New Computer built but won't show anything on my Moniter HELP please !!

misterlin

n00b
i press the Power Button
all fans/hdd/cdrw spins up with video card fan spinning too

on my moniter i get nothing but "PLEASE CHECK SIGNAL CABLE"

the thing is.. it worked like 1 week ago but i had to wait a week for my "legit" xp cd .. i failed trying to install a torrented xp pro.

could it be the bios ? should i reset the cmos ?

HELP !!!

ok, let me get this straight - you installed a bad and illegit copy of XP - and now it dont work -
uh, shock, and . . . oh yeah, surprise. . . May I suggest to all not to do that?
Bad thing is Bit torrent and its knock offs are completely tracible - tho I dont think Microsoft will be hitting people with lawsuits like the RIAA -tho they have been thinking about it. . .
But I digress, and wonder if I should be helping you considering . . . So, IF you are legit now - format & install your legit copy of windoze. (as a torrent copy prolly is malware, virus, and adware happy.)
Do a cmos clear
IF that does not work - turn off computer & unplug monitor and power supply - pull out the vid card - do a boot without the vid card in the computer (dont worry that should not harm anything) turn computer back off & disconnect power again, then plug the card back in and plug in the monitor - sometimes this works (I have used this trick on both ati & nvidia cards) do make sure its properly seated and powered as a loose power cable to teh newer cards will give you an error like this.
make sure the cable to the monitor is properly seated (at both ends if it is one that comes off the monitor - if it is one of those - flip it over re-install the cable)
give us a bit more info - such as vid card, monitor and other system specs.
Hopefully lesson learned ;)

HvyMtl said:
ok, let me get this straight - you installed a bad and illegit copy of XP - and now it dont work -
uh, shock, and . . . oh yeah, surprise. . . May I suggest to all not to do that?
Bad thing is Bit torrent and its knock offs are completely tracible - tho I dont think Microsoft will be hitting people with lawsuits like the RIAA -tho they have been thinking about it. . .
But I digress, and wonder if I should be helping you considering . . . So, IF you are legit now - format & install your legit copy of windoze. (as a torrent copy prolly is malware, virus, and adware happy.)
Do a cmos clear
IF that does not work - turn off computer & unplug monitor and power supply - pull out the vid card - do a boot without the vid card in the computer (dont worry that should not harm anything) turn computer back off & disconnect power again, then plug the card back in and plug in the monitor - sometimes this works (I have used this trick on both ati & nvidia cards) do make sure its properly seated and powered as a loose power cable to teh newer cards will give you an error like this.
make sure the cable to the monitor is properly seated (at both ends if it is one that comes off the monitor - if it is one of those - flip it over re-install the cable)
give us a bit more info - such as vid card, monitor and other system specs.
Hopefully lesson learned ;)

yes i have learned alot building this setup :eek:

dfi landparty nforce 3
amd 64 s.754 3000+
WD 80 gig 7200 rpm IDE
xfx 6600gt
thermaltake pure power 420W
Geil Value Ram pc3200 512x2
LiteOn CdRw

is it common for the "no boot" situation to be fixed by clearing the CMOS?

b/c i certainly think it's a bios problem b/c before this everything powered up and i was in bios and the whole 9 yards...

the part where i got stuck was the serial key identification ... since i had none.. i restarted multiple times .. trying to somehow override that step .. failure indeed

but do you think this "no boot" is caused by my multiple restarts at xp setup .. ?

So, you turn it on and don't get any screen at all? No bios or system tests? Then that would not be related to your pirated XP. Clear CMOS, remove all cards except video and one stick of known good ram, reseat video card, check that heatsink is seated correctly, and try a different power supply. If none of those work, get back to us.

Seriously misterlin, don't come here thinking that "legit" is fine by people here. I'm sure there are a lot of people here with, umm, "legit" copies of windows, but that kind of thing is not cool here. You think the mods are gonna be happy about that? Don't think so, friend. Advice: GET A LEGAL COPY NOW :mad: I'm not sure about others, but me seeing you here using an illegal copy of windows just pisses me off. People work hard and dish out hard earned cash for things you are taking for granted and causing price rises on, alrighty? Now, if I'm wrong, and you really are using a legit copy, I apologize...but how you stated "legit" is really aggrivating. :mad:

EDIT: Re-read you post and now understand that you are using a legit copy....hope it stays that way. Could this be...Karma???? :eek:

Come on guys he may be a pirate but that is no reason not to help him out. If a person comes into an ER with a heroin overdose they don't refuse them help just cause they are a drug addict. Let him know it is wrong but his issue really does not seem related to a pirated XP copy.

dariob said:
Come on guys he may be a pirate but that is no reason not to help him out. If a person comes into an ER with a heroin overdose they don't refuse them help just cause they are a drug addict. Let him know it is wrong but his issue really does not seem related to a pirated XP copy.
But those addicts aren't causing heroin prices to rise, are they??? :p LOL His issue isn't related the pirated copy, but I suspect it may be karma. Nonetheless, at least he snagged a legit copy. This may sound bad, but the best thing to do is not even mention if you have a pirated copy (if you have one) because people will be reluctant to help you, original poster. Just hope the lesson was learned. See, doesnt it feel good to have a nice, fresh legit copy of windows? ;) Well, aside from your problem, that is.

guys at first i used the pirated xp PRO

newegg delivered xp HOME 3 days ago..

this problem started on that day

before i had both xp's.. i was able to go into bios and check stuff out but could not get the system started b/c of no xp cd

right when i got the xp HOME.. i get "PLEASE CHECK SIGNAL CABLE" and the moniter shuts off after 5 seconds...

this never happened before.. i didn't touch any hardware ..

i did send my xfx 6600gt back to newegg for a refund..

"PLEASE CHECK SIGNAL CABLE" = video card problem right ?

It is not necessarily a video card problem. Please follow advice in my previous post and get back to us.

as soon as i get my new card from newegg i will update

hopefully it was just the videocard :(

Ok, the "please check signal - cable" usually means vid card, monitor cable, or monitor. Usually. I say usually because of what you did with the multiple attempts to reboot to get around the windows cd request - that was not good on the system - and can do odd things. Multiple reboots in seccession can corrupt your bios, cause errors with the hard drive, corrupt the video card bios (tho they seem to be a bit more resistant to that than motherboards), and depending on how you shut down the system (hard switch turn off via power supply - rather than say software motherboard switch) can electircally "shock" the system, causing damage to the motherboard, vid card, power supply, hard drive, memory, etc.

After you get your new vid card - BEFORE you install it - boot the system - without the hard drive/cd rom drives connected as well - let the fans spin up etc. then shut it down (preferably with software "off" button you attach to the motherboard) then put the vid card in and restart -
IF you can get past the "please check signal cable" and get in congrats - but still do a bios clear as this will prevent future issues.
IF you CANNOT get past the check signal stuff - then try a different monitor - double check your monitor cable to make sure there are not any pins in the connector bent/broken (If that happened - you will have to have your monitor repaired.)
Get back to us once the vid card arrives.
And DONT bit torrent anything else, ok?

when i rebooted.. i pressed the power button and waited 5 seconds for it shutdown ..

so it's more likely have been the videocard b/c my moniter is working great on my other system which i am using right now...

so i'm guessing the whole multiple restarts during the serial key process of xp installation somehow screwed up the bios..

i will reset the CMOS jumper before i install the new card

what will i hear when i boot the sytem up with no video card ?

if your system has a speaker on board or connected a series of beeps may occur. you should hear the fans run up.
That should be tried as a last resort thing - tho for some reason, I have fixed like a 3-4 out of all the ones I have fixed over the years by that trick - oddly enough it works real well with creative sound cards (leave them in - error - take em out - boot - shut down- put them back in everything normal - go figure)

when i pressed the power button.. everything fired up fans/hdd/cdrw/mobo LED's

but it wouldn't post beyond that...

it posted fine before my failed attempt..

I have all the componets for my new computer put together. I have tried reseting CMOS and it doesn't work. And no not using DLed XP. When i first tried to boot up my computer, the monitor says "video cable connected'?" Never booted up before showing the BIOS. Dont know what to do to fix it. Never booted up before showing the BIOS.
PLEASE HELP!!!!!
AMD 64 S939 3200+
Asus A8V-E Deluxe
Asus N6600gt
1gb(2*512mb) ddr3200 corsair value ram
2 CD-R on Pri IDE
1 DVD on Sec IDE
80gb Hitachi SATA

I put my computer together, tried 2 different video cards, this was the first boot up and nothing appeared. Didnt even get to the BIOS to install the OS yet. I need to get to the BIOS so i can do stuff.... PLEASE HELP!!! ~using crappy comp right now~:(

Dead video card?
Dead MB?
Power supply weak?
Only things I can think of if you cleared the CMOS.

Does it go further without the video card in? If the mobo has onboard video, try booting, installing the OS, THENinstall the video card and drivers...I install any extra cards after I install the OS. Just to be safer, I dunno, just a habit.

Back