New comparison of video encoding between x2 and single core

onetrueday

[H]ard|Gawd
First thing to remember is that they are almost clocked the same. I believe the winchester is clocked at 1.8 and the x2 3800 comes clocked at 2.0.

Here are my system specs:
gigabyte k8n nf4-4 mobo
2gigs geil pc3200 ram
ati radeon x800xl 256meg
adaptec 29160 scsi -
----seagate cheetah 15k 18gig
----36gig hitach 10k
200gig ata seagate
160gig ata seagate
120gig sata seagate
etc...

This is a 30gig video file capture via minidv and I'm converting it to a custom vbr mpeg2 file.

compare.jpg

On my first attempt, smp wasn't enabled with the x2.

that's an insane difference folks!

Ummm....I count a difference of 1 hour and 10 minutes. That's an incredible time difference. Those X2 cores are looking awesome!

Damn.

I do a lot of video work; this really interests me.

If only they weren't so expensive... :eek:

freeloader1969 said:
Ummm....I count a difference of 1 hour and 10 minutes. That's an incredible time difference. Those X2 cores are looking awesome!

O yeah, I'm really out of it today.

WOW
that speaks VOLUMES and the x2 3800+ aren't that expensive... i love seeing a real world, real user benchmark...

I wish there was a way for us to disable one of the cores so we could easily compare performance of a single core vs dual core at the same speed.

I am impress!!! I can't wait till the prices will go down...

burningrave101 said:
I wish there was a way for us to disable one of the cores so we could easily compare performance of a single core vs dual core at the same speed.

I believe the amd64 3000 was oc'ed to 2.0 (at the time) and the amd64 x2 was running at 2.3 (ish).

I could drop the x2 back to stock and rerun the test. I just dont see the extra 300mhz accounting for the insane difference.

burningrave101 said:
Just set the thread affinity to a single processor in Task Manager.

onetrueday said:
I believe the amd64 3000 was oc'ed to 2.0 (at the time) and the amd64 x2 was running at 2.3 (ish).

I could drop the x2 back to stock and rerun the test. I just dont see the extra 300mhz accounting for the insane difference.

No, i didn't mean that. I was talking about for my own personal tests because i only have an X2 now and i dont have a single core to compare the same test to.

rolo said:
Just set the thread affinity to a single processor in Task Manager.

Hmm, i guess that would work. I havn't tried that yet :).

Very nice... disableing SMP shows results in line with a single core operation. The X2 is a great tool for any MultiThread capiable program.... there will be no comparrison to single core results.

NickN said:
Damn.

I do a lot of video work; this really interests me.

If only they weren't so expensive... :eek:

It isn't as if the X2 has a monopoly on SMP...

Though it is a good pricepoint, you might be able to setup a mobile AXP system for less, it'd probably out do a decently clocked venice/san diego in multithreaded encoding.

Back