New Feature in AMD 16.3.2 Drivers : Quick Response Queue (QRQ)

Yakk

Supreme [H]ardness
Very interesting read over at TechReport about a new feature AMD is introducing with these drivers QRQ which works hand-in-hand with Async! Basically more flexibility and making the ACE units not only able to operate out-of-order, but also user programmable!

It was built for VR, but I can see developers using this to smooth out frame rates in DX12 on regular displays. Good times!

Wow, its like the late 90's all over again. Its definitely an interesting time to see all the players pushing new and sometimes differing visions of next gen graphics programming.

The DX9 and DX10/11 era's offered some amazing HW competition but it was a snooze-fest on the API front.

It's an ACE with a high priority set. And yeah it'd be interesting if this was applicable to non-VR games as well.

Well, seems QRQ piqued the curiosity of Dan Baker over at Oxide already!

Dan Baker ‏@dankbaker
@jkampman_tr @GFXChipTweeter @AMDRadeon I think it would be useful to tweak the priorities on the compute queues for other reasons to.

Dan Baker ‏@dankbaker
@jkampman_tr @GFXChipTweeter @AMDRadeon I bet we could get another 3-5% perf on GCN by tuning the priorities a little bit.

And a linky

Looking like Dan Baker at Oxide is already thinking of using QRQ outside of VR.

That would be really neat if the Oxide guys could include QRQ optimizations so quickly! AoTS is releasing March 31st!

Well, seems QRQ piqued the curiosity of Dan Baker over at Oxide already!

And a linky

Looking like Dan Baker at Oxide is already thinking of using QRQ outside of VR.

That would be really neat if the Oxide guys could include QRQ optimizations so quickly! AoTS is releasing March 31st!
I'm not sure he really cares about QRQ, although it might be beneficial for AOTS since depth doesn't really change. I think he just wants high/low priority jobs. So a background task can fill gaps but not otherwise interfere with the main task. ACEs I believe have 4 priority levels and are apparently programmable, but the capability wasn't enumerated in DX12 to the best of my knowledge. Might be a Vulkan feature.

Back