New DangerDen Blocks

Erasmus354

[H]F Junkie
.... kindof (www.dangerden.com)

DangerDen has released some "new" CPU and Chipset blocks. They basically seem to be their old designs refreshed with the all-the-rage pin grid matrix. Nothing too revolutionary, but it should provide a much needed shot in the arm to their aging TDX. Now for some pics!

First the new MC-TDX

DD1.jpg

DD2.jpg

DD3.jpg

And now for the new MCP series chipset block. They have a bunch of different versions with different mounting plates for different boards.

DD4.jpg

DD5.jpg

Looks cheap like most DD products..... Wonder when they are going to come up with an original idea?

Yeah, DD used to be a great company IMO... But their RnD seems to copy many other companies... good and bad. That says nothing for the company. That's basically a Dtek Fuzion with an acetal top, and a less optimal flow orientation.

You can't exactly knock DD too much for using a pin grid. That is pretty much what every block these days uses in some form or another. You would have to knock everyone for copying the Swiftech MCW5000/6000 series. It is disappointing that its not a new idea, but it isn't exactly copying when EVERYONE else is doing it too.

You can't exactly knock DD too much for using a pin grid. That is pretty much what every block these days uses in some form or another. You would have to knock everyone for copying the Swiftech MCW5000/6000 series. It is disappointing that its not a new idea, but it isn't exactly copying when EVERYONE else is doing it too.
Exactly. Just to be picky, technically Swiftech reuses the 5000 series' base for all Apogee blocks. The 6000 series has regular pins (like the FuZion/MC-TDX), which you could say Swiftech "stole" from Hoot and even Joe Citarella and other early watersink creators/modifiers, as pointed out on the XS thread.

Did DD copy the FuZion? For the contact base, certianly. I really don't think they shoukd be bashed so much though - it's not incredibly innovative, but this thing hasn't been put on any testbed yet either. If it has the same base as a FuZion, I'd hope it would perform similarly to one as well. The big thing that Nikhsub pointed out is that due to the performance necessity of bowing for 775 procs, if the MC-TDX can't be bowed (and doesn't show anything that would make up for that), it won't perform as well for enthusiasts. Especially now that GTXs (and GTs as well iirc) come bowed out of the factory, and now that D-Tek's come up with their own nozzles and a method to bow it, the MC-TDX is a tough sell for DD. It's better than the original TDX for multi core procs for sure, but not much else.

Right, I saw that graph... But the only data available was for both nozzled and bowed... Since bowing has a huge impact on the GTX, I can only assume it's making up a fair portion of the fuzion's gain as well.

Have any data for nozzles only?

That's not the only issue though. The Dtek Fuzion uses a multi-layer design to increase flow to all parts of the block equally. It has a top that works with almost every socket... And it doesn't use Acrylic...

That's not the only issue though. The Dtek Fuzion uses a multi-layer design to increase flow to all parts of the block equally. It has a top that works with almost every socket... And it doesn't use Acrylic...

Hey I never said the DD design was good, just that people have no basis to criticize them for moving to a pin grid design...just like people shouldn't yell about AquaComputer copying DangerDen and EK by making *gasp* copper full cover blocks! ZOMG COPY CATS!!!11!!!1!!

Right, I saw that graph... But the only data available was for both nozzled and bowed... Since bowing has a huge impact on the GTX, I can only assume it's making up a fair portion of the fuzion's gain as well.
The Fuzion is a tricky beast with nozzles... I discovered this quite on accident. At first, I made my OWN nozzle out of a 1/4" swifech barb... the block performed very well but was too restrictive, the opening was about 4mm or so, here is a pic of the very first nozzle for the fuziion:

nozzleintop1.jpg

Quite crude but as you can see, there is no where for the water to go but THROUGH that nozzle. Now, about a month after that Danny made some prototype nozzles for me to check out:

45milinstall2.jpg

Now, I originally tested those without an oring to seal the top and mid plate and during that testing the results were worse than without a nozzle! I had a theory that water was escaping between the top and mid plate without ever going to the base, this 'leakage' was even worse with the nozzle due to the increased restriction. So this is when I decided to place an o-ring between the top and mid plate. My intention was NOT to further bow the block, and I didn't realize it had been further bowed until after testing. To cut the story short, the additional 'bowing' really doesn't make the block perform better. After i notice the bow i retested the fuzion with ONLY the oring (and the greater bow) and saw ~1C better than a stock fuzion. This is why D-tek now supplies the gasket to seal the top and mid plate, but this gasket does not induce more of a bow.

nice to see they are moving in the right direction might give it a try.

Thanks Nikhsub, I appreciate the input, as always :D.

I'll pick up a set next time I make an order maybe.

Put both the TDX block and the nb block on my maximus formula...definite drop in temps. Too bad I did a mostly completely new build...I can say this, the new block cools as well as the old block did using the reference below...

new build with a q6600g0 @ 3.4 on a maximus formula se using mc-tdx and mcp chipset block 3/8" tubing
shows same idle temps and lower load temps as
old build e6700 o/c'd mildly to 3.2 on a badaxe2 using old tdx and maze4 1/2" tubing

Actually I came up with the nozzle and the bowing method for the fuzion :)
But of course ;) It just took a while for them to mass produce it and make it available, after someone else could prove it would be beneficial and profitable.

Now that I think of it, upgrading and changing accelerator plates was one of the great things about the TDX/RBX. Sure, like everyone else they were copying Cathar's WW (especially the RBX), but at least they have enthusiasts something to play with. With the standardized barb to pin positioning on the MC-TDX, modifications are gone for good.

I just pulled the trigger on the new mc-tdx to go along with my new wc kit.. should be here next week.. I am so looking forward to being back on h2o. wewt!

Back