New HardOCP Thread

Wow, never noticed that. 46% load on a dual core Opteron (yes, both threads see action).

Pretty bad...

Some of you really are the biggest bunch of cry babies I've ever had the (dis)pleasure of encountering. "WHAAAA! I see ads! I don't like! I've been around forever, so obey me! I want it MY WAY! I want it now! I don't care what anyone else wants!" Blah, blah, blah.

Until you start paying the bills, or sending Kyle & Co. a sizeable montly check, then ones feedback ought to be a little more respectful / constructive vs. demanding and high handed.

Are the ads a little annoying? Perhaps. But for fucks sake, if you've REALLY been on the 'net since the late 90's and haven't learned how to mentally TUNE THEM OUT then it's time to learn. Personally I look at them once and ignore them until I see they've changed. Takes less than a second to do and after which they're just "there" without really being seen.

As for there being too many ads, really, what the hell? On this laptop display, which is all of 1280x800 there are less than three page scrolls of ads; after which it's blank to both sides. The way some of you are carrying on would make it seem like these ads are FROZEN in place at the top and both sides of the screen. THAT'S a sign of a truly annoying website, which thankfully isn't the case here.

Did check out my CPU levels on the main page and found them to be high. I'm sure this is a fluke and that it will be corrected in the immediate future. Honestly, do you really think they'd do that ON PURPOSE JUST TO PISS YOU OFF? No.

Haven't noticed the text width issue on any of my displays, but then I've never had the "must have the highest resolution possible!" fetish. (Hell, ~12+ years ago a friend of mine would run 1600x1200 on a 15" monitor because he could... drove me insane) IMHO those of you running extremely high resolutions are actually in the minority; but feel free to start a topic/poll in GM about it to find out for yourself. Personally when I'm reading web pages I prefer the text size to be some what large.

The article header text color is a little annoying, yes, but not worth being up in arms about. They want something that stands out and it certainly does the job.

All in all, I like it. Yes it's a little different, but change is good and the change is long over due. For those of you that don't like it, well, I'm sure there are other sites out there you can take your *cough*business*cough* to if you so desire.

Oh, and lastly, anyone who's stupid enough to bitch about the ads and such, but then come right out and say they block said ads, fully deserves what's coming to them. Honestly, talk about being a bloody moron!

Regards,
fastgeek

phide said:
Wow, never noticed that. 46% load on a dual core Opteron (yes, both threads see action).

Pretty bad...
on my old 2400+ it is peaking at 90%

fastgeek said:
Did check out my CPU levels on the main page and found them to be high. I'm sure this is a fluke and that it will be corrected in the immediate future. Honestly, do you really think they'd do that ON PURPOSE JUST TO PISS YOU OFF? No.
not that hardocp had anything to do with the ads they just specify the size and placement and who not the content that is given to them and displayed with a script. at least if i remember my web coding right that is how they do it...

this reminds me of that old newegg add that used to be on the fourms that did the same thing.

and as for the new look of the front page do we really need 5 news tabs.

and another thing that happened with the advent of the new page it will now nolonger load on my psp with out giving me the out of memory error but it still loads most of what i want to see

other than my few qualms about it it looks unique...in a good way i guess

Until you start paying the bills, or sending Kyle & Co. a sizeable montly check, then ones feedback ought to be a little more respectful / constructive vs. demanding and high handed.

I'd much rather send them a check than suffer through the ads (or block them). I doubt the check would have to be especially sizable though. Even with my daily visit, I'd be surprised if my ad impressions make the [H] $20 / year. Other websites have successfully used an optional subscription-based system. I think it would be a good idea here.

Well... I for one welcome our new [H]ads|OCP Overlords! :D

heh.. kiddin! kiddin! :p

Just so you know, I built web standard compliance websites for a living, and needless to say, I can relate on how hard it is to pull off a good refitting of a high profile website such as the [H]. So, Congrats goes to the [H] crew for taking the leap to web standards. As with any high profile sites, there will be mix emotions from its patrons -- fix width vs variable width... flash ads infested vs minimalistic ads approach... browser inconsistencies... the list goes on.

I hope the sections work out too. It would've been alot wiser to launch with the sections intact and working, but only time will tell. I bet haiku's working like a bitch from hell right about now :D hehe... keep it up bro!

I suggest to all those who frequent the [H], to give the crew a chance to iron things out. It might be for the better for most of us, but surely you can't satisfy everyone.

If ads bother you so much use Adblock. Kyle's just going to send the [H]dawgs after you. heh...

KrulL

electech98 said:
Geesh...I just noticed the whole thing with the CPU utilization when on the [H] frontpage, hovering between 45 and 50% on the firefox.exe process when the BFG ad is running. When it goes to a frozen image, the CPU utilization goes down to 0%. Any way that this could be reduced?

EDIT: it's the same thing when running Internet Explorer (iexplorer.exe).
I have to add my voice to this complaint. I just upgraded Opera to 8.52. With Opera the CPU utiliztion shoots to as high as 91% with the front page open. With IE the CPU utiliztion shoots to as high as 84% with the front page open.

And I not running ANY ad-blocking software.

This needs to be fixed, pronto.

EDIT: This problem is not limited to Windows. Using both Opera 8.52 and Safari on my Mac running OS X 10.4.4, I'm seeing anywhere from 28% to 88% CPU usage.

KrulL said:

KrulL
Citizens of Planet Houston... KNEEL BEFORE ZOD!

zod.jpg

Thank the Lord that's not Kyle, although I think Steve might like the leather.

The nice thing about the [H] is that while it might not be a democracy, Kyle will at least hear us out, as long as we're not being a BUNCH OF WHINEY BITCHES. Instead of crying that Kyle needs ads to pay for several thousand of us leaching free information off him, why don't you give him constructive criticism, like what size the ClubIT ad should be. As you see with the forum format, now, he did listen to those that were giving him constructive criticism to improve the site, but was VERY UNDERSTANDABLY angered by all the whiners.

I posted this in a different thread, and then found out it wasn't the official thread for the new site, so I'm reposting it.

I love the new site. Great work.

Just one note:

The "Voodoo PC Aria Media Center" review is showing at the top in the featured articles section, but is not showing down in the latest articles section under [H]Consumer.

Zephix said:
I'd much rather send them a check than suffer through the ads (or block them). I doubt the check would have to be especially sizable though. Even with my daily visit, I'd be surprised if my ad impressions make the [H] $20 / year. Other websites have successfully used an optional subscription-based system. I think it would be a good idea here.

Well, if the movement of the ads is what bothers you, I suggest context-clicking (right-clicking) the ad and hitting the back button. That stops the ad from moving, without blocking it.

Now, in terms of the money from ads - the revenue for the ads comes from the download of the ad, not your actual viewing of it. If there were a way to download the ad but not view it in your browser, then that would not result in any lost revenue. Let me be clear here - I'm not endorsing the blocking ads from downloading, and depriving the venerable [H] from any revenue. I'm of the opinion that, if you block the ad downloads, it's like going into a comic book store each day and reading the comics, but never buying anything - that's not fair to the [H]. So, if anyone does feel the absolute need to adblock, they should do it in a way that doesn't block the download of the ads.

-SEAL

KrulL said:

heh.. kiddin! kiddin! :p

Just so you know, I built web2.0 compliance websites for a living, and needless to say, I can relate on how hard it is to pull off a good refitting of a high profile website such as the [H]. So, Congrats goes to the [H] crew for taking the leap to web2.0 standards. As with any high profile sites, there will be mix emotions from its patrons -- fix width vs variable width... flash ads infested vs minimalistic ads approach... browser inconsistencies... the list goes on.

I hope the sections work out too. It would've been alot wiser to launch with the sections intact and working, but only time will tell. I bet haiku's working like a bitch from hell right about now :D hehe... keep it up bro!

I suggest to all those who frequent the [H], to give the crew a chance to iron things out. It might be for the better for most of us, but surely you can't satisfy everyone.

If ads bother you so much use Adblock. Kyle's just going to send the [H]dawgs after you. heh...

KrulL

How exactly is [H] Web 2.0? There is no social ranking in the news, there is no "application feel" to the site. There are some neat CSS and Flash tricks but that is about it.

The whole idea behind Web 2.0 is the socially driven content sites like those that rate news, and tagging. OR making sites behave more like standard applications.

In all honestly Web 2.0 is a load of crap, but if you are going to use the buzz word at least get it right.

Pehaps you are talking about web standards and then I would agree, yes it is nice to see [H] move to web standards, or at least close enough to them until the browsers become more inline in terms of display quirks (yeah right).

fastgeek said:
Calm down. Nobody accused the [H] of purposefully jacking our CPU utilization by using the ads. It needed to be pointed out so that the [H] was aware of the problem. Geez.

Looks like that bfg ad is fixed...? seems to perform better anyway :D

I'm running Firefox on a more or less default SuSE Linux 10.0 with Gnome... Everything looks fine with the new layout, except:

Untitled.png

Not sure why it's doing that only in Linux. Firefox is usually pretty consistent and it looks fine in Windows.

Why is the text a graphic? Is this some new 'HTML something'?

I don't like the text how it is. Because I like the idea of coping text of random hardware and pasting them into newegg to get a price. Now I have to spend 5 mins coping "ATI SUPER EXTREME EDITION ZX550RT GT ULTRA XXX 432456-MBR-7" and all that crap. Bring back a way to use normal TEXT.

That’s all I have to say, other then I think the Hard Console and every other branch of [H] is a waist of your time.

Zinn said:
Not sure why it's doing that only in Linux. Firefox is usually pretty consistent and it looks fine in Windows.
It was mentioned before, and it only seems to be happening on Linux, 'least it isn't happening on my Windows Firefox (1.5).

There should be a 'width' button for users at high resolutions. There is a tremendous amount of wasted space right now. Other than that minor quirk, it looks nice.

Wow, rather impressed with the new look. Those are my first impressions. I'll be sure to complain here about any things I find wrong with the new [H] as well.

Thanks for all your work, ... to all the workers of the [H]

Xenarchy said:
How exactly is [H] Web 2.0? There is no social ranking in the news, there is no "application feel" to the site. There are some neat CSS and Flash tricks but that is about it.

The whole idea behind Web 2.0 is the socially driven content sites like those that rate news, and tagging. OR making sites behave more like standard applications.

In all honestly Web 2.0 is a load of crap, but if you are going to use the buzz word at least get it right.

Pehaps you are talking about web standards and then I would agree, yes it is nice to see [H] move to web standards, or at least close enough to them until the browsers become more inline in terms of display quirks (yeah right).
heh chill.. yeah I ment web standards... so sue me :p. I was caffine juiced up when I wrote that reply... and was reading on how digg kept on posting web2.0 topics. Oh well... You see those Dinobanoids from planet Zor is already brainwashing us! THE invasion has begun! :D (yep still juiced up! heh...)

fastgeek said:
Oh, and lastly, anyone who's stupid enough to bitch about the ads and such, but then come right out and say they block said ads, fully deserves what's coming to them. Honestly, talk about being a bloody moron..
Guess some people just love to see themselves banned... :rolleyes:

chinoquezada said:
Guess some people just love to see themselves banned... :rolleyes:
Usually the same exact people who cry that they're constantly victims of fascism. LOL

Great work with the site. I've been a huge fan of [H]ard|OCP for a long time, and this recent redesign of the site, while definitely beautifying the whole experience, hasn't affected my actual browsing in any negative way. Unobtrusive styling, easy navigation... Blah blah blah.

There is one thing though. The featured articles links on the front page are in Flash format. Perhaps it's just my browsing style, but when I come to a news-oriented website (like your own) I tend to open up two or three extraneous tabs that pertain to big news events, or, as the case may be, new [H]ard articles. I can no longer open up links to the articles in a tab (that is, without the use of a 3rd party extension for Firefox).

Like I said, it's no biggie. It'd just be nice to be able to come to the front page, see an article of interest and open in a tab (to the side) and then meander through the news postings, only to return to the juicy goodness of the article later on. As I currently see it, it's only the text links themselves that are formatted in Flash, so it wouldn't be too awfully hard to use a simple CSS rollover to get the same effect. It wouldn't be sexified without Flash's smoothing on the jaggies of the text, though. Perhaps that's why you went with Flash in the first place?

The rest of my experience with the website has been very pleasurable... The four-tier layout is brilliant, by the way. I particularly like the colours in the Consumer tab.

Congrats on a beaut' of a layout and good luck with the rest of the year!

:)

Jambe said:
The rest of my experience with the website has been very pleasurable... The four-tier layout is brilliant, by the way. I particularly like the colours in the Consumer tab.

Congrats on a beaut' of a layout and good luck with the rest of the year!:)

Why do people like white backgrounds with black text so much? Hurts my eyes.

Love the new look, but I have to agree that [H] is having too many distracting and annoying ads on the front page. I don't mind ads. I click on ads. I, however don't like it when there are big high contrast flashing blinking glitzing ads buried in and surrouding the text i'm trying to read. Makes it difficult to focus on the reading.

Other than that, I love it! Thanks for still providing a quality website for people who care about quality reviews.

Why are the headings (the ones with the dates in them) flash? Why in Firefox do the headings in the featured articles appear once as an image and once again as a Flash object?

NB These are not ads, just pieces of text. If you must use a graphic for text, can't it be a graphic and not Flash?

I do think the design is a great improvement, but I'm disappointed that the "bunches-of-other-product-links-crammed-together" sections have survived the transition.

It's fugly and confused. As a result I usually skip those puddles of yellow lines.

I much prefer an organized layout like Tech Report uses.

Sir-Fragalot said:
Why do people like white backgrounds with black text so much? Hurts my eyes.
Because white-on-black and black-on-white offer the highest contrast and best readability. If it hurts your eyes, you should adjust your display or rest your eyes. :)

It's certainly better than yellow or red on black as far as eyestrain goes.

fastgeek said:
Oh, and lastly, anyone who's stupid enough to bitch about the ads and such, but then come right out and say they block said ads, fully deserves what's coming to them. Honestly, talk about being a bloody moron!
Yeah, that IS pretty dumb.

I liked Kyle's comment a few pages back, where he said he's running the "Ban People Who Ban My Ads" software. Too funny.

Jambe said:
There is one thing though. The featured articles links on the front page are in Flash format. Perhaps it's just my browsing style, but when I come to a news-oriented website (like your own) I tend to open up two or three extraneous tabs that pertain to big news events, or, as the case may be, new [H]ard articles. I can no longer open up links to the articles in a tab (that is, without the use of a 3rd party extension for Firefox).
click the image, not the text ;) i hadn't noticed that problem, because the first review i clicked i clicked the image and not the text. flash links suck, IMHO. you can't say open in new window (without screwing around with tab mix plus options to make all links open in new tabs or somesuch) you can't do tabbed browsing properly... i recommend making them real text.

add me to the "variable width would be appreciated" list - i have about 400 blank pixels on each side... i dislike fixed width sites with a passion. not only does that mean i waste real estate, but when i un-maximize the window it has to be at least that wide. of course, this is just a minor quibble...

the page loads are also a little slow. this is on cached (i hope?) pages. it just takes my computer a few seconds to render everything on the site. the clubit ad seems out of place... i'm hoping that isn't the final size for that ad spot. it interrupts the flow a bit much. hopefully that is just temporary.

overall i like the new site design. nicely done!

looks good except no more resizable text in IE6? that makes for very small text on my 24" monitor.

Please, resizable text. TIA

I use Mozilla on Linux.
Is this how it's supposed to look?

hocp.jpg

What's with the white bars?

Back