New DVD Burner no longer showing up in BIOS. Motherboard dying?

therat

Limp Gawd
I have a Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3R-B3 motherboard. I have the U1e bios. I have an SSD and a 2GB WD SATA 3 HD on the4 2 x Intel SATA 3 Controllers and 1 x 1.5GB WD SATA 2 HD plus 1 x LG Blu-Ray writer and a new Pioneer DVR-220L DVD writer on the other 3 SATA 2 controller. The remaining SATA slot is used for an external eSATA drive.

The BIOS is set to AHCI mode. All SATA ports are set to hot plug in BIOS.

About a month ago my then DVD Writer - a Pioneer DVR-216 - suddenly started to intermittently disappear from my boot screen until it became too frequent to be trusted so last week I bought the new DVR-220 and plugged it in the same SATA port. It worked perfectly for a week so I assumed the old DVD writer had died.

Today when I booted up my computer it failed to detect the new DVD writer. I tried several reboots, disconnecting the power point for half an hour and booting up, no change.

I find it hard to believe this new burner has died as well.

Is the SATA port on my motherboard or the motherboard itself dying?

Any suggestions please?

I used to have a problem with a cheap SATA cable that would cause my boot hard drive to disappear randomly. I would have to unplug the cable and reconnect it to get it to work again. Then it would do it again a couple days or weeks later. I finally bought a latching cable and never had that problem again.

I inadvertantly gave the same problematic cable to a friend when I built him a computer, and he too had the exact same issues I did until I gave him another cable.

Thanks for the advice. I will change the cable and report back. Does seem strange that the cable and original dvd writer would both work perfectly on this board for 18 months then suddenly the cable becomes faulty.

Anyway will try a new cable.

cheers

Well I tried new cables but no change. as an experiment I disabled 'hot plug' for that SATA port and so far so good. Burner has worked every time i have booted up. Just hope it lasts.

Back