New Cases and Cable Lengths

Kankykur7

Weaksauce
I am in the market for a new case with my new quad core build (like thousands of others here sorry for the redundancy) and i have everything now except for the case. The problem is i am looking at cases where the power supply is located at the bottom (p180/900/etc...) and with my P5K deluxe the 8 pin power connector is at the very top. Routing that connector over my 8800 isnt going to work and looking at the length on my PCP&C 750 i dont think it will make it behind the motherboard either. I would like to know if any of you have experiences with these certain parts and whether or not it will work. I would prefer not to have extension cables but in this situation where it becomes a deciding factor it only adds another ~$15 to the price.

Thanks!

I have a BadAxe2 motherboard and the 8-pin is at the very top behind the cpu, and I also have a case with the power supply at the bottom. I got a 12” ext. off eBay for cheap. Having the extension let’s you route stuff nice and tidy.

I have a p180, the updated one with the raised mobo tray to route wires underneath.

I also have a DS3 mobo that has the power connectors up top.

For the PSU, the Seasonic S12 550HT

The power cables to mobo reach perfectly, routed underneath the mobo tray.
A SATA power cable easily reaches the top DVD drive too.
had no problems routing the other power cables.

All the unused cables, I tucked on the sides of the PSU. I was quite pleased how the combo worked.

well thanks for that info guys, looks like ill have to try myself and see. I thought it was funny how the coolermaster cosmos case (on the [H] main page) now comes with that 8 pin extension cable for the exact issue that i was addressing here.(and i think other companies should follow this)

Back