New cheap spdif sound card option?

FraGGleR

Limp Gawd
http://cgi.ebay.com/ASUS-ACR-A6CH-S...oryZ3701QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the guy I bought my spdif bracket from for my Asus board. Just noticed that he has these cheap sound cards by Asus. Does anyone know if they work as a standalone card, or do they need to be used in conjunction with an Asus board? It looks like a normal pci card, but I am not the one to make that determination. If they work properly, then it becomes a much cheaper alternative to the Chaintech. Does anyone have any experience or opinions on it?

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
IIRC those cards need to be run in certain older Asus motherboards. I have no experience using that card.

A google search found this

That A6CH-ACR card is just for the A7N266-C and A7N266-E boards. It's a special card that handles the nForce output.

yeah, that's what most peopl euse, but it ends up beign about $30. The OP was hoping this new card would work for about $14.

Newegg have a card with optical spdif for $24 shipped link

Cheapest I could find in a quick search, though you can ghetto mod almost any mobo which has a spdif header if needed.

Too bad. I guess the Chaintech is still the default for those who don't have integrated spdif outs on their mobos.

FraGGleR said:
Too bad. I guess the Chaintech is still the default for those who don't have integrated spdif outs on their mobos.
The cmedia based cards are real easy to setup and work with. Some of them come with spdif in-out, and some also come with coaxial in-out. They often come under many brand names which can make them difficult to search for (sabrent, aopen, asound, diamond...and quite a few other brandnames).

Here's the 7.1 flavor for only $21 shipped: http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-C-Media-CMI...ryZ44982QQssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem though i picked up a few of the fully loaded 5.1 versions for around $7 shipped each (new), they came with spdif daughter cards and everything. Ebay gets loads of these cards, it just takes some patient searching.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
the chaintech av 710 is great. for $10, wouldn't you rather have something proven time and time again?

i mean, if you can't do $25 for a critical basic componant like sound, perhaps you should wait a bit on your build.

not trying to be a prick, just laying it out for you.

zv

My motherboard has spdif out integrated into it and works quite well. I was simply hoping to contribute to the forum so that new builders in need would have cheaper alternatives. Thanks for looking out for me.

FraGGleR said:
My motherboard has spdif out integrated into it and works quite well. I was simply hoping to contribute to the forum so that new builders in need would have cheaper alternatives. Thanks for looking out for me.
I am right there with you. If I can save $5 and get the same functionality, I'll do it. $5 here, $7 there. It adds up. Especially when you have a few of these around the hosue. I currently own 3 Chaintech cards and 1 Turtle beach. If I could have saved $5-7 on the first 3, the fourth would have been paid for.

Back