My question is should I buy something like the 980 Ti now or wait? I am not in any rush to buy but if there's nothing coming out in the next 3 months then I think I can deal with buying the 980 Ti now because I would like to play some games during Christmas time as I am forced to use my 20 days of vacation left or lose it.

There has been zero information on the new cards release date. So purchasing a 980ti now would be fine. AMD is supposedly readying to ship the R9 Fury X2 in December, but that is a dual card and not what you're looking for.

I think the earliest we're looking at is probably the beginning of Q2 2016, but that's all speculation. There hasn't been any real speculation that there would be something earlier, so it would be a surprise to see something come out sooner.

I think you're going to be disappointed in any single card's ability to play modern games at 4k or UW 1440p at high settings. Even an overclocked 980ti is going to struggle to keep 60fps in a lot of modern games at those resolutions.

I think you're going to be disappointed in any single card's ability to play modern games at 4k or UW 1440p at high settings. Even an overclocked 980ti is going to struggle to keep 60fps in a lot of modern games at those resolutions.

Well thats pretty disappointing. Might as well just stick to my PS4 and Xbox One for the holidays then.

A 980ti will be able to do 1440p 60fps in just about every latest game I can imagine at max settings. Not even accounting for the 20-30% gain to be had by overclock.

But yeah, no current card will do 4k in newer titles alone. Although if you have to buy something now the 980ti is the obvious choice because you'll at least have HDMI 2.0.

I'd buy the GPU so you can play the latest games on your monitor, and then just put off buying the 4k HDTV until the better GPU's come out. I'm still sticking with my 1080p bravia for the same reasons. Besides, the more you wait the more the price will come down on 4k HDTV's anyways and by the time you have a GPU that can do 4k @ 60fps properly the higher end 4k HDTV's will be a lot cheaper.

Last edited:
Yeah, the 980ti is only capable of maxing out 1440p. You'll need two cards to go any higher with demanding games.

Might as well sit on the 290 cf. It will allow to max out games where it works, and play everything else at medium.

Back