New Gateway 24 inch Monitor.

Drawbacks:

TN panel =(
160 Viewing Angle

Why can't the other non TN panels get it right?
In your opinion, do the positives outweigh the drawbacks? That's a big list of positives you posted. To me viewing angle is not significant because I'm the sole user and rarely move around.

Picked up mine yesterday from Bestbuy (they had two) and was able to get $30 off for the coupon (could not get full 10% as manager said monitor was not vaild). Anyway, monitor is overall awesome and has 1:1 and overscan on/off over HDMI (didn't try other connections yet). Great Picture.

So far I don't see any dead pixels but this is my first LCD so maybe I am not looking for them right. Is there a picture that I can display on the monitor to help look for dead pixels? Would they be black or white? What should I look for?

Thanks

Dell is coming out with a new 24" Panel as suggested by the Japanese Dell press release.
Source translated HERE:

http://translate.google.com/translate?u=http://www1.jp.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/pressoffice/2007/071011b%3Fc%3Djp%26l%3Dja%26s%3Dcorp

Looking from the initial spec it could be the same panel/technology as the gateway FHD2400.

it's 24", 1920x1200, 5ms, 92% color gamut, 5ms, and possibly a TN panel judging from the price.

I just came from the 24"WFP-HC and it's horrible for gaming due to the inverse ghosting issue and is now in the process of returning it for a full refund. The gateway FHD2400 seems like an excellent 24"gaming panel if the positive reponses from this thread is any indication, I might just go ahead and go pick this up at the local B&M CC or BB.

To the person asking about the drawbacks of the TN panel. I have owned PVA panels, and I personally believe that looking at those panels head-on does not provide the optimal image. This monitor seems to provide the best image from head-on. Also, the glossy screen makes the image look really sharp. Vista windows actually look like glass, and thought it's been said before, the blacks are impressive even without calibration. The 3 ms response time is also awesome. Improved blacks, fast response time, lenient horizontal viewing angles, and low price are all positive aspects coming from using a TN panel.

Dead pixels will be white because they are simply transmitting light. To test for it, you can simply set your desktop to solid black. There are programs to set the entire screen one color, though, and this is useful to look for stuck pixels.

There are also programs that claim the ability to resuscitate dead pixels, albeit not in all cases.

I tested with just about a full white and then black picture and there didn't look to be any dead/stuck pixels, which is a good thing.

Also, does anyone know how to set 480p anamorphic wide-screen (853x480)? I have Playstation 3 at 480p mode over HDMI, but it looks to be using 720x480 for both 4:3 and 16:9 progressive scan. I need 640x480 for 4:3 and 853x480 for 16:9 (these are the correct aspect ratios). Have been trying to fix this for the last few hours, no luck.

Gateway support is shit and they have no clue about anything.

I tested with just about a full white and then black picture and there didn't look to be any dead/stuck pixels, which is a good thing.

Also, does anyone know how to set 480p anamorphic wide-screen (853x480)? I have Playstation 3 at 480p mode over HDMI, but it looks to be using 720x480 for both 4:3 and 16:9 progressive scan. I need 640x480 for 4:3 and 853x480 for 16:9 (these are the correct aspect ratios). Have been trying to fix this for the last few hours, no luck.

Gateway support is shit and they have no clue about anything.
Seems like that's an issue with the PS3? I'm not sure.

Don't think so, I mean 16:9 DVDs are anamorphic as well, so it's not just a PS3 thing.

Also, when setting PS3 to 16:9 at 480p it says set your TV for 16:9 widescreen, or in this case the monitor. But I can't find how to do it.

I just picked one up. Looks good. The only issue I have is that the monitor tends to want to turn clockwise a bit. That is, due to the monitors ability to display in portrait mode, the weight of the cables tends to turn the monitor a millimeter.

Gateway Dead Pixel Policy: 10% Or More[/CODE]

OMG....you mean you could have 200,000 (less than 10% of the 2,304,000 pixels in this display) dead pixels and it would be technically not warrantable? Did I miss something.....??????

OMG....you mean you could have 200,000 (less than 10% of the 2,304,000 pixels in this display) dead pixels and it would be technically not warrantable? Did I miss something.....??????

The person I was talking to didn't have the best phone, so it was hard to hear everything. I know for sure he said 10, but he might said 10 stuck/dead pixels or more rather then more then 10% stuck/dead pixels. 10 or more sounds correct anyway.

Picked up mine yesterday from Bestbuy (they had two) and was able to get $30 off for the coupon (could not get full 10% as manager said monitor was not vaild). Anyway, monitor is overall awesome and has 1:1 and overscan on/off over HDMI (didn't try other connections yet). Great Picture.

So far I don't see any dead pixels but this is my first LCD so maybe I am not looking for them right. Is there a picture that I can display on the monitor to help look for dead pixels? Would they be black or white? What should I look for?

Thanks

Try Dead pixel buddy, a great program for checking for dead pixels.You can download it here:

http://www.softpedia.com/progDownload/Dead-Pixel-Buddy-Download-32638.html

I have the 1st version of the gateway 24" and have been pretty happy with the monitor. I also use it as a TV so I am not sure if the new version will be as good due to the TN viewing angles. The Gateway speaker bar sucks in my opinion and would recommend the Logitech Z-4 speaker system which can be seen here:

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Logi...34117/catOid/-17141/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

The speakers and kick ass and can be turned up to max with little to no distortion and have a separate volume control with a blue light to match the theme of the monitor. An ipod can also be hooked up in a snap.

Wheres Ferris23 on this new thread? He always had some great feedback.....

Back