New Desk

Hilmarhd

Weaksauce
Hello, I've been working on a new desk for about 3 days now and just wanted to pop a little picture in and ask what you think?

It's far from finished from what I think, but I'm not sure what I can add to it, and please tell me what's good about it and what's bad!

desk.jpg

I like the simplicity and cantilevering, but the desk overall wouldn't quite satisfy my criteria. I would need much deeper deskspace to rest my arms, and because a deeper desk means more legroom. I also like to be centered to my monitors.

Are there two monitor shelves and tower locations because two people will be using the desk, or is one a workstation and one a gaming system?

I would do away with the curves. They're aesthetically pleasing, but because I rest my arms on the desk, usually with my elbows partially off the edge, the normal edges would be uncomfortable. Of course, your needs likely differ.

I really like the meshed wall by the tower. That's pretty clever (and practical).

I would suggest holes in the main surface for cables, at least 3" in diameter, to feed things like DVI plus and power cables through. I would also add a cable tray type system to the lower shelf (below the main surface, against the wall) to run network cables, etc. I would add a support on the right hand side, as well, for structural support. Looks pretty sweet, though.

Also keep in mind the devices you use. Cell phone, PDA, mp3 player, etc. You could build or incorporate a convenient charging station/area, and route charging cables to the back in a subtle fashion.

For something this permanent I would suggest a slight redo just to accommodate the future of either a larger monitor or to allow multiple monitors should you desire something of that nature in the future. If you have no interest in ever owning a 30" or multiple monitors, then with the advice of the others I would say this is a good desk.

Added a shelf to the right corner, extra space under the table for keyboards and mouses, and a little box for pretty much whatever probably a DVD since there's going to be a TV in the middle, anyway here are the pics:

desk1.jpg

desk2.jpg

Why not make the monitor shelving the same height going across that side? Seems like the open space between the two is weird....maybe it's just me. Also, would allow more movement of the monitors if needed in the future.

Too many different shapes. Do you like not having your monitor directly in front of your keyboard? I would rather it be directly in front of me. The shelf on the side wall seems pointless to me. I am not sure about the raised computer in the corner either I would put both computers in the same place. That could open up the corner for a door to storage, or shelves. The right wall could house the receiver and any other electronics. These are just my opinions, its your desk.

Nice set up. I need to learn how to use google sketch. Btw when people use google sketch to make pc cases, do they have a template to do it with or no? anyways sorry for using your thread OP. You should have something to hide your wires, so it looks clean.

Thanks,
Mark

looks awesome!!!

The only thing i would do, is make the monitor stand/shelves a little bigger in case you ever decide to use 2 monitors for 1 PC right next to each other. Maybe even run the monitor stand thing all the way across the desk

Should have mentioned this earlier. The position of the monitors is just random, they'll probably be put right in front of the keyboards.

And the reason for the space between the monitors is because there's a huge painting on the wall, and if I put a shelf across the table it's gonna cut into it.;)

Personally, I have two large desks and it just gives me room for clutter. As long as you can keep it organized you're good. As mentioned, I would add a "wrap-around" shelf (metal wire or mesh) on the bottom of the desk to keep wires hidden and a place to keep your power bars:

Code:

I know, did it for the monitors:D Although I couldn't find the cases, doesn't matter though.

Having built my own desk in the not-too-distant past, here are my suggestions:

--Have outlets available on the top of the desk. I can't tell you how many times I've needed outlets and have had to climb underneath the desk.
--The cable tray idea is great--I did it on mine and it's a life-saver
--There is no such thing as "too many shelves"
--I don't know what your decor/tastes are like, but MDF is cheap and very stiff, and very easy to work.
--The curves look good, but they will take longer than nice straight edges. If the extra time isn't an issue, go for it.
--My desk is 27" deep (from the outlets, it looks like you're in Europe, so that's about 700mm). I wouldn't build a desk any shallower than that.
--Make sure you have enough supports for the desk. Chances are good that you'll have more than two computers with monitors on the desk--think books, CDs, etc. Build it strong enough that you can stand on it with no worries.
--Consider including a dedicated place for your Cable/DSL modem, wireless router, and whatever other miscellaneous equipment in a location that allows easy access.
--Allow space for a third person to sit, say, with a laptop. I find myself wishing for such a space quite often.

All that being said, I really like the "floating" desk look. Good luck!

For ultimate neatness you could intergrate a usb hub, headphone/mic jacks, firewire and esata into the desk so those often used perhipials can just be plugged straight into the desk ;-)

Also are you sure you will never need draws or a filing cabnet in the future? Having it all intergrated would be a nice finish.

I already have 2 filing cabinets in the room, that fit exactly under the desk I'm going to build.

I think I'm about done with the sketches..

Desk-WEB.jpg

-The only problem now is that Iceland isn't exactly the best place to live in when it comes to finances and just money basically...

So this project will probably be put on hold for a little while, I'll see what I´ll do next week.

How much do you expect this desk to cost you?

/Mandatory 10k desk reference satisfied. :p

Looks like a great setup. Probably something I should do too to organize everything.

3/4" MDF costs around $40 per sheet here. I don't believe it would be too expensive to build.

Your corner station is too close to the other desk. You will constantly be hitting the desktop with your chair when you back up to get out of that station. I would have no less than 12" to the side of the keyboard for the mouse pad area. I have 12" and it still feels cramped a bit, but I only have a 24" deep top. If I had space I would have gone with a 30" deep top. I would go no less than 30" on a keyboard tray if you are putting the mouse on it as well. That will still limit you to normal sized keyboards no G15 or Cyborgs in that amount of space. I have 36" of space under each of my stations at my desk for my legs and I would want absolutely no less space. Makes it easy to swivel around and out of the station without having to back completely out of the desk. You left station is very cramped with the tower below the desk. I guess its all up to your own preferences, but just giving you some ergonomic advice in my eyes.

Subscribed. I've been wanting to build a desk like this for a long time. I just need to get a house first :). Good luck with this; I'll be checking back regularly.

I like the design, looks amazing. I have the ability and imagination to draw up my own desk, unfortunately I lack any ability when it comes to building things that aren't computers. Definitely looking forward to seeing a finished product.

How much do you expect this desk to cost you?

/Mandatory 10k desk reference satisfied. :p

Looks like a great setup. Probably something I should do too to organize everything.

OT:
I haven't posted / been here in ages... Is that 10k desk thing still going around?? I remember that thread, it was hilarious.

Seems like money is not going to be a problem:D I'll probably start this project close to next month;)

Seems like money is not going to be a problem:D I'll probably start this project close to next month;)

It's a nice looking setup. One suggestion I have is to make the keyboard drawers as wide as possible. I like to place the mouse directly beside my KB when I'm gaming and most pre-fab trays are too narrow. Also, reinforce the tray.

Ah, one other thing. If you have a router (or borrow one), get a 3/4" roundover bit and go over the entire front edge of the desk. You'll thank me later.

Back