New Display needed

Xtek

n00b
So I have some crappy ProView 22" LCD Monitor I bought a while ago that has served me well. However recently it started showing all white unless I let it warm up first. Figured it's about time I just get a new, modern monitor.

I'd really like to get a monitor 24" or up preferably Samsung. I really like their styling and their OSD setup. However I'd be willing to go with another brand.

I'll be using the monitor mainly for programming/web surfing but I do game in modern games as well. (Starcraft 2, COD:MW2, etc).

After some research I've narrowed it down to 3 models.

1. Samsung XL2370 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001380
- I really like LED
- low MS response

2. Samsung P2770FH http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001431
- 27" size is great
- 1ms response
- wish it were LED

3. Asus VE278Q http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236103
- 27" + LED = awesome
- It's new, not sure about Asus brand/quality

I've started to see hints at TN panel, PVA, IPS... not sure what all of this means for me in the end or what these monitors are.

Any feedback and/or recommendations would be great.

Thanks.

I really cant suggest much when it comes to a TN panel.... if you have never had anything but a crt or a TN panel then may not know the difference but when you move into an IPS panel and above its like night and day... but to get that kind of quality its gonna cost about $400+ bucks.

Do some research before you dive into a $250-$300 dollar TN panel cause for the extra money moving up to an IPS is light years better.

I recently came from a Dell PVA Panel and just purchased a new HP IPS panel..... I tried buying a TN panel (I bought the 27" Asus you are looking at) but the picture quality, viewing angles and colors were horrible.

Let em know if you are wanting to explore your options I will help you out as much as I can.

I'd like to keep cost down below $400 if possible so I guess I'll be sticking with TN Panels.

So knowing that do you have any suggestions? I just really wish Samsung made a 27" LED.

I'd like to keep cost down below $400 if possible so I guess I'll be sticking with TN Panels.

So knowing that do you have any suggestions? I just really wish Samsung made a 27" LED.

Before you think about the TN you can get an HP ZR24w for $388 shipped! Thats under 400.....

I have it and it cant be beat for the price.

As far as recommending a TN panel if for some reason you dont want to go this route I really cant suggest much as I have only had PVA and IPS panels. I did try and buy the Asus 27" TN panel after my Dell broke before I bought this HP and it was Horrible!!! Of course I am coming a Dell Ultrasharp so anything TN is gonna look like crap when you have had a premium panel in the past.

Not sure how picky you are but you wont get any good feedback from most users on this forums when it comes to a TN panel.

I being an owner of the VE278Q would highly recommend that model. It has been pretty stellar of a performer. I am very happy with my purchase. The back light bleed is very minimal. I do not see any ghosting on the monitor. My only real complaint of the monitor is the placement of the OSD controls and that when switching sources you have to go through all the inputs.

I can't bang with 1920x1080 after I went to 1920x1200. However from that list I would get the ASUS.

honestly, if you're using this for work (especially a lot of text and/or graphics) I would seriously recommend going with a higher quality IPS panel. TN's have their place (gaming and crap) but I wouldn't even consider one for what you're looking to do with it.

Thanks so much for the feedback.

I think however that since my work is mostly with text at the non-native resolution that getting an IPS wouldn't be worth it for me. I run at a non-native resolution due to the fact that I have poor eyesight.

So I think I'm stuck deciding between the 27" Asus LED and the 27" Samsung LCD.

If Samsung is what you like then get a Samsung, the last thing you want to do is have to stare a monitor everyday and hate yourself for not buying a Samsung!

Back