New Gaming Computer

Dawgdoc

Limp Gawd
Hello all!

Its been awhile. Ive been out of the OC scene for awhile, and Im looking to build a new gaming computer. My time to put one together myself is limited, so Im considering going with cyberpc.com

Here is a system I am tenatively looking at putting together. Nothing is definite yet. I would appreciate any input as I have been inactive in building computers and OC'ing for a few years now and the newer products have surpassed my recent computer knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Any suggestions on changes appreciated :)

Case: * CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 200mm Fan, Integrated Fan Controller, Front USB 3.0 & X-Dock, and Easy Carry Handle

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

Cooling Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)

Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79 G1 Assassin 2 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Creative 20K2 HD Audio, Killer E2100 LAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked)

Power Supply: 1,050 Watts - Corsair HX1050W 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

Hard Drive: 512 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 535 MB/s Read & 475 MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Sound: Asus Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI Sound Card

Hello all!

Its been awhile. Ive been out of the OC scene for awhile, and Im looking to build a new gaming computer. My time to put one together myself is limited, so Im considering going with cyberpc.com

Here is a system I am tenatively looking at putting together. Nothing is definite yet. I would appreciate any input as I have been inactive in building computers and OC'ing for a few years now and the newer products have surpassed my recent computer knowledge.

Thanks in advance!

PS - Any suggestions on changes appreciated :)

Case: * CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full Tower Gaming Case w/ 200mm Fan, Integrated Fan Controller, Front USB 3.0 & X-Dock, and Easy Carry Handle

CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-3820 Quad-Core 3.60 GHz 10MB Intel Smart Cache LGA2011

Cooling Fan: CyberPower Xtreme Hydro Liquid Cooling Kit 360MM w/ Triple Fan(CPU & GPU Liquid Cool Capable, Extreme Overclocking Performance + Extreme Silent at 18dBA)

Motherboard: (3-Way SLI Support) Gigabyte X79 G1 Assassin 2 Intel X79 Chipset Quad Channel DDR3 ATX Mainboard w/ UEFI DualBIOS, Creative 20K2 HD Audio, Killer E2100 LAN, USB3.0, SATA-III RAID, 3 Gen3 PCIe X16, 2 PCIe X1 & 1 PCI

Memory: 16GB (4GBx4) DDR3/1600MHz Quad Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance)

Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680 2GB 16X PCIe 3.0 Video Card (EVGA Superclocked)

Power Supply: 1,050 Watts - Corsair HX1050W 80 Plus Power Supply - Quad SLI Ready

Hard Drive: 512 GB OCZ Vertex 4 SATA-III 6.0Gb/s - 535 MB/s Read & 475 MB/s Write (Single Drive)

Sound: Asus Xonar Essence ST 24-bit 192KHz PCI Sound Card

Actually, several of the parts are not that good of a choice:

1) You do not need the i7-3820 at all - nor do you need an LGA 2011 platform at all. The Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 CPUs have just been launched today, so you will want an i5-3570 CPU and a Z77 motherboard instead unless you are planning to use three or more GPUs in the same system. In addition, the i7-3820 is actually slower-performing at games than lesser CPUs.

2) If you do go for IB, there is absolutely no need for a 1050W PSU. You will do just fine with a good-quality 650W PSU.

3) The memory that you selected may be a poor match to the i7-3820 or i7-3930K: Those two CPUs really need memory that's rated no higher than 1.35V - but the Vengeance RAM is rated at 1.5V. In addition, the i7-3820 and the i7-3930K have compatibility issues with RAM that uses Micron chips.

4) The OCZ SSD is, well, not recommended by us - if only due to OCZ's generally poor customer service.

5) And don't buy anything from CyberPower or iBuyPower unless you are willing to inspect every single component after you receive the system before you even plug it in at all: That vendor is notorious for sloppy, careless assembly quality (for example, many of the screws on these systems are left very loose befiore shipping - and then, those screws fall off and severely damage some or all of the components in the systems). And be prepared to return the entire system for repairs if any damage is found.

Actually, several of the parts are not that good of a choice:

1) You do not need the i7-3820 at all - nor do you need an LGA 2011 platform at all. The Ivy Bridge LGA 1155 CPUs have just been launched today, so you will want an i5-3570 CPU and a Z77 motherboard instead unless you are planning to use three or more GPUs in the same system. In addition, the i7-3820 is actually slower-performing at games than lesser CPUs.

2) If you do go for IB, there is absolutely no need for a 1050W PSU. You will do just fine with a good-quality 650W PSU.

3) The memory that you selected may be a poor match to the i7-3820 or i7-3930K: Those two CPUs really need memory that's rated no higher than 1.35V - but the Vengeance RAM is rated at 1.5V. In addition, the i7-3820 and the i7-3930K have compatibility issues with RAM that uses Micron chips.

4) The OCZ SSD is, well, not recommended by us - if only due to OCZ's generally poor customer service.

5) And don't buy anything from CyberPower or iBuyPower unless you are willing to inspect every single component after you receive the system before you even plug it in at all: That vendor is notorious for sloppy, careless assembly quality (for example, many of the screws on these systems are left very loose befiore shipping - and then, those screws fall off and severely damage some or all of the components in the systems). And be prepared to return the entire system for repairs if any damage is found.

TY for the well though out and detailed advice.

I will research the CPU/Memory/MB options further weighing your information in.

Which SSD would you recommend?

I have no problems spending time inspecting every single inch of every component. I just dont have time to assemble this myself.

Thanks again!!!

PS - I cant find the i5-3570 anywhere, even newegg.

Any links for specs/etc on that CPU?

Thx again :)

PS - I cant find the i5-3570 anywhere, even newegg.

Any links for specs/etc on that CPU?

Thx again :)

Not for sale yet. The large vendors should be getting them in over the next couple of weeks.

Pretty much everything that E4g1e said is correct.

SSD wise, I'd take a look at the Crucial m4 series, Samsung 830 series, or Intel 520 series SSDs.

If you seriously cannot find the time to build and possibly troubleshoot the PC, I'd recommend taking a look at these PC vendors:
- Puget Systems
- Dell
- Digital Storm Online
- Maingear
- Velocity Micro

They generally have solid parts available.

A few more questions that we need answered:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
6) Will you be overclocking?
7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?

I would ditch the Xonar, and get a HT Claro my friend. Not saying that the Xonar is bad, but HT Claro Plus has opamp for the front channels making it sound a lot more powerful and rich.

Pretty much everything that E4g1e said is correct.

SSD wise, I'd take a look at the Crucial m4 series, Samsung 830 series, or Intel 520 series SSDs.

If you seriously cannot find the time to build and possibly troubleshoot the PC, I'd recommend taking a look at these PC vendors:
- Puget Systems
- Dell
- Digital Storm Online
- Maingear
- Velocity Micro

They generally have solid parts available.

A few more questions that we need answered:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
99% gaming, and some web browsing

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
No budget. I am lucky enough to do well at my job.

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
USA NY

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case/CPU/CPU Heatsink/Memory/Mobo/PSU/HD/Optical Drive

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Reusing peripherals only. G15 keyboard, Razer Naga mouse, Monitor (listed below), Headset Razer Megadolon, Speakers Logitech...Z51?

6) Will you be overclocking?
Yes, but not right away. I need to brush up on the new tech. Im a highly experienced OC'er. Ive done subzero/competitions/etc, but Ive been out of circulation for about 3 years, which is a LIFETIME for computers :p

7) What size monitor do you have and/or plan to have?
Currently using a 28" 1920x1200 HannsG but will be upgrading that this summer.

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
ASAP

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video? UEFI? etc.
Not going to RAID. Not going SLI/Xfire (I hate using them for gaming....Single GPU only but DEFINITELY no onboard video!!!!) The rest Im not sure about. Technology has surpassed my current knowledgebase.

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? 32bit or 64bit?
64bit for sure. Going to be buying a new copy. Prob Win7 x64 professional. I hate ultimate versions as they are usually too bloated for my tastes. I like lean, clean, and efficient OS.

I would ditch the Xonar, and get a HT Claro my friend. Not saying that the Xonar is bad, but HT Claro Plus has opamp for the front channels making it sound a lot more powerful and rich.

TY for all of the advice!

Any and all additional input appreciated :)

I would suggest if you have no budget. Please wait for the 690 or wait for the 680 4GB. Much more better investment only if you got that cash of course.

Updated/Amended parts list.

Well, after thinking about things Ive decided I will just build this myself, and I am willing to wait a few weeks for newer items to become available.

Here is what I have so far. LMK if Ive screwed something up or there are better choices available :)

Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H

CPU: I am willing to wait for the i5-3570 release in a few weeks if that is a superior or recommended CPU

Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
16GB should be plenty I assume. No need for 32GB? That would seem overly excessive to me.

GPU: Unsure. Willing to wait for the newer 4gb 690 model to come out if thats recommended?

Storage: Crucial M4 CT512M4SSD2 2.5" 512GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
This will be for OS and any main games im playing, and ill toss in a 1TB HD for media and other storage.

PSU: CORSAIR Professional Series Gold AX850 (CMPSU-850AX)
I have a love affair with Corsair CPUs and esp their modular series.

Case/Optical Drives Ill just grab whatever.

Hows the updated list look now?

Again...Thanks in advance!!!

Oh, and the 690 is going to be unveiled on April 28. So wait it out a couple of more days before getting a GPU.

Also, suggestions on the most current BEST aftermarket air heatsink/coolers for both the CPU and GPU appreciated.

Im not going to water cool. THAT would be too labor intensive to modify the case, put together the loop/etc....

Also, suggestions on the most current BEST aftermarket air heatsink/coolers for both the CPU and GPU appreciated.

Im not going to water cool. THAT would be too labor intensive to modify the case, put together the loop/etc....

I think a Corsair H100 would be great if you got that bang or go for the H80 as it has rebate. As for GPU cooler. If you are getting the 690, then I don't know of any aftermarket coolers for it right now.

I think a Corsair H100 would be great if you got that bang or go for the H80 as it has rebate. As for GPU cooler. If you are getting the 690, then I don't know of any aftermarket coolers for it right now.

Prob not interested in water cooling, unless the newer systems are prebuilt and really exceptional.

Again, back in my day water loops were all custom, and very labor intensive to get going both with building the loop and modding the case.

Im willing to invest the time to build the computer but in NO WAY have the time for case modding or building a custom water loop.

EDIT: I see that the H100 is a self contained no frills CPU cooler.

How easy is it to mount this to the case? How is the quality? I know Jake "Capt Planet" personally from OC competitions so if he is endorsing it thats a big plus for me....

Last edited:
Prob not interested in water cooling, unless the newer systems are prebuilt and really exceptional.

Again, back in my day water loops were all custom, and very labor intensive to get going both with building the loop and modding the case.

Im willing to invest the time to build the computer but in NO WAY have the time for case modding or building a custom water loop.

EDIT: I see that the H100 is a self contained no frills CPU cooler.

How easy is it to mount this to the case? How is the quality? I know Jake "Capt Planet" personally from OC competitions so if he is endorsing it thats a big plus for me....

Yeah the H100 is just like a regular aftermarket CPU fan cooler. You just need to make sure you have room for that huge 240mm radiator.

CPU: I am willing to wait for the i5-3570 release in a few weeks if that is a superior or recommended CPU
really only worth waiting for if you really need that 5% performance increase or plan on getting SLI/Crossfire. Since you're not, you should be fine with the Core i5 2500K.

Memory: CORSAIR DOMINATOR 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
16GB should be plenty I assume. No need for 32GB? That would seem overly excessive to me.
16GB is plently. However that RAM is overpriced as it does not offer any tangible benefits over two sets of this 8GB RAM set:
$96 - 2 x G.Skill Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR 2 x 4GB DDR3 1600 RAM

~$70 less but virtually the same performance.

GPU: Unsure. Willing to wait for the newer 4gb 690 model to come out if thats recommended?
The GTX 680 2GB should be enough for 1920x1080. However the GTX 680 is barely available for sale. So if you can't wait for the GTX 680 2GB to be back in stock, the HD 7970 isn't that bad of an alternative if you need the PC right away.

Back