New Duallie:: Asus k8n-dre

IffY

Weaksauce
just wondering if anyone knows anything about this board yet. i found it on the asus website, but cant seem to find any info anywhere else about it. only a couple places online seem to be selling it. i have 2x246 c0 stepping opts sitting on my desk for the past few months. im starting to build my first duallie and am avidly researching mobos. any help would be greatly appreciated... :D

Specs on the board can be found here.

http://www.excaliberpc.com/ASUS_K8N-DRE_Dual_Opteron_Motherboard/K8N-DRE/partinfo-id-555417.html

Picture here. http://support.enlightcorp.com.tw/ftp/MB-List/ASUS/ASUS-K8N-DRE.jpg

Looks like it was intended for rackmount use primarily. Lots of wasted space. I think there are better models to choose from. Unless you specifically need a rackmount 1U chassis.

No SLi support, which would take it out of the running for me. But it has pretty much everything else you could want or need. Personally I recommend the Tyan K8WE. Although I do wish that Asus or someone would release a dual Opteron board, that supports SLi and NUMA that would allow me to overclock.

woops, i actually did see both of those already. i however didnt realize no sli support though. i guess the tyan is the way to go then, thnx fragalot.

IffY said:
woops, i actually did see both of those already. i however didnt realize no sli support though. i guess the tyan is the way to go then, thnx fragalot.

I know Supermicro is comming out with a dual Opteron motherboard solution that supports SLi. That's worth looking into as well. I couldn't find anything on it on Supermicro's site, but I've seen the announcements before.

On another note I really like my Tyan K8WE.

Supermicro's is unofficially out.
The forums over at 2cpu.com have a whole thread dedicated to it and the features/issues.

Order said:
Supermicro's is unofficially out.
The forums over at 2cpu.com have a whole thread dedicated to it and the features/issues.

Well just about every motherboard has some issues. I only had one very minor issue with my Tyan board. It was a problem with the onboard NIC's when two 7800GTX's were installed. A BIOS update fixed it.

Oh definately, I wasn't insinuating that it had many problems at all, just the fact that there was a thread about it if anyone wanted info.

What I'd really like to see is Asus and other companies get on the Opteron bandwaggon and give us some overclockable boards. Supermicro and Tyan will not do that.

Back