New Firefox Beta Even Faster Than FF3

HardOCP News

[H] News
It’s not like Firefox users need another reason to grab the latest build but, according to this article, the first 3.1 beta is supposedly the fastest Firefox yet.

Don't take my word for it, though. Using the SunSpider JavaScript Benchmark test, Firefox 3.1 beta 1 completed the test in 2787.6 milliseconds--about twice as fast as the current stable release, Firefox 3.0.3, which clocked in at 5446.6 ms.

Impressive. It's certainly good to see such massive improvements in JavaScript performance, and from Mozilla to boot!

Your move, Google.

ff3.01 3913.2ms +/- 0.7% don't know how they came up whit twice as fast...but still its a lite faster

I've been playing around with the beta since yesterday. I haven't noticed any significant speed increase, but I do like the new ctrl-tab.

so have they truly fixed the memory leak problem yet? Currently Using FF3 with 3 tabs open (Gmail, HardOCP, and this forum page) and it's using 120MB of ram.

so have they truly fixed the memory leak problem yet? Currently Using FF3 with 3 tabs open (Gmail, HardOCP, and this forum page) and it's using 120MB of ram.

I opened the same pages with the Beta, and I"m using 85mb of RAM...
As for the speed test, I got about 2300 from a previous (with the 3.03) score of 4300

Impressive. It's certainly good to see such massive improvements in JavaScript performance, and from Mozilla to boot!

Your move, Google.

Uh... my Chrome 0.2.149.30 finishes the test in 1691ms.

If Chrome had an ad blocker, there'd be very little I need Firefox for. Firefox does seem to be friendlier to my 3 year old laptop at home, though.

FF 3.1b2pre Build ID: 20081015032107

about:config options that enable TraceMonkey
javascript.options.jit.content = true
javascript.options.jit.chrome = true

Benchmark Score
1562.8ms +/- 1.2%

I'm running 3.1 beta-1 here:

Total: 1942.6ms +/- 14.7%

My quadcore was pegged when I ran the test, probably why the confidence margin is so high.

I only enabled: javascript.options.jit.content = true

I find myself using Chrome more and more. If it had an Adblocker, and an IE Tab, I'd be using it exclusively.

if only google takes off the retarded "google updater and what not bs crap" id be using chrome. but that thing is like embedded to the damn program, and yes i know you can remove it but still it is supposed to be clean..<3 firefox for keeping it clean.

My first posted results were from work

Here is from home - FF3.1b2pre Build ID: 20081014032121

929.0ms +/- 6.4%

It’s not like Firefox users need another reason to grab the latest build but, according to this article, the first 3.1 beta is supposedly the fastest Firefox yet.

I can confirm that my 1Mbit DSL all of a sudden turned into a 3Mbit DSL just by using FireFox! Halleluhja!

Back