New Gamer

Boyo

Gawd
Have a new rig and good internet connection and I am looking for some good FPS games. I am playing COD4:MW1 and I love the multiplayer game. Any other good games people can recommend that I might like? I am thinking of getting BF:BC2, but I am still unsure. Thanks for any suggestions.

Bad Company 2 is really fun. I for one like the multiplayer way better than any of MW games. You should get it, especially now thats its only 30 bucks. UT3 is pretty fun, but there aren't a whole lot of people playing that one now days.

You owe it to yourself to get BC2. I also highly recommend Team Fortress 2.

Also give Crysis and Metro 2033 a shot if you want to stress the new system.

Not trying to thread crap (so I will:p) but my opinion is TF2 is very hard to have fun alone. TF2 can be a blast with 3 or 4 friends on the same team.

Left 4 Dead 1&2 again are awesome fun with friends, highly frustrating alone. Versus mode is serious, 75% of the people playing are extremely good.

MW2 multi is pretty similar compared to the first. I suggest picking it up after the price drops.

BC2 is decent if you put in the time to learn the game fully. Takes a lot of time if you have never played a battle field game.

Natural Selection 2 might be worth checking out. The alpha is pretty slow but it might pick up.

Try Bioshock 1 & 2 for some single player action also.

Okay. I think I will add BC2 to my rig. It sounds interesting. Any tips for learning how to play a full battlefield game?

TF2 looks too arcade like for me. Not familiar with cs:s . lol. I told you, I'm new to gaming.

Had Bioshock, but I for some reason can't find it anymore. Not sure what Crysis is either....

Play medic in BC2, it helps when you are learning.

TF2 frequently goes on sale so I would just grab it then, it's pretty much a must play.

I forgot about Killing Floor, it's a co-op zombie kill fest, lots of vids on youtube. Tons of populated servers.

My first post comes off a bit harsh, sorry haha.

Okay. I think I will add BC2 to my rig. It sounds interesting. Any tips for learning how to play a full battlefield game?

TF2 looks too arcade like for me. Not familiar with cs:s . lol. I told you, I'm new to gaming.

Had Bioshock, but I for some reason can't find it anymore. Not sure what Crysis is either....

read the controls, I played for 2 days without knowing I could spot enemies for my team with the socialization key, and without knowing I could spawn on my teammates instead of at the base... other than that - I'm still learning new things, I just started bc2 last week but I'm loving it coming from cod mw1/2

There's a ton of great games in all genres, you shouldn't limit yourself to only the FPS genre.

Not familiar with cs:s.
CS:S = Counterstrike:Source. The CS games are the most successful team based PC multiplayer FPS series of all time. Occasionally when a new title comes out (for example a CoD game) it overtakes CS for a while but eventually CS ends up back on top. CS:S doesn't have the visuals of games like CoD - but its multiplayer gameplay imo is a lot more satisfying, less about randomness and more about skill.

Note though that CS is very unforgiving - the average CS player has been playing for maybe 4-5 years and many players have been playing for 6+ years. Its easy to learn but hard to master - the curve is a bit higher than your average FPS game but its very much worth it if you stick to it. The competitive/professional scene is also fun to follow if you're into that sort of thing.

Not sure what Crysis is either....
Damn. Crysis (and it's memes) have gone mainstream to the point where people who don't play games at all have heard of it. Basically Crysis on Ultra settings is the game that will bend your PC over and horribly violate it, without lube. But it sure looks good while doing so.

Play medic in BC2, it helps when you are learning.

TF2 frequently goes on sale so I would just grab it then, it's pretty much a must play.

I forgot about Killing Floor, it's a co-op zombie kill fest, lots of vids on youtube. Tons of populated servers.

My first post comes off a bit harsh, sorry haha.

Playing medic sounds like a good tip, thanks.....I found both your posts very helpful. Thanks.

read the controls, I played for 2 days without knowing I could spot enemies for my team with the socialization key, and without knowing I could spawn on my teammates instead of at the base... other than that - I'm still learning new things, I just started bc2 last week but I'm loving it coming from cod mw1/2

good to know. thanks.

I didn't notice if you were looking for multiplayer or single player. My suggestions:

Multiplayer
ArmA II - very realistic military game; awesome for multiplayer and great graphics; new stand-alone expansion pack is inexpensive
Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2 - I'd pick up the 2nd one personally; zombie shooter that's great in versus or co-op multiplayer

Single Player
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - wide open areas to explore; has a few expansions; set around the Chernobyl area; great atmosphere
Crysis - awesome single player experience; even has an expansion pack to extend the experience (plus it will prepare you for Crysis 2 coming out early next year)
Metro 2033 - more "on rails" experience like Modern Warfare's single player

There's a ton of great games in all genres, you shouldn't limit yourself to only the FPS genre.

CS:S = Counterstrike:Source. The CS games are the most successful team based PC multiplayer FPS series of all time. Occasionally when a new title comes out (for example a CoD game) it overtakes CS for a while but eventually CS ends up back on top. CS:S doesn't have the visuals of games like CoD - but its multiplayer gameplay imo is a lot more satisfying, less about randomness and more about skill.

Note though that CS is very unforgiving - the average CS player has been playing for maybe 4-5 years and many players have been playing for 6+ years. Its easy to learn but hard to master - the curve is a bit higher than your average FPS game but its very much worth it if you stick to it. The competitive/professional scene is also fun to follow if you're into that sort of thing.

Damn. Crysis (and it's memes) have gone mainstream to the point where people who don't play games at all have heard of it. Basically Crysis on Ultra settings is the game that will bend your PC over and horribly violate it, without lube. But it sure looks good while doing so.

CS:S sounds like a lot of fun, but I really suck at pc games for some reason. I like the better graphics and game play of the pc, but I think I will avoid a game that intense. Especially playing as a noob.

I checked out crysis, a couple of vids for it. Have heard of it, but never knew what it was about. I see a lot of reviews including crysis as a benchmark, so I figured it was a pc intensive game. That's why I avoided it. I think that I will buy that one though and give it a try with my new rig.

I appreciate everyone's input thus far. Very helpful.

I didn't notice if you were looking for multiplayer or single player. My suggestions:

Multiplayer
ArmA II - very realistic military game; awesome for multiplayer and great graphics; new stand-alone expansion pack is inexpensive
Left 4 Dead or Left 4 Dead 2 - I'd pick up the 2nd one personally; zombie shooter that's great in versus or co-op multiplayer

Single Player
S.T.A.L.K.E.R - wide open areas to explore; has a few expansions; set around the Chernobyl area; great atmosphere
Crysis - awesome single player experience; even has an expansion pack to extend the experience (plus it will prepare you for Crysis 2 coming out early next year)
Metro 2033 - more "on rails" experience like Modern Warfare's single player

Man, that list is awesome. Thanks so much! :D

PS. Can anyone tell my if my system will handle crysis?

Glad I could help. :)

You're rig will do just fine. I'm on a much weaker machine than yours and can still play. You should be good as long as you're not trying massive resolutions.

Regarding bc2, search for pixel enemy's guide on YouTube for some good tips for those starting out.

i know you said tf2 looks too arcady, but i urge you to give it a try. i thought the same thing before i bought it and now im in love. there is a reason its still popular nearly 4 years down the road, its probably the most fun you can have online in a FPS. just in case you care, the critics agree. the orange box (which contained TF2, halflife 2, episodes 1 and 2, and portal) is tied for highest rated pc game release of all time on metacritic. pretty much just get the orange box, you will not be dissapointed with a single game in it and i think its only like $30 on steam.

i know you only said FPS games, but a couple other non FPS you might enjoy

mass effect 2 - an amazing, cinematic rpg experience. its like a movie where you get to pick what the actors say and the dialogue is seamless. the combat is third person shooter.

borderlands - while this is technically an FPS, it is also an RPG. if you enjoy collecting massive amounts of loot and rediculous guns this game is quite fun. the art style is cell shaded though, but much less cartoony than TF2.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Borderlands yet. It's a really fun game and co-op is a hoot.

Also, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 are zombie-licious.

Role Playing Game.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

lol, I'm 43. I should be asking my nephews these questions, lol. I just want to get into more games now that I finally have a good rig. Seeing what's out there beyond COD.

Battlefield BC2 if you like nonstop action, explosions and team play
Left 4 Dead if you like zombies
Counterstrike Source
Borderlands is really fun.
Doom 3 (if you havent played it do so, its really awesome, but you might need mods to get it looking right on a widescreen) widescreen gaming forum should have all the mods you need.
Unreal Tournament 2004 if you like team play

Thats what me and every single one of my CAL-IM Counter Srike 1.6 buddies told ourselves.

Every single one of us has got upward of 200hrs logged in that game.

Its a superb game. That said, at 500 hrs, its finally worn off for me.
edit: --I still like to go online and run surf maps while listening to prodigy, as demented as that is, lol.

nice pc in your sig, amazing for someone who’s not familiar with CS:S and Crysis

CS:S
TF2
L4D 2
BC2

Yea, CS:S or BC2. Tried out MW2....maybe I just sucked...but didn't enjoy it. Could try it out though. Maybe your cup of tea. Nice rig btw.

Hate to ask, but what does RPG mean?

lol, one of the cool things google does is maintain a largely accurate dictionary, full of acronyms. If you come across one oniline that you dont understand, which happens to me quite often (IIRC, IMHO, etc), you can do a define:word search to get it for you.

Thanks guys. I know I am definitely going to add BC2 and Crysis to my list along with Black Ops when it comes out. I am still going back and forth on TF2, and maybe Arma 2. You guys are a great help.

I recommend Portal if you're into puzzles :) If you're into horror FPSs, go for F.E.A.R. & F.E.A.R. 2. I loved them both a ton.

TF2, Battlefield BC2, L4D 1 & 2 and MW2 should keep you going for a very long time. Enjoyed the hell out of all

SP games I would recommend the Stalker series.

While we are all recommending TF2 and Portal, wait for the Orange Box to go on sale on Steam (where you should be buying all your games on sale anyway) and pick it up. Orange Box comes with Team Fortress 2, Portal, Half Life 2, Half Life 2 Episode 1 & 2. Definitely worth it.

BTW Steam has a midweek sale every Wednesday and weekend sales every weekend. They also have a huge blowout between Christmas and New Years where you can pic up at least a years worth of games for $50. Pretty much everything is 50-80% off then.

I'm suprised no one has mentioned Borderlands yet. It's a really fun game and co-op is a hoot.

Also, Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 are zombie-licious.

read a couple posts up, borderlands was recommended.

looks like this guy is gonna have a lot on his plate. but then again asking for advice on games in this forum is like asking an english professor what books to read. the list may be longer than you like, but you really cant go wrong.

not into the RPG games too much. I like war games the best, especially FPS games. The list grows, and now I am just learning about steam. Have to read up on that....thanks

Back