new comp, weird noise on startup

I'm new to building computers, just put together my comp which consists of:
antec sonata
chaintech vnf3-250
athlon 64 3000+
6800gt
and other parts that probably dont matter for this.

So I got everything hooked up and put together and I plug in the power to the computer and press the power button. All the fans start up fine, but nothing appears onscreen and immediately a loud, high pitched, constant "EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" sound comes on. What do you guys think could be the problem and how should I fix it? Thanks.

A constant high pitched beep is probably the CPU overheat alarm.
Try takeing the heatsink off and reseating it.
When its off check that it has been sitting flat on the CPU.

Luck.......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Tigerbiten said:
A constant high pitched beep is probably the CPU overheat alarm.
Try takeing the heatsink off and reseating it.
When its off check that it has been sitting flat on the CPU.

Luck.......... :D
u=Tigerbiten.gif

Thanks I'll try that.

Ok I tried reseating my zalman heatsink, no luck. I can't figure it out. The noise comes on as soon as the power is turned on, so i dont see how it could be overheating.

It sounds like your machine is overheating. Did you overtighten the heatsink? Maybe not enough air is passing through it. Also, this may sound strange, make sure your wires are out of the way and not keeping any of the fans from spinning. First thing to do is look inside while the machine is off. Make sure you know where all the fans are located. If you don't have a plexi-glass cover and can't see inside your machine, open it up. Move any wires out of the way and tuck them behind the motherboard or something. Tie wraps, etc. After this check, fire her up and see what's going on in there. If wires are in the way, shut her down, unplug the machine, hold the power button for about three seconds to let out any electricity and fix the problem.

Good Luck!

It's the video card.
It makes that sound when there's not enough power for the fans.

I read this somewhere about the new FXs.

T-nm said:
It's the video card.

Well crap. How am I supposed to fix this problem, is my only option buying a new psu?
I should add that I'm using the 380w antec truepower that came with my sonata.

edit: and I do leave hte side of the case open so i can see what is happening. I have 2 120mm case fans then the 90mm fan on the zalman hsf and also a fan on the 6800gt, and all of them seem to be working fine.

T-nm said:
It's the video card.

Thanks a lot, this did turn out to be the problem. I had stupidly plugged a "fan only" connector into my 6800gt.

There may also be a fan on your video card. Look closely at it and see if it's spinning. You may need to re-wire a few things. If you can trouble shoot inside your machine without messing things up, do it.
Although, your power supply may not be putting out enough power. 380Watts may not be enough for what your pushing on your system. I'm not too sure about that. I have a True550 550 Watt Power Supply. Mine cost me $107.50 from Newegg.com. You might have to bump it up a bit. I wish I had the answer to fix your system up. Keep posting and see what the other Forum members have to say first.

Good Luck!!!!

icehokplyr said:
There may also be a fan on your video card. Look closely at it and see if it's spinning. You may need to re-wire a few things. If you can trouble shoot inside your machine without messing things up, do it.
Although, your power supply may not be putting out enough power. 380Watts may not be enough for what your pushing on your system. I'm not too sure about that. I have a True550 550 Watt Power Supply. Mine cost me $107.50 from Newegg.com. You might have to bump it up a bit. I wish I had the answer to fix your system up. Keep posting and see what the other Forum members have to say first.

Good Luck!!!!
Thanks for the help, it was the video card. I had a fan only connector plugged into it instead of the normal 4 pin one.

i had the same problem. with my GeForce 4 Videocard. It ended up being the fans. glad you got it fixed

I'm glad you got it working. It's great to build our own systems and it's a good feeling after that first start up. Until something goes wrong....... :D

Back